[Challange] Super efficient coin farms (AFK or not AFK)

What rate do you think should be the best rate of earning coins in Terraria 1.3 legitimately?

• ~40 platinum per hour(p/h)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~60 p/h

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • ~80 p/h

• ~100 p/h

• ~200 p/h

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • much higher than 200 p/h (very unlikely?)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thiner

Terrarian
In 1.3 it seems a bit easier for many kinds of money farming.
You can sell critters for a great deal of money.
Mobs give you 2.5x money and nearly 2x loots in expert mode.
New weapons make farming events easier and more efficient.
New events that are very much farmable (you have jailed the pillars!) provide great choices for more efficient money farms.

I want to know how quickly you can get coins in Terraria legitimately with your farm. (Well, are hoiks, ghost walls, ghost dummies, floating statues legitimate in this case? That's a good question to discuss...)
I am preparing for one farm that I think is very competitive in this purpose, at least in 1.3.0.7(which used a lot of hoiks and ghost dummies and so on, but no other actual bugs that you can cheat money directly out of), but I want to see how yours are going.

So, buying dynasty wood (50 copper) and torches (50 copper) from the traveling merchant and merchant, crafting Large Dynasty Lanterns (4 dynasty wood, 4 torches = 4 silver) and then selling them for 6 silver isn't allowed, right?

Oh, to how many hits per second are minions limited to? Can a single minion hit infinitely many enemies at once or is there a limit? If you have more than one, will they interfere with each other?

Also, how many dungeon guardians can exist at once?
(Get it what I want to try out? ~:D)

So, buying dynasty wood (50 copper) and torches (50 copper) from the traveling merchant and merchant, crafting Large Dynasty Lanterns (4 dynasty wood, 4 torches = 4 silver) and then selling them for 6 silver isn't allowed, right?

I don't want to ban the Dynasty Wood because (1) I earned my first bucket of gold from it (2) it makes money rather slowly, as with something like mouse macro you can only earn ~4 p/h

Oh, to how many hits per second are minions limited to? Can a single minion hit infinitely many enemies at once or is there a limit? If you have more than one, will they interfere with each other?

6 if the minion does "melee" damage(like baby slime), and 10 if it is the Stardust Dragon. And of course, it is infinite.

Interference? Well actually if you jailed the mobs and slimes well 1 slime will do everything that 9 can do.

Also, how many dungeon guardians can exist at once?

Well if you want to use Slime staff + Lucky coin, then you shouldn't go for Dungeon Guardian as it doesn't drop coins, thus you can't get money from it when equipping Lucky Coin. If not I may help you refer to the code and see its upper limit.

Last edited:
I don't want to ban the Dynasty Wood because (1) I earned my first bucket of gold from it (2) it makes money rather slowly, as with something like mouse macro you can only earn ~4 p/h

6 if the minion does "melee" damage(like baby slime), and 10 if it is the Stardust Dragon. And of course, it is infinite.

Interference? Well actually if you jailed the mobs and slimes well 1 slime will do everything that 9 can do.

Well if you want to use Slime staff + Lucky coin, then you shouldn't go for Dungeon Guardian as it doesn't drop coins, thus you can't get money from it when equipping Lucky Coin. If not I may help you refer to the code and see its upper limit.

Hmm, interesting. I would still be very interested in how many Dungeon Guardians can exist at once. I hope you wouldn't mind looking at the source code. (I might be able to do myself it since I do code a little bit)
And, even if they don't drop coins, a stardust dragon can hit them 10 times per second. Imagine this: Killing 10 dungeon guardians in 1 second and selling the bone keys! (5 gold each)

P.S. The link doesn't work! LOL http://esoteric.sange.fi/brain:red:/impl/interp/i.html

If we're counting burst rather than sustained money farming, then it's easy to go well above 200p/h. Before the 1.3 the record for AFK (!) money farming was around 270p/h:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...inal-wave-at-10-30pm-42-platinum-night.17682/

While spears no longer crit in 1.3, the minions are way more powerful, mainly because they can be fueled by nebula armor buffs. It's possible for the Dragon to reach a single target DPS of 10K by following the correct summoner protocol.

If we're allowing for non-AFK methods, then once again we can farm Pumpkin Moon with Last Prism (and it's rather trivial to sustain the firing of that thing), which allows for the earning of about 4 times the amount of platinum compared to the AFK farm I linked above so long as you control the spawns over a small area. This would translate into a burst rate of over 1K platinum per hour.

