NPCs & Enemies Comet: Space hazards.

TheGuideIsEvil

Terrarian
Comets are invincible entities that sometimes spawn in Space. They resemble blue, yellow, or orange flying comets.

They fly at a moderate rate through the sky, not chasing the player but simply traveling horizontally. If you get hit by the comet, you keep getting pushed by it and dealt about 20 damage a second, until you move away.

Comets cannot be destroyed.

How exactly does this make the game better? It's a creature that you literally cannot interact with except for taking minor damage and knockback. I don't necessarily think that every feature needs to have a use or purpose, but this can't really be said to enrich the biome it's in. It just exists.

How exactly does this make the game better? It's a creature that you literally cannot interact with except for taking minor damage and knockback. I don't necessarily think that every feature needs to have a use or purpose, but this can't really be said to enrich the biome it's in. It just exists.
It makes the bestiary more difficult to complete and it adds new stuff to the pretty boring space biome. I support this idea

It makes the bestiary more difficult to complete and it adds new stuff to the pretty boring space biome. I support this idea
Explain to me what this does to make the space biome less boring. You literally cannot interact with this creature. It might as well be in the background. And making the bestiary more difficult to complete is not a positive, especially if it's done in this way, where there's nothing interesting about the creature in question.

Explain to me what this does to make the space biome less boring. You literally cannot interact with this creature. It might as well be in the background. And making the bestiary more difficult to complete is not a positive, especially if it's done in this way, where there's nothing interesting about the creature in question.
If you want a use, I guess it could be a post Lunatic Cultist enemy, and it drops some kind of fragment, dependent on color? Purple could drop Nebula, blue drops Stardust, green drops Vortex, and orange drops Solar.

Well, technically, they spawn before that point. But they are largely hard to kill before you get actually get good gear. However at the endgame stage of the game, comets actually drop fragments and can actually be destroyed due to the stronger gear you have.

Comets could exhibit behavior based on their fragment:

Solar: Makes damaging explosions.
Nebula: Shoots blasts of lightning
Stardust: Splits into multiple comets as it is being destroyed that fly off in various directions.
Vortex: Blasts a scanning laser.

They probably don't drop fragments prior to the endgame.

Last edited:
There are two types of mobs there and two variations to the landscape. It would just add a bit of spice. As for the bestiary I just thought that it would be more rewarding to complete it if this were a thing

I really feel like every enemy doesn't have to have some major reason to exist. It can just be for variety. A lot of the dungeon enemies aren't really special they're just various of skeletons

If you want a use, I guess it could be a post Lunatic Cultist enemy, and it drops some kind of fragment, dependent on color? Purple could drop Nebula, blue drops Stardust, green drops Vortex, and orange drops Solar.

Well, technically, they spawn before that point. But they are largely hard to kill before you get actually get good gear. However at the endgame stage of the game, comets actually drop fragments and can actually be destroyed due to the stronger gear you have.

Comets could exhibit behavior based on their fragment:

Solar: Makes damaging explosions.
Nebula: Shoots blasts of lightning
Stardust: Splits into multiple comets as it is being destroyed that fly off in various directions.
Vortex: Blasts a scanning laser.

They probably don't drop fragments prior to the endgame.
I'm not asking for a "use" or a "purpose." Enemies don't have to be "useful" to the player. But this one is entirely non-interactable. It's functionally equivalent to the spike ball trap "enemy" from the Dungeon, except much worse because it doesn't work make the biome it's in more interesting to navigate. It probably wouldn't even change how you interact with other enemies when its around, because it'll just move off screen sooner or later.

I'm not asking for a "use" or a "purpose." Enemies don't have to be "useful" to the player. But this one is entirely non-interactable. It's functionally equivalent to the spike ball trap "enemy" from the Dungeon, except much worse because it doesn't work make the biome it's in more interesting to navigate. It probably wouldn't even change how you interact with other enemies when its around, because it'll just move off screen sooner or later.
Okay....I guess I still like the idea of the color determining behavior.

What if it had 1000 health so it could be a challenge to fight? Maybe if you go close enough it chases you?

Solar could charge at you fast, Nebula could make a staticky explosion of purple lightning, Vortex could blast lasers at fast speeds, and Stardust always travels as a star storm of smaller faster comets; said comets also break into smaller bits like I suggested earlier

They could drop some kind of object...

Okay....I guess I still like the idea of the color determining behavior.

What if it had 1000 health so it could be a challenge to fight? Maybe if you go close enough it chases you?

Solar could charge at you fast, Nebula could make a staticky explosion of purple lightning, Vortex could blast lasers at fast speeds, and Stardust always travels as a star storm of smaller faster comets; said comets also break into smaller bits like I suggested earlier

They could drop some kind of object...
Hmm... this is moving in the right direction, but it needs to make use of the biome it's in. I also don't personally think that having different versions of the enemy for each different type of fragment is a good idea. If you'd like, I could tell you how I would design the enemy, but I don't want to inhibit your creativity.

Hmm... this is moving in the right direction, but it needs to make use of the biome it's in. I also don't personally think that having different versions of the enemy for each different type of fragment is a good idea. If you'd like, I could tell you how I would design the enemy, but I don't want to inhibit your creativity.
Sure, go for it. I'm curious. Heh

If you want input, I would just have comets be relatively uncommon low-health entities with a chance to drop a few random ores like Lead or Silver.
Keep the contact damage part (maybe increase it a bit), but maybe cut out the pushing part because no other creatures can do that so it would be a little strange and annoying.
It could explain how the floating islands ended up being rich with ore as well.

Back
Top Bottom