Can't fit both an NPC and pet in a valid house

Kneller

Terrarian
I usually build my NPC houses as small as possible (often 10x3 or 8x4). For some reason, especially the 10x3s, I'll get the "not valid housing" message when I try to put a pet in with an NPC. I'm not sure why. With just a workbench and chair, I have 7 tiles of floor space, so that should be plenty. There's enough room for both flags as well. Clearly, there's minimum housing criteria for both a NPC and a pet that exceeds that for just an NPC. Anyone know what that is? The wiki wasn't any help on this one. Thanks!

I usually build my NPC houses as small as possible (often 10x3 or 8x4). For some reason, especially the 10x3s, I'll get the "not valid housing" message when I try to put a pet in with an NPC. I'm not sure why. With just a workbench and chair, I have 7 tiles of floor space, so that should be plenty. There's enough room for both flags as well. Clearly, there's minimum housing criteria for both a NPC and a pet that exceeds that for just an NPC. Anyone know what that is? The wiki wasn't any help on this one. Thanks!
Having both NPC and town pet does require a bigger house. I suggest extending your house one block vertically or horizontally and try again. If it doesn’t work with one block, add another, until it lets you have both. :)

Having both NPC and town pet does require a bigger house. I suggest extending your house one block vertically or horizontally and try again. If it doesn’t work with one block, add another, until it lets you have both. :)

I've been experimenting, but I like building minimalist houses, so I'm trying to figure out the absolute minimum. I've found that 10x3 never works, 8x4 sometimes works, but I can't figure out the factors for the "sometimes". Even with the same furniture configuration, it seems to work in some cases, but not others.

Back
Top Bottom