Hmm, interesting. I would still be very interested in how many Dungeon Guardians can exist at once. I hope you wouldn't mind looking at the source code. (I might be able to do myself it since I do code a little bit)
And, even if they don't drop coins, a stardust dragon can hit them 10 times per second. Imagine this: Killing 10 dungeon guardians in 1 second and selling the bone keys! (5 gold each)

P.S. The link doesn't work! LOL http://esoteric.sange.fi/brain:red:/impl/interp/i.html

It seems like that Dungeon Guardian has an npcSlot of 1, so if you can amplify the maxSpawn to 15 then you can have 15 Dungeon Guardians at the same time. But I wonder how you can finish them off so quickly.. Are there something new rendering speed-kill of Dungeon Guardian?
By the way the Bone Key is 5G. 1G/s = 36P/h. So if you can finish every Dungeon guardian within 75 seconds and using piercing attack, you will have a 36P/h score.

If we're counting burst rather than sustained money farming, then it's easy to go well above 200p/h. Before the 1.3 the record for AFK (!) money farming was around 270p/h:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...inal-wave-at-10-30pm-42-platinum-night.17682/

While spears no longer crit in 1.3, the minions are way more powerful, mainly because they can be fueled by nebula armor buffs. It's possible for the Dragon to reach a single target DPS of 10K by following the correct summoner protocol.

If we're allowing for non-AFK methods, then once again we can farm Pumpkin Moon with Last Prism (and it's rather trivial to sustain the firing of that thing), which allows for the earning of about 4 times the amount of platinum compared to the AFK farm I linked above so long as you control the spawns over a small area. This would translate into a burst rate of over 1K platinum per hour.

Last Prism is, at least I think, easy to AFK because you needn't aim at some moving target, right?
I think that should be counted in 375 P/h if your burst rate is 1K P/h because night is only 3/8 of the day. Also it will be better if you can achieve that without consuming potions unless the time to gain the potion is taken into account. Also the time to gain the pumpkins and the ectoplasm and the hallowed bars should be taken into account if you want to compare this to other methods. Well, I think you can AFK them, right?(Although a bit hard, it is possible if you have something like autohotkey...)
Anyway it is incredibly awesome as the burst rate can achieve a full stack of Platinum coins every hour... That terrified me.

ast Prism is, at least I think, easy to AFK because you needn't aim at some moving target, right?

If you create spawn platforms above you or below you then yes, theoretically you can just aim the Last Prism upwards or downwards to kill everything (and thus farm AFK by holding the LMB down). However, there seems to be a problem with such an AFK approach. For some reason the Last Prism eventually stops firing if the LMB is held down (even though the mana is nearly full), and you have to restart it by letting go of the LMB and holding it down again. I'm not sure what causes this. I know that you can shut off projectile weapons if you have too many projectiles in the air (1000), but from tests it didn't appear as if that was the issue. I

I think that should be counted in 375 P/h if your burst rate is 1K P/h because night is only 3/8 of the day. Also it will be better if you can achieve that without consuming potions unless the time to gain the potion is taken into account.

If we hold the LMB down to fire the LP to make it AFK, then we can also hold down the buff button to automatically consume potitions once they run out.

The rate will be more than 375p/h if we switch to other money-making methods during the daytime. For instance, we can vaporize Golems in seconds using the LP so if you begin with tons of energy cells in your inventory then you can farm golems non-stop during the day.

If you create spawn platforms above you or below you then yes, theoretically you can just aim the Last Prism upwards or downwards to kill everything (and thus farm AFK by holding the LMB down). However, there seems to be a problem with such an AFK approach. For some reason the Last Prism eventually stops firing if the LMB is held down (even though the mana is nearly full), and you have to restart it by letting go of the LMB and holding it down again. I'm not sure what causes this. I know that you can shut off projectile weapons if you have too many projectiles in the air (1000), but from tests it didn't appear as if that was the issue. I

If we hold the LMB down to fire the LP to make it AFK, then we can also hold down the buff button to automatically consume potitions once they run out.

The rate will be more than 375p/h if we switch to other money-making methods during the daytime. For instance, we can vaporize Golems in seconds using the LP so if you begin with tons of energy cells in your inventory then you can farm golems non-stop during the day.

