PC Bug Report for Multiplayer Lags in 1.3

That's a different type of lag, bud. And it's most likely his internet, or yours.

No...I don't mean running the dedicated server client...i mean.. an actual Dedicated Server as in one that we pay for... It is nothing that has to do with internet speed or bandwidth...

*EDIT* Quotes got goofy on me...

Last edited:
No...I don't mean running the dedicated server client...i mean.. an actual Dedicated Server as in one that we pay for... It is nothing that has to do with internet speed or bandwidth...
Yes he did, I used one of Nitrado's side, the problem remained.

I'm a friend of him and we used a dedicated server, I rent for a few days. The problem remained, hope thats clear enough. :)

Ahh okay. Well, i suppose its good to know that it isn't just the company we host our server through...though, at this point i almost wish it was. :eek:

Ahh okay. Well, i suppose its good to know that it isn't just the company we host our server through...though, at this point i almost wish it was. :eek:
Me 2, but it seems like the multiplayer for itself is very unstable, I really got no clue what they did mess up there :).

I have tested this on many different OS, and the issue is not in Terraria, it is faulty setup in your computer. Including but not limited to:

Drivers of Graphic Cards (Betas can be unstable at times)
Settings of Control Panel on Graphics (turning on VSync ON/OFF can sometimes fix this issue depending on your power house)
Using application controlled settings is bad, and best to use the graphic's settings instead.
Running other applications such as OBS can lag FPS for no apparent reason (still unsolved)

I would recommend checking this first for NVidia Users, AMD users would need to check your own control panel:

Q: I am experiencing low frame rate for Terraria, but the machine passes as recommended?
A: If you are using nVidia Control Panel, you can select Terraria.exe process and change the specifications on how your graphic card handles the game. Follow these instructions:
  1. Open nVidia Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Choose Program Settings Tab.
  4. Select Terraria as current program.
  5. Turn Triple buffering and Vertical sync to On.
  6. Run Terraria and turn Frame Skip to Off.
  7. The application should be running better than your current setup.

I have tested this on many different OS, and the issue is not in Terraria, it is faulty setup in your computer. Including but not limited to:

Settings of Control Panel on Graphics (turning on VSync ON/OFF can sometimes fix this issue depending on your power house)
Using application controlled settings is bad, and best to use the graphic's settings instead.
Running other applications such as OBS can lag FPS for no apparent reason (still unsolved)

I would recommend checking this first for NVidia Users, AMD users would need to check your own control panel:

Q: I am experiencing low frame rate for Terraria, but the machine passes as recommended?
A: If you are using nVidia Control Panel, you can select Terraria.exe process and change the specifications on how your graphic card handles the game. Follow these instructions:

What about the dozens of people with shit laptops that have Intel cards?

As said, if you would read. I did that allready, also this does often only work on Pcs with like 3,2 ghz Dual Core or 2,4 Quad Core.

Also, the guys with Intel cant do that.

Note: You cant Select Terraria // you cant select anything with Amd Control Panel.

For those of you have not caught up on this matter:

Many of you complain and hi-jack other threads, Devs can't fix things if you just say "Same here". You need to specific as much detail about your system and the steps you take. If you fail to do this, all we can say its "your end" because your end failed to provide the details. I'll go ahead and post this so everyone can read it and start making their own threads of the issue:

Hi,

Welcome to PC Support Section.

In order to further assist you, please verify the following information below before proceeding. Please, we remind you that Terraria has certain requirements in order to function properly on your system. If you fail to check these requirements you may encounter errors or issues.

To avoid errors or mistakes, please consider posting your System Specifications. You can obtain this information by Right-Clicking My Computer on your system. You will get basic information about your Processor and RAM. If you wish to get a full detailed list, you can use third party software to determine your specifications or salvage the information from the Device Manager (Advanced Users). You may also use the available and recommended Third Party Software to gain your full system specifications for our technicians.

