Calamity Texture Pack Updated to Work for 1.4

Spuckklerr

Terrarian
This post has been made obsolete as the official team have made an update themselves:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/551409584619651115/713103608601903154/CalamityTexturePack.zip
The Calamity Pack Discord: Join the Calamity Texturepack Discord Server!

Original post: PC - The Calamity Texture Pack

If any textures are broken (invisible furniture or blocks, or items/enemies/tiles you KNOW to have been retextured in the old pack that are still using default textures), let me know and I'll try to update it. I have no plans on finishing this pack myself as I am not confident in my skills as a pixel artist (and plus, Terraria has just... way too much stuff to sprite for one person.) But, if the content already exists in the pack and just needs a tweak to get working in the new version, I'll update it. Hopefully the people who worked on the original pack will finish their work, because it's a rather nice pack. For now, though, I hope this will tide you over.

If you're at all curious as to what I had to do to get this working properly in 1.4, you can check out this changelog:
  • I had to set up a .json file and fiddle around with the folders to get the game to recognise this, but it's well documented on the forum so this wasn't an issue.
  • The first textures that were janky that I noticed were trees and grass. The tree textures got a file that holds all of the different trees in one, so I just took the old textures and overlayed them on that file. The grass got a resolution change and its vertical height increased by like? 3 times what it was originally? There's no new sprites there, so I have literally no idea why this was the case.
  • A few enemies got more frames of animation, including the Harpy, Face-Eater and Demon (Voodoo doll-holding variety included.) Instead of creating new sprites to fill out the space, I just copy-pasted the old ones, so some frames hang a bit longer than they would otherwise. Honestly the Harpy looked pretty good even with this, but I haven't seen the demon, which got more frames of animation added than it originally had, so the hanging might be more noticeable.
  • Also for the demon, because the vertical resolution per frame got reduced, I did a teensy bit of patch-work on the thing's wings to make it fit. I hope it looks alright.
  • Other random files got resolution changes, like one of the jungle tree top varieties got 2 pixels appended to its resolution. Because why not?
  • Skeletron's head resolution got downscaled 2 pixels. This actually chopped off a half-pixel column on either side of his head, but I'm sure most people won't notice. I say half pixel, because the resolution of the image is set up so that each visible pixel you see is actually a 2x2 of pixels, so in theory the textures could be made more detailed.
  • Some enemies like the Eater of Souls and those crimson spider-things got resolution changes, so I just resized the image to match without changing the sprites. The mimics actually got a resolution downsize, because apparently there was a whole other type of mimic that I don't think was ever used in the game, but Calamity went and retextured anyway, so that sprite basically doesn't exist now.
  • Some platforms and doors were invisible because the Calamity textures were made before those items, so I just pasted the default textures into the image. The reason they were invisible instead of using default textures is because all the platform textures are stored in one file, and the same is true for the doors, and the game just uses a pixel-offset in the image to show the correct texture. Since the resolution changed and there was nothing at certain coordinates in the image, they were invisible.
  • Probably some other things I missed. Again, if there is any jank or stuff that WAS retextured but isn't showing properly, let me know.

Edit 1: Readjusted resolutions of the Eater of Worlds body/tail sprites to match what they should be. Totally missed this even though I had seen it beforehand.
Edit 2: I made a gaffe when realigning the Face Monster spritesheet so the animations were all whacked up. That's fixed now, but one frame in the original Calamity version got cut. It shouldn't be too noticeable, I don't think. I also went and realigned the Crimera so that it doesn't do a weird jiggle every time it switches sprites.

Now, I also realised that there were some gore textures that weren't being used. As it turns out, nearly ALL of Calamity's gore textures were using completely different resolutions to Terraria's original textures (which is the only resolution your sprites are allowed to be, by the way), but if they worked before I can totally understand why - the detail on the larger boss giblets looked fantastic. However, this meant that in the resizing process a reasonable amount of the spritework was cut off. I did my best to fix up a handful of them (I really tried my best to downscale the texture for the Queen Bee's wings, but since the original height was like 3x what it's allowed to be, it's probably turned out rubbish), but I'm not experienced enough with it to feel comfortable with doing that to something like the Twins' giblets, whose texturing technique is beyond my understanding. I don't want to faff about with a nice-looking sprite like that.

The harpy's gore was also an issue, since the wing shape is so radically different to what it is in vanilla, being round, and the vanilla texture resolution literally only leaves room for a very thin, horizontal wing texture, so I couldn't really do anything about that I'm afraid. So, if you look closely at some of the Calamity gore you may notice some of the sprites have a square-ish shape where I've realigned them to fit a smaller sized image. Thankfully not ALL of the gore was retextured, so I had substantially less to do than I would have otherwise. It was still tedious though.

Attachments

• Calamity Pack.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 5,242
Last edited:
My twins are broken

Know whats wrong?
1615222167574.png

Back
Top Bottom