Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Journey's Beginning is a Music Box that requires 12 other music boxes in order to craft. Once crafted, you can record copies of Journey's Beginning with a single Music Box, which can then be decrafted in shimmer to produce those same 12 boxes. The decrafted boxes sell for more than the price of a single Music Box needed to re-record.

(Shimmer would be better suited to unrecording Music Boxes anyway)

Last edited:
The decrafted boxes sell for more than the price of a single Music Box needed to re-record.
Comparing value with time is an interesting one.
So let's see:
A recorded music box sells for 2 gold, altogether they sell for 12 gold per music box recording.
The recording time of a music box is random, but it's usually within 10 seconds.
But before you can sell it, each also needs to be shimmer decrafted.

It's for sure an exploit, but it's not something I consider very overpowered for the effort needed, Gold is pretty much a non-issue at post-plantera (needs an EoL music box), and there are probably better things to spend the time with, while collecting gold in the meantime.

Comparing value with time is an interesting one.

I think the best way to look at this is it saves both value and time. If you need extras of any of the component music boxes, then you can just record the final box and then decraft to get the one you need and some bonuses that you can either use, store, or sell. I ended up doing this to fill up whole chests for each of the component music boxes, because it was just more convenient to record them in bulk this way than to do them individually one-by-one. And it was infinitely more convenient than dragging a thousand boxes one-by-one out of the Wizard's shop inventory.

Though I guess at this point this seems less like an exploit, and more of an unintended convenience.

Back
Top Bottom