Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because we care about it, because they didn't deny or confirm we wouldn't get any information till the game was ready, in fact we got RADIO SILENCE, also because CUBEWORLD

Now now, you should be mad at them for this " hyping thing for a year or more" you so despise, because they've been doing this for years :

Didn't see you complain in 2015, sneak peek, preview, information every other month, they even made a TRAILER for christ sake! now what do you call that ? Healthy communication don't make me laugh, they hyped that S h i t up, even though the game wasn't plan to be released till 2016.

Before that remember Starbound ? this project was hyped up for years, and when the game was released, stayed in ALPHA for years , but still, we knew they were working on it.

So don't be mad at us for a bad habit they created to hype their game, don't be mad at us for asking, to have a bit of info twice a years, or is that already too much to ask ?

The worst is, im such a sucker for it, if they simply said, " we still working on it" every six month or so, i wouldn't worry that much, for a game I simply want to see released.
Tough nuts.
Deal with it.
I've said this countless times. They owe you nothing except a finished game.
The Hype was created by a team who had nothing to hype, who had dropped the ball and not even realised it.
Now the project is in the hands of professionals who are acting professionally.
They are concentrating completely on developing a product, no pandering to the whims of those who will never be satisfied with "still in development" announcements because they will want some evidence that it is "still in development".
They will whine and moan and cry for screenshots, for videos, for release dates.
Well I think it's perfectly obvious after all this time, that you will get what you get when you get it and not before.
If you cannot handle that then as I said before, tough nuts!
Must be terrible to have no patience.

Now now, you should be mad at them for this " hyping thing for a year or more" you so despise, because they've been doing this for years :

Didn't see you complain in 2015, sneak peek, preview, information every other month, they even made a TRAILER for christ sake! now what do you call that ? Healthy communication don't make me laugh, they hyped that S h i t up, even though the game wasn't plan to be released till 2016.
Are you suggesting I should have been complaining when the old team started hyping things up too early? I don't see what the point of that would be.

Before that remember Starbound ? this project was hyped up for years, and when the game was released, stayed in ALPHA for years , but still, we knew they were working on it.
The difference is they pushed out a buggy, bare bones and often broken as hell application that took years to actually have something to do in it other than build a spaceship and kill a bunch of monsters. Starbound was the original No Man's Sky.

So don't be mad at us for a bad habit they created to hype their game, don't be mad at us for asking, to have a bit of info twice a years, or is that already too much to ask ?
I'm not upset in the least. I just think it's counterproductive to sit here demanding information like we have a right to it. It doesn't matter what expectations they have set for anyone. Maybe they have decided the hype was too soon and now they're cutting things off until there's something worth sharing. Either way we don't get to decide how much or how often they communicate that.

The worst is, im such a sucker for it, if they simply said, " we still working on it" every six month or so, i wouldn't worry that much, for a game I simply want to see released.
For your sanity if nothing else, write this game off. When there's news to be had, every gaming website out there will be reporting it. The sequel/successor to Terraria will not go unnoticed. You'll know when it's time to check on this game again.

Tough nuts.
Deal with it.
I've said this countless times. They owe you nothing except a finished game.
The Hype was created by a team who had nothing to hype, who had dropped the ball and not even realised it.
Now the project is in the hands of professionals who are acting professionally.
They are concentrating completely on developing a product, no pandering to the whims of those who will never be satisfied with "still in development" announcements because they will want some evidence that it is "still in development".
They will whine and moan and cry for screenshots, for videos, for release dates.
Well I think it's perfectly obvious after all this time, that you will get what you get when you get it and not before.
If you cannot handle that then as I said before, tough nuts!
Must be terrible to have no patience.

Calm down we are havin a discussion about a game potentially in dev, no need to be aggresive behind a screen there.

Now thanks for the information, I didn't know they swapped team, I thought something went wrong with another studio they were working with, and were forced to begin from scratch again...

