[Challenge] The Engineer Playthrough!

Any one know if sniperscope critical works if you hold a gun? Just wondering if it may be a way to get more then 88% chance to crit.

I got critical hit chance up to 91%! Using titanium boots with 3%. Also upgraded boss arena now using a total of 5 world loots worth of spear traps and managed my first level 15 pumpkin moon event.

ljv3C44.jpg

Got to final wave in pumpkinmoon event. Even collected Pumpkin and Morningwood shields :D

k6xHrod.jpg

Any thoughts on how to improve final wave time that does not involve more spear traps or a bird engine? Spawn surface wider? Lava pit smaller? Asphalt under lava? The wood block is just there so I can take the pic. DicemanX have you managed to mechanize frostmoon, I would love to see your take on it.

Any thoughts on how to improve final wave time that does not involve more spear traps or a bird engine? Spawn surface wider? Lava pit smaller? Asphalt under lava? The wood block is just there so I can take the pic. DicemanX have you managed to mechanize frostmoon, I would love to see your take on it.

Good progress so far! To improve your final wave times for pumpkin moon, you should consider the following:

1) Don't spread the spear traps directly above you - instead make spear trap batteries (you only need 1-2 of them) directly above since Pumpkings don't stray to the left or right.
2) Instead of spawn surfaces to the sides, make one directly underneath and use a wooden platform with lava underneath. The mobs in your current set-up need time to move directly under your spears.
3) You don't need a bird engine to turn on spear traps. Instead, use minecart tracks or a walkway with pressure plates so that you can turn on the traps in a staggered way just like a bird would. After you turn them on you can settle into your honey pit.
4) Avoid all spiky ball traps - they interfere with spear traps and lower your DPS significantly.

My set-up for Pumpkin and Frost Moon involves the same arena:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...n-and-frost-moon-events-using-autofarms.4850/

In fact I recorded a video of the pumpkin moon event without minions:

2:05am final wave time. I used the same arena to test Frost Moon without minions and got to wave 15 before dawn broke. That was before I added lava, which helps do more damage.

I'm curious if anyone can get further in Frost Moon, although I think I'm near the limit of what can be done AFK (lava should help, but perhaps not enough to reach wave 16).

I have a few questions in regard to:

1) Is there a max number of targets 1 spear can damage when mobs are stacked? I am under the impression that there is and therefore I grouped my spear traps together, so when Pumpkins stack I can damage them all. I am beginning to think this is not necessary. (from what you said)

2) I am guessing that a) mobs can spawn on said platform and b) the spears will push them down into the lava. (is that correct?)
3) Yeah it is this way to keep wiring simple. You know I like the simple to build approach. I will try to find inspiration, your suggestions have given me some ideas already :D
4) I will have to be careful with the implementation as I want this to work for most/all HM Bosses and enough of Frost moon to complete the challenge. ;P

Thanks for your input DicemanX and I will study that video and hopefully be able to improve my arena further.

Spoilers:
Need to bring my original Working Man's Pumpkin Moon Arena guide over here and showcase the further development I have been working on and get some advice on an issue I may have just solved ;)

I have a few questions in regard to:

1) Is there a max number of targets 1 spear can damage when mobs are stacked? I am under the impression that there is and therefore I grouped my spear traps together, so when Pumpkins stack I can damage them all. I am beginning to think this is not necessary. (from what you said)

It's possible that there's a limit to the number of mobs that can be hit by one spear, but a spear trap battery will address that anyways.

2) I am guessing that a) mobs can spawn on said platform and b) the spears will push them down into the lava. (is that correct?)

The mobs can spawn on anything in this game except for lava-covered surfaces. Some of the mobs can hop down to the lava and get damaged that way (including event bosses), but those that don't hop down at least will reach the spear trap batteries sooner than if they spawned on the sides.

4) I will have to be careful with the implementation as I want this to work for most/all HM Bosses and enough of Frost moon to complete the challenge. ;P

Contending with Ice Queens is going to be tough. Either you'll have to accumulate a lot more spear traps, or flood those regions where the Ice Queens do their figure-8s with spiky balls (a much less time consuming option, but at a big proce of losing major DPS - the difference per hit is 120 for spears versus 40 for spiky balls against defense of 0 and assuming 100% crit chance).

I have optimized my arena and wow the difference is amazing, but 3k wire and building and removing wood planks to build it was a choir.
Have a look :D

Mechanical arena v4:
qAmtsnn.jpg

The trigger, you teleport in on the right walk slowly over the timers and then teleport into the arena.
olFXaUh.jpg

Final wave @ 12:51
4PlDulA.jpg

A little pumpkin madness to finish off.
spJJR1B.jpg

Made 5 platinum selling the loot and enough drops to choose the ones with the best modifiers to keep. Now I am off to bed as my job finding a "working man's arena" for the Pumpkin moon is done. Note it took the spear traps of about 5 large worlds. It can how ever kill HM bosses and Pumpkinmoon event reliably.

