Serious cold xbox one

pgc00

Terrarian
I have an Xbox one original and I put it into a storage unit over a year ago. I also live in Michigan so it gets pretty cold during winter. Do you think it could still work or is it just gonna be scrap now?

Electronics doesn't care all that much about temperature when being stored. What matters is humidity. When transferring an electronic device from a cold environment (storage) to a warm environment (indoor), it's best to let it sit unpowered for a few days to so that it can dry out.

Some parts are more sensitive than others. The harddrive for instance is rather sensitive to temperature variations and humidity. The harddrive used in Xbox One is made for portable use and is fairly rugged though so it might still be okay. The power supply (PSU) is also somewhat sensitive. The big bucket capacitors could have taken damage if it got really cold.

There's a good chance your Xbox will work. Just take it slow and let it acclimatize itself when you take it inside. Don't power it up too quickly.

Thank you for your info. I was thinking about powering it on the next day but I will definitely wait now.

Back
Top Bottom