Game Mechanics Build a Kingdom!

Lukaerd

Terrarian
Hello!
Have you ever wanted to build a kingdom? No? Okay!

How it Works?

Once you have killed the Lunatic Cultist, you can start assigning houses as available for other people to live in!
You essentially build houses (as you would for your Npcs) and set them as available by going to the housing menu (I assume you do know what or where that is), click in the house icon and select what kind of towns folk you want to host, then highlight the area you want them to house and set the quarters as available, then a peasant (or whoever you chose) comes in and occupies the house!

-Specific Townsfolk will require specific quarters.

-Highlighting quarters is like choosing a photo frame in screenshot mode.

-Any house will still require a table, chair and light sources, although some might require additional furniture, or other types of furnitures.(e.g: Candelabras > torches)

Townsfolk:

The Peasant - Will occupy any house that's set as available, every two in-game weeks they will each offer 10 silver as tribute! The maximum amount of peasants are 15. They will defend themselves by stabbing stuff with an iron shortsword.

Having all 15 peasants enable you to house...

The Baron - Will occupy only houses that are considered to be mansions (has candelabras, grandfather clocks, chests, cabinets, windows, and must be at least 15x10.)
Barons and Baronesses will each give you 50 silver every two in-game weeks as tribute. You can only have a maximum of 5 barons living in your town and they will defend themselves by shooting with a revolver.

The Knight - Knights and Knightesses will only occupy houses that are considered barracks (Has Weapon Racks, Helm Racks, Chests, Anvil, Furnace, and a banner). Knights do not offer tribute but will actively hunt and fight off monsters that come close to any friendly npc. They have many ways of fending off monsters.
-Short ranged broadsword swing. (60 Damage)
-Long ranged crossbow with fire arrow. (40 Damage)
-Medium ranged shield bash. (10 Damage)
-Runs as fast as lightning boots.
-If friendly npc who's being harassed is inaccessible, they'll just warp nearby.

Getting all of those will enable you to house...

The Rulers - The King or Queen will only occupy houses that are considered castles (Has statues, weapon racks, candelabras, cabinets, chests, windows, grandfather clocks, a throne, and must be at least 25x20) The King or Queen will each offer you 1 gold every two in-game weeks and will defend themselves by swinging an enchanted sword at their enemies. Only 1 King with the Queen can be alive at a once and will occupy the same quarters.

Some helpful items to go along.

Kingdom Standart Banner - Sold by the Merchant for 5 gold once you have 1 peasant. Place to set the limits of you realm, townsfolk will not walk past the standard.

Tribute box - sold by the merchant for 5 gold once you have 1 baron(ness). Place it and it will grab every tribute available and store it for the player.

War Banner - Sold by the Travelling Merchant for 1 gold once you have one knight. Place it and one of your knights will stand guard under the banner.

Warning Bell - sold by the Travelling Merchant for 10 gold once you have 15 peasants. Place it on a wall or block and activate it to warn all npcs (except knights) and they will run to their homes.

Ballista - Sold by the Merchant for 10 gold. Place it and shoot ballista arrows that fly at high speed!

Ballista Arrows - Sold by the Merchant for 10 silver each. Use as ammo for the ballista, deals 200 damage.

Ruler's Vanity Set - Sold by the clothier for 5 gold each piece once you have the King and Queen.

That's it!

I hope you like it!
Originally I just thought of having my own kingdom populated by a bunch of people, I just thought of the tribute mechanic as a incentive to some players who want money, the sum of all money these townsfolk will give is about 750 silver (7 gold, 50 silver) every two in-game weeks, but what do you need this money for anyway? If you defeated the LC then you're already going to fight the moon lord and "finish the game" anyway right? But even if you don't want money, having knights protecting the npcs is also very useful for anyone!

If you like this idea, then... Give support I guess.
And Excuse my English, I write these in my phone.

