Game Mechanics Cancelling a solar eclipse (perhaps other invasions too)

Smiffy

Skeletron Prime
Have you ever gotten out your equipment and resources to build something, only to find that a solar eclipse has arrived? This is probably one of the most annoying things for me right now. Most of the time I just can't be bothered with them as I have all the items I want from the event already and simply don't fancy fighting the monsters at that time. It would be nice to be able to deactivate it in these sort of situations instead of hiding underground for 15 minutes, especially now we have the ability to manually activate them. I propose the use of the Solar Tablet item or an item crafted from the Solar Tablet to achieve this.

How it would work:
  • If a random solar eclipse occurs, you will be able to use the Solar Tablet (or item crafting from the Solar Tablet) to cancel the eclipse, turning it back to normal daytime.
  • However if you have summoned in the eclipse you won't be able to cancel it. Summoning it yourself assumes that you want to fight it anyway.
  • Cancelling a solar eclipse means you can't resummon the eclipse until the next day.
Might be nice to cancel invasions too, but they don't last nearly as long as an entire in-game day unless you still have lower tiered items so they aren't as much as an annoyance. And besides, I don't know what kind of items we would use to cancel them with anyway.

I'd find it better if eclipses/invasions wouldn't happen at random once defeated once, as a tradeoff, the items that are needed to summon them should be easier to get.

I'd find it better if eclipses/invasions wouldn't happen at random once defeated once, as a tradeoff, the items that are needed to summon them should be easier to get.
I disagree with natural things like solar eclipses and blood moons being disabled after the first time. They are natural events after all. Plus what if you get an eclipse early? You'll be locked away from it until you kill plantera. I can see things like goblins and pirates not attacking after the first time and I made a thread about that.

I disagree with natural things like solar eclipses and blood moons being disabled after the first time. They are natural events after all. Plus what if you get an eclipse early? You'll be locked away from it until you kill plantera. I can see things like goblins and pirates not attacking after the first time and I made a thread about that.
Ok that was kinda a bad example, althrough the Solar Eclipse doesn't really have that many items before killing Plantera. So how about making it occur naturally until you have defeated Plantera or Golem and after that it's disabled ? Blood Moon isn't that much of an issue(althrough there should be a way to make it less RNG, maybe allow the Witch Doctor to change weather via money. The amount charged depends on how long the last Blood Moon/Rain was) Aliens are through.
I think there was a suggestion which had a craftable item which would allow martian probes to spawn once it is in your inventory, otherwise they wouldn't spawn after the first invasion was done. Would probably be nice to have once the bugged probes are finally fixed.

Ugh. you guys... First it was Solar Eclipses happening too rarely. Now it's solar eclipses happening too often. I have no problem with the current odds of it happening. Just bring the gear you need just in case.

Ugh. you guys... First it was Solar Eclipses happening too rarely. Now it's solar eclipses happening too often. I have no problem with the current odds of it happening. Just bring the gear you need just in case.
Well, you can summon a solar eclipse at any time now(once you get past Plantera that is, but they won't drop the good stuff until after that anyways) without much farming, back then it was only RNG based.

They need to remove that summon item if you ask me. Or at least make it harder to craft. Shouldn't be something you can call upon at anytime.

They need to remove that summon item if you ask me. Or at least make it harder to craft. Shouldn't be something you can call upon at anytime.
Are you another OMG ITS OP user or what ? Don't you realize that this helps balancing out RNG and that farming hours in the Lizhard temple would be boring ? Wait do you even know how it works or do you just think it's easy to craft because I said that ?

I think there was a suggestion which had a craftable item which would allow martian probes to spawn once it is in your inventory
Baconfry made it.

Come to think of it I had an idea for solar flares that temporarily override spawns with daytime ones. Of course I didn't sleep too well so it's questionable at best.

Are you another OMG ITS OP user or what ? Don't you realize that this helps balancing out RNG and that farming hours in the Lizhard temple would be boring ? Wait do you even know how it works or do you just think it's easy to craft because I said that ?
Okay. Do not be rude to users on the forums. Just because you do not agree with what is said does not mean you should abuse other players. I have been playing Terraria for a long time now. I know more about it than many of the people around here. Unlike some people on the forums, I actually know about things before I join a discussion about it. Actually, what you said makes no sense. "It helps balance RNG". How does it help balance RNG. It was fine before, and it's still fine. "Farming hours in the Lizhard temple would be boring" I was saying that the item needs to be removed. If you are against what I say, why even bring that up. "Do you even know how it works" Yes, I obviously do, if I joined a thread about it.

...Anyway back to the topic at hand I don't think pirate/goblin invasions should be cancelled, I think they shouldn't happen naturally but have the invasion summoning items be more frequently dropped. That and having the items be placed for allowing for natural invasions to happen again. Of course I already made a thread for that :p

Okay. Do not be rude to users on the forums.
Not trying to sound rude but if someone just walks in "they need to remove the item" you shouldn't really expect a super friendly reply, also generally removing an item that was added for a certain purpose isn't exactly the solution.

I have been playing Terraria for a long time now. I know more about it than many of the people around here. Unlike some people on the forums, I actually know about things before I join a discussion about it.
Ok, in case you want to know, I know a lot about the game too, have been described as living terraria wiki by some friends. Not wanting to brag, only saying that I have some rather good knowledge too.
Actually, what you said makes no sense. "It helps balance RNG". How does it help balance RNG. It was fine before, and it's still fine. "Farming hours in the Lizhard temple would be boring" I was saying that the item needs to be removed. If you are against what I say, why even bring that up. "Do you even know how it works" Yes, I obviously do, if I joined a thread about it.
Before 1.3 the eclipse could spawn with only one mech boss(earlier even before you defeated one) and you could get all three broken hero swords from one eclipse, meaning that you could battle the mech bosses with the legendary terra blade. Now have you ever thought about players that got unlucky and haven't had a solar eclipse happen in their world ? They wouldn't have the terra blade, death sickle or moon stone, all three are rather good items, to fight the moons, fishron or later on the Moon Lord.
The item balances those things out so the very good ones can't be gotten before plantera(to avoid game breaking) and the summoning item makes sure that you can get an eclipse and those items.

Makes total sense to me, if a player got unlucky and hasn't had an eclipse until that point(which is rather common) they can get the item without having to wait an unknown amount of days just to finally get a eclipse. It's also rather annoying if you are missing that one item, like the moon stone for the celestial shell or that last hero sword for the terra blade.

Back
Top Bottom