Then I think the only bit we have a disagrement is about communication, your view from what I get is,

" No information to the community, is fine, as long as they end up finishing the game" and " Information when a game is in development can waste precious development time to generate useless hype" and I get the logic behind it.

Mine is,

" Going from "We won't have open alpha or beta, but STAY TUNED for news on our progress!" to radio silence, is kinda ominous," In my mind when you say to me "stay tuned ", it does mean to keep yourself informed. You may disagree with me, but saying I have no patience is kind off pushing it .

For your sanity if nothing else, write this game off

I will be lying if I said I was still checking every month for news, the hype train crashed month ago when I realised the time needed to make a game with a little team from scratch, . In my mind I won't hear news from this till 2020.
Doesn't mean I can't come here and enjoy a bit of debate hey ?

I love Terraria. It is my favourite game. You seem like the nicest developers i ever saw.

I really like how TOW looks like. But i'm afraid some people just don't like the new artstyle. :/

I love Terraria. It is my favourite game. You seem like the nicest developers i ever saw.

I really like how TOW looks like. But i'm afraid some people just don't like the new artstyle. :/
Whatever "New artstyle" you have seen might be totally changed when TOW is finally released.

Just concerned that its taken them this long to release an update. Who knows how long it will take for a full game...
When you say "this long", how long do you mean?
Pipeworks only started work on T:OW in April of 2017. That is barely long enough to even get started in today's development arena.
The mess they inherited would probably take that long to untangle, if that is indeed what they are trying to do.
Or they might have started again from scratch.
Either way, eight months is not long enough to warrant an update.
And as you stated "who knows how long for a full game..."
As we know nothing about the game it is impossible to guess how long development will take.
They might still incorporate the suggested "tower defence" element from the original "design" or they might dispose of this completely and be creating something totally new.
Nothing is known, so attempts at guessing timescales are a waste of time and effort.

Leave the professionals to do their job.
Don't demand anything you are not entitled to.
News will come when it comes and not before.

Just concerned that its taken them this long to release an update. Who knows how long it will take for a full game...

Long enough, they sure decided to left us in the dark, how long has it been since one of them came here to talk to us the plebs ?

But this radio silence might be an order, to protect their game from potential :red: up during the development, if there is any.

Leave the professionals to do their job.
Don't demand anything you are not entitled to.

First we do, after replace demand with expect and I'll agree.
News will come when it comes and not before.
Thank you Captain Obvious I'll be on the look out for news coming before they come.

To be more serious, this is NOT a kickstarter project, and the more I think about it, the more it make sense from them to not reveal anything from their game, they might be protecting it from potential malevolent competition...

Last edited by a moderator:

You essentially just restated what I said. I presume you are talking about the news update. I am referring to 1.3 actually. I suppose it can be read either way. Regardless, I never guess at how long its going to take them, hence the last sentence. I don't expect a giant trailer or anything of that sort. Just a simple, its going along well, we will have more news in a few months, implementing some new features, game is looking good. Literally anything other than, keep tuned. We all know that ends up with us waiting for months for barely a picture and more upsetting news.

I don't want to sound pessimistic, I actually lost my blinding excitement long ago when I realized I was expecting too much. I just passed my programming class and boy was it hard work staying caught up. The coding they do far exceeds that which I do. Although I must say, Update 1.3 already had its assets in place and it took them a significant amount of time as far as I am aware. I am simply saying I think its going to be a very, very, very long while before we see anything on this game. Do I think we deserve more? Not necessarily. Feeling excitement, anger, happiness, and any other emotion is pointless on this game as far as I am concerned. The game essentially doesn't exist to the public. We know one thing, we will wait and so shall it be we wait. Wait. Wait.

Though from what I understand they did expect to finish the original game within a year, so I don't think it's too much to expect a bit of news after 9 months or so. Unless I understood incorrectly, then it might be too much to expect.