I like the general idea (for one thing it will actually incentivise the use of decorative items) but I have a couple of modifications to suggest:
- Instead of a king and queen, just have the PC as the ruler of the kingdom.
- Have different ranks depending on how developed your kingdom is (Mayor->Baron->King->Emperor?).
- Instead of it being started by killing the Lunatic Cultist and then randomly getting new NPCs turning up, have an item (such as a magical throne) initiate it. You place it in the world and when you click on it, it tells you what you need to do to increase the population. Initially it will take a basic room, later on it requires a grander room as you move up from a Mayor to a Baron and so on.
- There's nothing in there that's particularly unbalancing, particularly if certain kinds of items are required to go past certain points, so make it available right from early stages of the game (depending on finding the item). You get to grow your kingdom along with your character! :)

I like the general idea (for one thing it will actually incentivise the use of decorative items) but I have a couple of modifications to suggest:
- Instead of a king and queen, just have the PC as the ruler of the kingdom.
- Have different ranks depending on how developed your kingdom is (Mayor->Baron->King->Emperor?).
- Instead of it being started by killing the Lunatic Cultist and then randomly getting new NPCs turning up, have an item (such as a magical throne) initiate it. You place it in the world and when you click on it, it tells you what you need to do to increase the population. Initially it will take a basic room, later on it requires a grander room as you move up from a Mayor to a Baron and so on.
- There's nothing in there that's particularly unbalancing, particularly if certain kinds of items are required to go past certain points, so make it available right from early stages of the game (depending on finding the item). You get to grow your kingdom along with your character! :)
I just want to clarify this...
-The problem of having it early it's that this is just going to become an easy money generator.
-Also townsfolk do not appear randomly without your consent, you first need to set viable houses for your townsfolk specifically, unlike the original npcs who appear randomly and occupy the houses they want.
-No items are required to advance the kingdom.

I just want to clarify this...
-The problem of having it early it's that this is just going to become an easy money generator.
-Also townsfolk do not appear randomly without your consent, you first need to set viable houses for your townsfolk specifically, unlike the original npcs who appear randomly and occupy the houses they want.
-No items are required to advance the kingdom.
Okay, responses to your clarifications:
- It's easy enough to farm money as it is anyway, have the lower kingdom levels just generate copper or silver. Alternate idea: tie it in to the tax collector. The kingdom level modifies the maximum amount and rate at which you get money building up. That also means you don't get free money until you've managed to get to the underworld and retrieve him, by which stage a steady income definitely won't break anything.
- Okay, fair enough, you make a space and then go to the throne and summon another subject. That works.
- The idea of having items required to advance the kingdom was a way to maintain game balance. Without that, yes, someone could just sit around and max out their kingdom before even defeating the Eye of Cthulu, which would be unbalancing.

I know you're thinking of this as an end-game thing, but I really see no reason why it can't be a whole-game sub-theme, with the right tweaks. None of it impacts game balance in any significant way so long as kingdom advancement is kept more or less in step with game advancement.

Okay, responses to your clarifications:
- It's easy enough to farm money as it is anyway, have the lower kingdom levels just generate copper or silver. Alternate idea: tie it in to the tax collector. The kingdom level modifies the maximum amount and rate at which you get money building up. That also means you don't get free money until you've managed to get to the underworld and retrieve him, by which stage a steady income definitely won't break anything.
- Okay, fair enough, you make a space and then go to the throne and summon another subject. That works.
- The idea of having items required to advance the kingdom was a way to maintain game balance. Without that, yes, someone could just sit around and max out their kingdom before even defeating the Eye of Cthulu, which would be unbalancing.

I know you're thinking of this as an end-game thing, but I really see no reason why it can't be a whole-game sub-theme, with the right tweaks. None of it impacts game balance in any significant way so long as kingdom advancement is kept more or less in step with game advancement.
Persistence is kinda like a bless.
You're actually right, I'd like this to be a late-game thing to spend time on, and tying kingdom growth with income growth is a nice idea! (I totally forgot that there's a tax collector, whoops).

Back
Top Bottom