How to improve your support thread
  • Post screenshots of errors
    • You can use the PRINT SCR key on your keyboard to paste your current monitor to the clipboard.
  • Provide your system specifications
  • Provide your current mandatory dependencies versions (XNA & .NET)

Be reminded this post is intended to simply your next reply and ease our troubleshooting. If you fail to provide detailed information, it becomes a tedious task to determine what caused your problem. Please be kind enough to follow these simple steps and helpful tips!

NOTE: If you are using an illegal copy of the game, you will receive no support, this process determines if you are using a legal copy.

Before you ask, check in these threads to solve your issues:

Available Third Party Software
System Requirements
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz (Single Core)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
  • Video Card: 128 MB Video Memory, Shader Model 1.1 Support
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
Game Dependencies (MUST Install)
Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.

Before proceeding any further, please delete the config.dat file located in your Terraria Folder under My Documents/My Games. Then start Terraria again, this may fix some unexplained issues, but we wish to make sure you are running a nice and clean installation:
  1. Locate My Documents Folder.
  2. Open My Games Folder.
  3. Open Terraria Folder.
  4. Delete Config.dat file from this location.
Verify Terraria's Steam Cache
If your game is unresponsive at times it is recommended you do a Verify Steam Cache with the game provided for Steam (This does not include GOG Version).
  1. Goto My Library on Steam.
  2. Right-Click Terraria and Select Properties.
  3. Goto Local Files Tab.
  4. Now Select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, you may be using a different provider or retailer.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.

AMD E1-2500 APU (1.4 GHZ Dual Core)
AMD Radeon HD 8240
4GB RAM
40-60 FPS in Single player
<1-10 FPS in Multiplayer
Steam is tuxedoCatcrate if you need to verify my copy and whatnot

Last edited:
SORRY FOR BAD ENGLANDO (Bad English, i'm from south america and i want to give my details about this problem)

Hello, well i have the same problem and i am very sad because i can't play with my friends, i believe this is going to fix.
Let's start, first of all, i finished terraria 1.2.4.1, amazing game and i had no problems with FPS, just only few lag spikes because of my pc, my pc isnt amazing but i had 40-45 fps on Terraria 1.2.4.1 SINGLEPLAYER and MULTIPLAYER, now in this Terraria 1.3, i have 40-45 FPS just in SINGLEPLAYER, in this case, multiplayers is unplayable, 2-3 FPS, it's just impossible that is mine's pc problem, because my pc works nicely in SINGLEPLAYER, i already did everything you guys asked me to do ( Multicore Lighting: OFF, My drivers are uptaded, V-Sync OFF, etc ).

Here i will let my PC details from DxDiag, hope it will help because this game, this game is just wonderful and i want to give 120 hours of my life playing it like a boss!

My steam username is adipekz98_ by the way if you want to see if i have a legal copy of it, how could i not buy this game.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    38.5 KB · Views: 448
Hate to burst your bubble there Marcus while I do agree more info should be given other then same here on the issue. Given the fact that a lot more threads on multiplayer lag/ frame rate drops have occurred since 1.3 you cannot say 100% its not something related to the game. Yes something could have changed in the game that requires additional settings that is true but to outright say "I can't reproduce it its not terraria" when you only go into details on nvida shows there might be more.

Also having this issue and the system specs are:

AMD A8-3800 APU with radeon hd graphics 2.4ghz
AMD Radeon r7 200 series graphics card
8gb ram
windows 8.1 64 bit

Like others posting single player is fine multi not so much frame skip on, multicore off (both were set there to begin with), etc, etc tried everything listed in the multiple threads on this issue.

Steam names the same as this account feel free to verify my copy is legitimate :)

For those of you have not caught up on this matter:

Many of you complain and hi-jack other threads, Devs can't fix things if you just say "Same here". You need to specific as much detail about your system and the steps you take. If you fail to do this, all we can say its "your end" because your end failed to provide the details. I'll go ahead and post this so everyone can read it and start making their own threads of the issue:

Hi,

Welcome to PC Support Section.