@Telecorpse! Thought about using fireworks too, they are one use mechanisms, just like boulders, so they might be allowed, their fast speed and range might be the recipe for killing skeletron prime effectively. A setup using a ultimate engine, with the player placing the fireworks manually might be the most efficient.

@Telecorpse! Thought about using fireworks too, they are one use mechanisms, just like boulders, so they might be allowed, their fast speed and range might be the recipe for killing skeletron prime effectively. A setup using a ultimate engine, with the player placing the fireworks manually might be the most efficient.
Got to utilize dat party girl! :D

Started a Fungineer run. Will post screen caps of my creations. May use recordings for Youtube. Awesome idea btw.

FYI! Critical for ranged only, works for traps when holding a ranged weapon. :) I have reached 107% with shromite armor, sniper rifle and sniperscope. More may be possible too.

Last edited:
Quick hoiking question. Can boulders be hoiked? Can moving boulders? If they can, will they change the direction they go to the same the hoik launches them or will they continue their original route?

Basically what I'm asking is: is it possible to use hoiks to repeatedly recycle boulders in the same fight?

Naturally, the entry mechanism, if remotely possible, would have to be a timer and the boulders would need to be carefully placed between each skip of the actuators... Otherwise, the boulders break when they crash.

The more I write this, the less I want to know if its actually possible for some reason. If this were actually possible... *shudder*

Quick hoiking question. Can boulders be hoiked? Can moving boulders? If they can, will they change the direction they go to the same the hoik launches them or will they continue their original route?

Basically what I'm asking is: is it possible to use hoiks to repeatedly recycle boulders in the same fight?

Naturally, the entry mechanism, if remotely possible, would have to be a timer and the boulders would need to be carefully placed between each skip of the actuators... Otherwise, the boulders break when they crash.

The more I write this, the less I want to know if its actually possible for some reason. If this were actually possible... *shudder*
Boulders can be up hoiked, but their high speed doesn't allow them to stay for more than 15 ticks inside, hoiking against would lead to the boulder being destroyed by touching a block, it needs a bit more in depth analysis though.

Boulders can be up hoiked, but their high speed doesn't allow them to stay for more than 15 ticks inside, hoiking against would lead to the boulder being destroyed by touching a block, it needs a bit more in depth analysis though.

I see, so in order to implement recycling, a fully actuating hoik mechanismis required to be actuated by a timer at specific key points to prevent the boulder from being destroyed?

I see, so in order to implement recycling, a fully actuating hoik mechanismis required to be actuated by a timer at specific key points to prevent the boulder from being destroyed?
Unfortunately the boulders are destroyed upon hit with a block, since they work quite differently from mobs, boulders might attempt to move mid hoik run, and the next and closest block is one of the sawtooth teeth, I'm not entirely sure that my tests are correct, there might be a certain way to make it work.

I just beat Skeletron without using boulders! I used hoiks to get into the Jungle temple and killed him with the traps there. Here are screen shots, and I can put up a world and player download if asked. I honestly didn't think I would get this so quick.

I just beat Skeletron without using boulders! I used hoiks to get into the Jungle temple and killed him with the traps there. Here are screen shots, and I can put up a world and player download if asked. I honestly didn't think I would get this so quick.

Pretty creative approach! So did you summon Skeleton at the dungeon and just run all the way to the other side to the jungle and then the Temple? I was thinking that there might be a way of hoiking the old man but without access to wires that might not be possible. Early breaking into the Temple is pretty risky too since those mobs are really strong especially when the player hasn't passed skeletron yet. Did you find yourself struggling to deal with the mobs or were you able to survive without much trouble?

Pretty creative approach! So did you summon Skeleton at the dungeon and just run all the way to the other side to the jungle and then the Temple? I was thinking that there might be a way of hoiking the old man but without access to wires that might not be possible. Early breaking into the Temple is pretty risky too since those mobs are really strong especially when the player hasn't passed skeletron yet. Did you find yourself struggling to deal with the mobs or were you able to survive without much trouble?
Yes, I summoned him at the dungeon and ran all the way to a hole I dug. Basically I made a bubble out of mud and dug away at the inside, then expanded it until I got to one of the traps. I used the spiky ball trap to kill any monsters that had spawned in, and for some reason no more spawned. If the mobs had given me trouble I probably could have just magic-mirrored back to my bed at the surface and fell back down. I'm glad none of them hit through blocks.

Wouldn't the old step up entry for hoiks that was originally used when only up hoiks were available allow the old man to be hoiked? I've had zombies using my hoikevator on their own on several occasions and their entry is classic without actuators... It was a bit annoying since I was still at the top of the hoikevator constructing it at the time!

Of course actually making the old man enter the hoik is relatively easy if one limits his options to only that direction.

Back
Top Bottom