PS5 Building woes on console

Pangaearocks

Terrarian
Hope some people are still active here in this forum. The last reply column is bleak reading :(

I've tried to build a little on console, but it has been painfully slow -- especially after losing the "grid snap" due to using D-pad buttons for quick healing and such. Any suggestions to counteract this? Just erecting a bog standard wall takes probably 10-20x as long on console as on PC with mouse. Most NPCs live in the squalid apartment complex, but I've managed to put a few in a somewhat nicer building too. I want to make a proper base of sorts, but even this three-story brick building took a looong time to build because it's so awkward with moving the crosshairs around manually. The smart button simply don't work for me, as the cursor goes all over the place, and I wasn't even able to build a horizontal wood platform (in crimson) without a bunch of random stairs popping up. It's painful.

Just take those few blocks I hammered out. The crosshair must be on top of the right pixels for it to work, and with the crosshairs there I can't see which way the blocks turn out. So then I need to sidestep a little to check if the curve is the right way. Then step back and hammer one more time.

Have you had more success with building, and what advice do you have? How can I make the process quicker on console?

Terraria_20230405174503.jpg

Terraria_20230405174518.jpg

Hope some people are still active here in this forum. The last reply column is bleak reading :(

I've tried to build a little on console, but it has been painfully slow -- especially after losing the "grid snap" due to using D-pad buttons for quick healing and such. Any suggestions to counteract this? Just erecting a bog standard wall takes probably 10-20x as long on console as on PC with mouse. Most NPCs live in the squalid apartment complex, but I've managed to put a few in a somewhat nicer building too. I want to make a proper base of sorts, but even this three-story brick building took a looong time to build because it's so awkward with moving the crosshairs around manually. The smart button simply don't work for me, as the cursor goes all over the place, and I wasn't even able to build a horizontal wood platform (in crimson) without a bunch of random stairs popping up. It's painful.

Just take those few blocks I hammered out. The crosshair must be on top of the right pixels for it to work, and with the crosshairs there I can't see which way the blocks turn out. So then I need to sidestep a little to check if the curve is the right way. Then step back and hammer one more time.

Have you had more success with building, and what advice do you have? How can I make the process quicker on console?

View attachment 403485

View attachment 403486
Hi there @Pangaearocks, you should be able to do both grid snap and use the D-pad buttons for binding to weapons/potions.

Here is the announcement text from a bit ago…

”- Dpad Hotbar can now be mapped to 0-4 buttons. Previously, this was an all-or-nothing feature.
- Dpad Snap can now be mapped separately (LB+Dpad) in the video - so that players can now use Dpad Hotbar and Dpad Snap at the same time.

By Default in Classic controls, Dpad Snap is on and no Dpad Hotbar buttons are mapped, we leave this up to you, the player.”

Hi there @Pangaearocks, you should be able to do both grid snap and use the D-pad buttons for binding to weapons/potions.
Thank you! I wasn't aware of this, and tried it out and it works :) L2+D-pad didn't (it kept picking D-pad only), but L1+D-pad worked.

If others have tricks of the trade for building on console, that would be great too. I've struggled a lot with it. Hopefully this grid snap function back will help, but I look at envy with how much easier it was on PC.

Do you happen to know if it's possible to use drag moves on the touch pad? That would have effectively given us 4 more buttons. I noticed there is zoom on the touch pad actually, if you drag your fingers in or out, kinda like in a normal map service, but I'd rather have those 4 "buttons" if it was possible somehow.

Thank you! I wasn't aware of this, and tried it out and it works :) L2+D-pad didn't (it kept picking D-pad only), but L1+D-pad worked.

If others have tricks of the trade for building on console, that would be great too. I've struggled a lot with it. Hopefully this grid snap function back will help, but I look at envy with how much easier it was on PC.

Do you happen to know if it's possible to use drag moves on the touch pad? That would have effectively given us 4 more buttons. I noticed there is zoom on the touch pad actually, if you drag your fingers in or out, kinda like in a normal map service, but I'd rather have those 4 "buttons" if it was possible somehow.
Glad it helped. :)

I’m not sure about drag moves on the touch pad. Hopefully someone on PS4 or PS5 that knows can chime in.

Back
Top Bottom