Biomes & Nature Choosing Crimson/Corruption before world generation

CriticalEdge

Terrarian
Hello all. I am not sure if this has been requested yet. Me and a couple of friends who are super hyped for this update were talking about something like this. Basically, we thought it might be a good idea to be able to choose between Crimson or Corruption, or any other similar biome to these that gets added, before world generation starts.

Further, to make use of the extra large biome selection, wouldn't it be cool to have both Crimson and Corruption generate in a single world naturally?

That would definitely be useful... And even with the world's "evil" shown in the world generation bar this would save even more time!
(I kinda wish there was just a hidden option mode that let you select which starting ores, evil realm, and hardmode ores...)

I think it'd be cool to be able to pick, but at the same time I think it'd be cool to have the option still to not pick for those who feel that it takes away from the experience.

Ok, you guys gave me some new ideas.
So basically it can start off like:

Do you want your world to have Corruption, Crimson, (insert any other that gets added here)...?

>Random
>Corruption
>Crimson
>Newly added biome (or biomes)
>Custom

Something like this, I guess.
This way, you can either choose whichever you want, select random (which acts as it does currently), or choose a custom setting, which could allow you to choose whichever ones you want your world to have (multiple selection for extra large biomes which would allow 2 at once, or maybe even more).

I suppose something like this can be done for ore generation as well. Select either random (which acts as it currently does), pick whichever ones you want in your world, or have an option to have all ores added in your world (extra large biomes).

What do you think?

I support because it's been quite infuriating spamming the world generator to get the evil biome that I don't want.

I also like the idea of selecting backgrounds.

I don't think I would like this much

Not knowing what "Nightmare" you will have to defend against puts the challenge in Terraria. If you're just sticking with one, where's the fun in that?

But, on the other hand (as behalf of TCF), this would seem pretty easy to code in, and make things more easier. Tooltips for choosing the evil:

Darkness creeps from the corners of this world
Chaos spreads among the surface of this world

The thing is that there is no surprise. Whether it says "Making the world evil" or "Making the world bloody" on world generation gives away what evil biome you will get. What ends up happening is that you want a play through with a certain evil and you have to generate a few worlds before you get what you want.

Exactly.
As it is right now, people who want a certain generation will look and see which world they get, and keep creating new worlds until they get what they want. If it ends up being changed to let the user select, the users that were content with random selection will select random, but now the users that want a certain world will be able to choose. It's a win-win, really.

Only thing I have to wonder is if this will invalidate the weaker alt ores. I feel like they won't get much love past this point, unless they balance them. I'm Okay with choosing biome generation(Though this also affects world drops so it could be abused).

Only thing I have to wonder is if this will invalidate the weaker alt ores. I feel like they won't get much love past this point, unless they balance them. I'm Okay with choosing biome generation(Though this also affects world drops so it could be abused).
I had the same thought but I'm sure the devs could find some solution to that problem. I have great faith in their talent.

This would kinda ruin all the alternates people have been making to the Crimson. It also ruins the random element.

On the other hand, it won't make anyone complain as much about separate worlds or artificial biomes. I'm kinda on the fence.

While I won't mind this option, but what I really want for Red to say is:

"Right, from now on, all worlds generated will have all biomes and ores in one whole lump-sump. This includes the five alternates we made for both hallow and crimruption, plus three more sets of ores. I hope you kids enjoy." :red2:

Invalidating the original ores isn't too much of a problem. It's not like anyone really uses ore tier for too long. By the time new players realize the difference between the alt ores and original ores, they will probably have gotten good enough to not need Platinum/Gold gear to beat EoW/BoC.

Invalidating the original ores isn't too much of a problem. It's not like anyone really uses ore tier for too long. By the time new players realize the difference between the alt ores and original ores, they will probably have gotten good enough to not need Platinum/Gold gear to beat EoW/BoC.

And then afterwards? What prevents people from never generating a world with alt ores once they know? One of the fun things about Terraria is the exploration and using what you're given. By enabling one to choose their ores will make the alternate ones be used sparingly in generation unless it comes down to taste in a ore, rather than stats. It would make them pointless unless they balanced the ores.

Back
Top Bottom