In order to further assist you, please verify the following information below before proceeding. Please, we remind you that Terraria has certain requirements in order to function properly on your system. If you fail to check these requirements you may encounter errors or issues.

To avoid errors or mistakes, please consider posting your System Specifications. You can obtain this information by Right-Clicking My Computer on your system. You will get basic information about your Processor and RAM. If you wish to get a full detailed list, you can use third party software to determine your specifications or salvage the information from the Device Manager (Advanced Users). You may also use the available and recommended Third Party Software to gain your full system specifications for our technicians.

How to improve your support thread
  • Post screenshots of errors
    • You can use the PRINT SCR key on your keyboard to paste your current monitor to the clipboard.
  • Provide your system specifications
  • Provide your current mandatory dependencies versions (XNA & .NET)

Be reminded this post is intended to simply your next reply and ease our troubleshooting. If you fail to provide detailed information, it becomes a tedious task to determine what caused your problem. Please be kind enough to follow these simple steps and helpful tips!

NOTE: If you are using an illegal copy of the game, you will receive no support, this process determines if you are using a legal copy.

Before you ask, check in these threads to solve your issues:

Available Third Party Software
System Requirements
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz (Single Core)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
  • Video Card: 128 MB Video Memory, Shader Model 1.1 Support
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
Game Dependencies (MUST Install)
Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.

Before proceeding any further, please delete the config.dat file located in your Terraria Folder under My Documents/My Games. Then start Terraria again, this may fix some unexplained issues, but we wish to make sure you are running a nice and clean installation:
  1. Locate My Documents Folder.
  2. Open My Games Folder.
  3. Open Terraria Folder.
  4. Delete Config.dat file from this location.
Verify Terraria's Steam Cache
If your game is unresponsive at times it is recommended you do a Verify Steam Cache with the game provided for Steam (This does not include GOG Version).
  1. Goto My Library on Steam.
  2. Right-Click Terraria and Select Properties.
  3. Goto Local Files Tab.
  4. Now Select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, you may be using a different provider or retailer.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Q: Steam has reported that one (1) file has failed verification and was downloaded?
A: This file is known as the serverconfig.txt file. Originally this file shouldn't be packed with the game as Terraria should create this file automatically on launch if it is missing or out of date. Due to it being changed and updated by server owners, the file will constantly fail the verification process. This has no effect on playing the game, and can be ignored.

How tf can you get a crash log with low frames ?

"It is your faulty setup in your computer" that is a very interesting thesis, which is complete bull:red: in my view. There are a way too many people, who got this issue and a huge majority did with me a complete workaround from updating drivers to reinstalling etc.. Also the typical "Hey, use vsync and use tbuffering helps!" No, I mean yes there are situations in which it can help, but normally doing that results in huge input lag and is not recommended for high spec PC's (yes, also those ppl are having this issue). It seems like you are just focusing on this thread, because there are hundered ones, who opened threads with their specs, with pictures, with a lot of information. Also the Frameskip thing is NOT good, it results in slow motion for a lot of players (especially in multiplayer).

"It is your faulty setup in your computer" that is a very interesting thesis, which is complete bull:red: in my view. There are a way too many people, who got this issue and a huge majority did with me a complete workaround from updating drivers to reinstalling etc.. Also the typical "Hey, use vsync and use tbuffering helps!" No, I mean yes there are situations in which it can help, but normally doing that results in huge input lag and is not recommended for high spec PC's (yes, also those ppl are having this issue). It seems like you are just focusing on this thread, because there are hundered ones, who opened threads with their specs, with pictures, with a lot of information. Also the Frameskip thing is NOT good, it results in slow motion for a lot of players (especially in multiplayer).
Yep, all that is right.

I think he just copied something without reading. @Marcus101RR

Back
Top Bottom