Not that I think it's easy to make a game, or that we deserve an update, they're working on it and I'm sure they'll tell us if they stop production.

Basically don't be to hard on people that ask for an update, it's not unreasonable, and don't think that Terraria: Otherworld is lost forever because we haven't had an update for a while, they'll update us if the status of the game changes (I would assume, anyways).

About still asking for updates now and complaining the game isn't coming sooner:
We're in 2018, they first wanted to release the earliest version in 2015 if I recall correctly(?)
Obviously the devs didn't want to wait that long, but it happened. They've been set back, and have to start over from scratch or something similar with a new team. Who else but them knows how long they've been working on Otherworld before announcing it in the first place, too?
I wouldn't expect it to come out in 2018 now, and they've advised us all to not expect a release any time soon anyway.

Spoilers and teasers only come when there's graphical (or musical, but that may come even later) details to be seen. Cool shading, mobs or items for instance, that comes up later in the making. Most of coding does not look cool, it just makes things work. So don't expect teasers any time soon either.

Please people- be patient. It won't come any sooner if you type an angry comment. Let's try to keep the conversation constructive.

If they keep at least part of what was shown in early teasers (link), I sure can't wait to mine asteroids on a terraria world. From the OST preview, do you people think that space biome would need some kind of warp to get to, or is it directly above the overworld of otherworld? Or maybe both, maybe you can't get in it without a warp but if you fall from up there you may just fall right on top of your home?

Also I'm still pretty hyped, even after all this time, to the ideas of swing grappling and explicit quests that get me where I'm supposed to be. Even if I may just try and build a nice-looking home instead. "You must cleanse the world of its corruption!" said the Dryad, but who ever really did that?

there are better games then this out now they took to long
I almost understand what you're implying.
There are a lot of great games out there and yes, the development of T:OW has taken an unexpectedly long time.
This is not the fault of Pipeworks.
They are doing their best to rectify or replace the appalling errors of the original developer.
Re-Logic are partially at fault, putting their trust in a company who immediately sat doing nothing for the first twelve months of development and then announced a title that had only just started any real advancement in code and/or graphics.
But you can't actually say there are "better games than this" because "THIS" doesn't exist yet, so you cannot compare an existing product with a non-existent product.
So, until T:OW finally arrives people should take advantage of this time and indulge in as many of the amazing indie titles on the market and then, when Pipeworks deliver the final product then comparisons can be made.

So it's been about 9 months without any word spoken about terraria otherworld, was it? I really want Terraria Otherworld to become a real game. The old Trailers from 2015 still hype me up today!

Just asking if anybody has some information about the cutrent state of Terraria Otherworld... I kinda feel lost without any news about it for so long :confused:

Nope, this is the latest, assuming that the Terraria: Otherworld twitter is being kept up to date, along with these forums.

I have to agree with you on the trailers though.

I almost wonder if they're going to rebrand the game as something else at this point. After all, the name "Otherworld" kinda seems like it's got a bad rep at this point. They even did say that they would redo the logo for the game, which, while it isn't necessarily proof that they would rename it, the fact that they may very well be dismantling/have dismantled most of the project and starting mostly from scratch would almost hint at that. While it has been over 9 months, I, for one, think it's good that they are taking their time before they announce something. After all, it's better to not get hyped over something too early in development, otherwise it creates expectations that may be unrealistic. And the last thing we want is a No Man's Sky scenario. Though Re-Logic seems to be totally opposite of someone like Sean Murray, so I doubt that would happen anyway.

And the last thing we want is a No Man's Sky scenario. Though Re-Logic seems to be totally opposite of someone like Sean Murray, so I doubt that would happen anyway.

To be fair, the launch from Hello Games was an overhyped fiasco and way too early, but they're actually serious about making the game work and never stopped fixing and updating for the last 1.5 years (also, it's offered DRM-free). The long-lasting commitment is something which I value in Re-Logics development approach as well, except Terraria had enough working content since the beginning to be called a full game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom