Crashing on Windows 10

MrDerpHerpin

Official Terrarian
okay, no matter what, terraria just stopped working today, and i have tried almost everything, i am coming to the conclusion that it HAS to be a windows 10 compatability issue, as i have tried re-installing EVERYTHING and nothing works. it will either crash, or run but play at a horrendous framerate.
please help if you can, as this is seriously making me not want to play terraria anymore...

(i run on a decent gaming pc too, gtx 660 i5 quad core @ 3.10 GHz 2 TB SSHD @7200 RPM 16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz. i apologize about double posting, didn't realize i was breaking a rule.)

Also, just for the sake of keeping things coherent; please avoid double posting, as its against the rules on this forum. :) If you have more info to add, please use the Edit button at the bottom of your post to add more info.

Alright, so you say it stopped working TODAY, correct? When was the last time it worked correctly?

Have you tried toggling the Multi-core lighting or Frameskip options in the menu to see if it helps with the frame rate issue?

okay, no matter what, terraria just stopped working today, and i have tried almost everything, i am coming to the conclusion that it HAS to be a windows 10 compatability issue, as i have tried re-installing EVERYTHING and nothing works. it will either crash, or run but play at a horrendous framerate.
please help if you can, as this is seriously making me not want to play terraria anymore...

(i run on a decent gaming pc too, gtx 660 i5 quad core @ 3.10 GHz 2 TB SSHD @7200 RPM 16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz. i apologize about double posting, didn't realize i was breaking a rule.)
i have tried that with failed results sadly.
it was working correctly at 6:00PM yesterday, played it all week up until today.
yes, i have verified the game before about 5 minutes ago, the only thing i have not tried yet is restarting my pc. and no, i have not made any major changes to my pc.

restarting my pc now to see if that will make any changes, but before that, i am going to do a fresh re-installation of the framework first.

Last edited:
Alright, well then its clear something changed with your computer; Terraria has not been updated or changed in any way in the past 24 hours.

Have any major changes been made to your computer since then? Have you tried restarting your computer?

Have you tried going into Steam and verifying the game integrity?

Oh, you don't have to edit your old post after I've made one. Just make sure that there is always a post coming after your own! :) You don't want to post 5 times in a row or anything.

I would strongly recommend restarting your PC then, as this abrupt overnight change isn't related to Terraria (it literally can't be, the game hasn't changed)

Alright, well then its clear something changed with your computer; Terraria has not been updated or changed in any way in the past 24 hours.

Have any major changes been made to your computer since then? Have you tried restarting your computer?

Have you tried going into Steam and verifying the game integrity?
alright, thank you for assisting me btw. restarting so i will be back in a little bit.

just got back on, testing the game real quick.

okay, so the game works, but the framerate issue is still present.

You said in the other thread that you reinstalled .Net and Java (though Java shouldn't have any impact on this game). Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling XNA?

Here are the instructions for that:
To do this, first go to Control Panel > Uninstall Program (under Programs), then scroll through the list of programs until you find XNA 4.0. Right click and uninstall it. Please note that you might have multiple versions of each. Only uninstall the specific versions above as it might negatively affect other programs or games if you uninstall all of them. After that, go to the link below and download and install the new version. You may also have to restart your computer after all this is done.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

I'm still inquiring about other potential causes, but this is something to try in the mean time.

just did that 1 min. ago, and while it did allow the world to load, the game still runs at a terrible framerate.

okay, relaunched the game and it works at full speed now. thank you!

Okay, so if I understand correctly, both the crashing and the FPS issues seem to be resolved?

Keep an eye on it, and check back in with me later today and let me know if it all worked out for you, alright? :)

Back
Top Bottom