I didn't mean the quick buff key, I meant that if you need the buff potions, then it should be taken in account the time it takes to get the potions - aka, planting, fishing, crafting.
If you need a lot of Pumpkin Moon Medallion it needs to be taken into account the time you loot pumpkins, ectoplasms, and Hallowed bars, which requires a Mechanical boss summoner farm in an early hardmode world.
If you turn to Golems, you should also consider the time it takes to get an energy cell - In this case the efficiency of your energy cell farm affects your total efficiency of making money if you can nearly vaporize the Temple boss within seconds.
Everything should have a source when you really want a sustainable farm.

Well when we say "burst rate" we won't consider the problems, though. But things get complicated when you really want stacks of platinum coins.

It seems like that Dungeon Guardian has an npcSlot of 1, so if you can amplify the maxSpawn to 15 then you can have 15 Dungeon Guardians at the same time. But I wonder how you can finish them off so quickly.. Are there something new rendering speed-kill of Dungeon Guardian?
By the way the Bone Key is 5G. 1G/s = 36P/h. So if you can finish every Dungeon guardian within 75 seconds and using piercing attack, you will have a 36P/h score.

Last Prism is, at least I think, easy to AFK because you needn't aim at some moving target, right?
I think that should be counted in 375 P/h if your burst rate is 1K P/h because night is only 3/8 of the day. Also it will be better if you can achieve that without consuming potions unless the time to gain the potion is taken into account. Also the time to gain the pumpkins and the ectoplasm and the hallowed bars should be taken into account if you want to compare this to other methods. Well, I think you can AFK them, right?(Although a bit hard, it is possible if you have something like autohotkey...)
Anyway it is incredibly awesome as the burst rate can achieve a full stack of Platinum coins every hour... That terrified me.

Oh, I was planning on having around 200 dungeon guardians and as soon as one dies, another one spawns. Oh, about the Golem farm, you could farm the cells while playing with (or farming) the Golem.

Oh, I was planning on having around 200 dungeon guardians and as soon as one dies, another one spawns. Oh, about the Golem farm, you could farm the cells while playing with (or farming) the Golem.

About the Dungeon Guardian you can have a try, as I'm not always right. Do an experiment!

And about the golem.. Even though the golem can be finished off within seconds, you can't get one cell in less than 50 seconds on average(as the drop rate of it is 2% and it seems to be not affected by the expert mode). That is the problem.

About the Dungeon Guardian you can have a try, as I'm not always right. Do an experiment!

And about the golem.. Even though the golem can be finished off within seconds, you can't get one cell in less than 50 seconds on average(as the drop rate of it is 2% and it seems to be not affected by the expert mode). That is the problem.
Oh, very interesting. I am learning new stuff all the time! :D
A little question, when there is a Duke Fishron around, can you summon another one? Also, is there a limit to how many can be summoned?

You know, I've figured it out long time ago. Most efficient farm doesn't involve mobs. just convert whole Underground&Cavern leyer to hallow, and make an efficient crystal shard farm. Divide it into sections, and automatically teleport yourself through the mega-structure, and build auto-harvesters (hoiks, timers etc) so each division provides you with crystal crops each time you come. One crystal shard is 16 silver, how much can you harvest from the entire world?
If I get a working TEdit, I will probably try this idea out.

Oh, very interesting. I am learning new stuff all the time! :D
A little question, when there is a Duke Fishron around, can you summon another one? Also, is there a limit to how many can be summoned?

I will put an end to such questions. I don't know more ways to accumulate NPCs to somewhere near 200 except for: releasing a lot of bunnies and/or goldfishes; Hoiking an army of target dummies to one spot; Go to Vortex Pillar to farm (not necessary killing) Vortex Larva/Hornet/Queen(Alien Larva/Hornet/Queen) until they go to 150+ and crash your Terraria out. And none of these will work if you want to use your lucky coin.

[Edit:]

But if you only want 30 then Arapaima and Spidercave-spiders will satisfy your demand when you have amplified the maxSpawn into 15. If it is 20 then you can jail the Pirate Ship and let it spawn Pirates continuously.

And another thing that you can try out: If you have Fetid Baghnakhs or Blade gloves, try to make its usetime <= 3, and it may act as an completely piercing weapon with incredibly low cooldown(I guess. You can try it out).

[DOUBLEPOST=1439216639,1439215964][/DOUBLEPOST]
You know, I've figured it out long time ago. Most efficient farm doesn't involve mobs. just convert whole Underground&Cavern leyer to hallow, and make an efficient crystal shard farm. Divide it into sections, and automatically teleport yourself through the mega-structure, and build auto-harvesters (hoiks, timers etc) so each division provides you with crystal crops each time you come. One crystal shard is 16 silver, how much can you harvest from the entire world?
If I get a working TEdit, I will probably try this idea out.

One gold per second is a good threshold for a competitive money farm(1G/s = 36P/h). Can you gain ~6 crystal shards every second continuously? If it is possible (as the digging speed can reach 1 tile per tick, it is very likely to be possible), then we can continue this plan.

I want to provide a data that I found in the source code: A crystal won't spawn if there are more than 2 crystal tiles inside the 12*12 rectangle centered at the tile that spawn the crystal. Anyway, you can try it out!

Last edited:
One gold per second is a good threshold for a competitive money farm(1G/s = 36P/h). Can you gain ~6 crystal shards every second continuously? If it is possible (as the digging speed can reach 1 tile per tick, it is very likely to be possible), then we can continue this plan.

I want to provide a data that I found in the source code: A crystal won't spawn if there are more than 2 crystal tiles inside the 12*12 rectangle centered at the tile that spawn the crystal. Anyway, you can try it out!
I've never meant digging for the crystals. What I've done was building horizontal 1-tile high lines out of pearlstone, set 2 tiles apart, and let the game spawn crystals between them. Pearlstone is covered with actuators and wire, and whenever they are activated, crystals drop down, to the bottom of the farm, and then are hoiked to the players position. This farm also uses switch-off mechanism, so currently user only has to click once to get crops after set time. Crystals are size 2 items, as @ZeroGravitas would say. It was his video about hoiking items that inspired me. The limitations are ofc crystal spawn limit and limit for dropped items, that's why the single farm size is limited. However, since crystals take time to reappear, one could theoretically teleport himself around the world and automatically harvest small farms. The whole thing can be completely automated, with timers and so.

This is part of the whole design, added torches for visibility. I never thought about demonstrating this, so it's not very clear I guess.
jeM1iqM.png

dxRR3lh.png

PS: By the way, crystal farm was even suggested by someone on the wiki, design on the left is more efficient, but also complicated to replicate (however, for the ultimate world-sized farm, this can be easily copied in TEdit)
800px-CrystalFarms.png

The only problem with the Last Prism, it shuts itself off after about a minute. But you could substitute the SDMG and endless musket pouch. Doesn't do as much damage, but can kill a Mothron before it gets to you without a banner

design on the left is more efficient
I did a test about a month before 1.3 to see what crystal farm design was most efficient. I got the most per hour (forgot how many) from the checkered formation.
rIGw9VM.png

Also, now that I think about it, any coin farm with the lucky coin can have more leeway with player position to grab the coins if you wear the ring you get from the pirates too (better yet, make the coin ring).

I did a test about a month before 1.3 to see what crystal farm design was most efficient. I got the most per hour (forgot how many) from the checkered formation.
rIGw9VM.png

Also, now that I think about it, any coin farm with the lucky coin can have more leeway with player position to grab the coins if you wear the ring you get from the pirates too (better yet, make the coin ring).
I guess that unlike in glowing mushroom farms, crystal farms won't spawn crystals in every possible spot, since their amount is limited. Checkered design is simply the fastest one to replenish, each free spot can theoretically be 'refilled' with a crystal from three adjacent pearlstone blocks. I didn't consider this.

To be honest I'm not that interested in making money in most efficient way possible anymore. Before, my incomes and outcomes kept me around 30 plat for two years. Since 1.3 I keep doing my tests and constructions while wearing summoner set and greedy ring. Now I have 100 plat. I will probably never run out of cash, so constructing a farm is more of an inventor's challenge than real necessity.

I tested it and apparently the dungeon guardian has a spawn limit of 15. Though, that means that raiding the dungeon before Skeletron is possible in multiplayer! (As long as the other player stays nearby...)

How about using statues to spawn and sell critters? This is a pretty good method for how simple it is, and could potentially be expanded on to remain effective even after building more advanced money farms. The theoretical maximum achievable with critter statues alone should be 3780 platinum/hour, with ten critters of each type spawning each tick (requiring 300 statues of each type).

Back
Top Bottom