Crashing when tabbing out

rilsin

Terrarian
Ever since 1.14 Ive had a consistent bug where the game crashes each and every time I attempt to tab out, I've looked for solutions and tried a million different things to attempt to fix this but nothing works. I was really hoping with 1.14.1 it'd fix this issue but unfortunately thats not the case. And it's not all just alt tabbing the same crash happens if I do things like click out of the window or hit the windows start key. As for what I've already tried to do to fix this is from what I can remember, reinstalling the game, reinstalling the game on a new drive, playing with both the steam overlay on and off, forcing a resolution change using the .ini, updating my video drivers, updating windows, deleting all of my save worlds and characters, and of course verifying cache. ive been getting by with just my phone or steams built in browser but its incredibly limiting having to save and quit everytime i need to do something out of terraria. The one thing Ive been able to find out when searching around for a solution is that at least one other person with this exact issue is also using a gtx 770, so idk if its an issue with supporting that card in particular or what?

i hate to bump this but i know im not the only one with this issue and id love for there to be a solution here

Are you getting any sort of crash log for this?

If you have error logging enabled, it should generate a log in your Terraria save folder in the "Logs" sub-folder for the entire play session.

You could launch the game and force crash it by tabbing out a minute into play and provide that log, and we might be able to get a clue as to what is causing the issue.

Error Logging Enabled.
Resolution changed to: 1920x1080.
Razer Chroma initialized.
Corsair RGB intialized.
No usable Corsair RGB devices found. Shutting down Corsair SDK.
Corsair RGB unitialized.
================
10/21/2020 1:56:04 PM: First-Chance Exception
Thread: 1 [Main Thread]
Culture: en-US
Exception: ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.DeviceInitializationException: LogitechGSDK failed to initialize.
at ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.Logitech.LogitechDeviceGroup.Initialize()
================

Logitech RGB not supported. (Can be disabled via Config.json)
================
10/21/2020 1:56:05 PM: First-Chance Exception
Thread: 10 []
Culture: en-US
Exception: System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'CreateChromaLinkEffect' in DLL 'RzChromaSDK.dll'.
at ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.Razer.NativeMethods.CreateChromaLinkEffect(ChromaLinkEffectType effect, CustomChromaLinkEffect& effectData, Guid& effectId)
at ReLogic.Peripherals.RGB.Razer.EffectHandle.SetAsChromaLinkEffect(CustomChromaLinkEffect& effect)
================

Razer Chroma unitialized.
Corsair RGB unitialized.
WaveMaskData texture recreated. 86x135
WaveMaskData texture recreated. 85x135

The bad news is, this crash log contains nothing unexpected (its just standard stuff indicating that you didn't have various RGB peripherals, which is not a bad thing).

So whatever is causing the crash is either outside of Terraria, or its so abrupt its preventing Terraria from even completing its log before it crashes entirely.

So I guess I'll ask a few questions, have you try a few things, and we'll see if anything sticks, as this is not a particularly common issue, nor one that any of us can reproduce.

So lets start with:
1. Are you using a single or dual screen setup?
2. You mentioned clicking outside of the window, are you using windowed mode? Have you tried using either fullscreen mode, or windowed borderless mode? Both of those options can be accessed in the main menu's settings.
3. What resolution are you running at?

Additionally, can you provide all of your PC's specs for me?

If nothing stands out, I'll probably move this thread to Tech Support, as this is probably a specific graphics card/Terraria issue which will be hard for me to diagnose, but we can at least sort through the questions above first.

im using 3 monitors
i believe the game is running in borderless windowed mode, i cant actually change that as it crashes the game aswell
im running at 1920x1080

geforce gtx 770
ryzen 5 2600
16gigs of ram no idea what exactly
windows 10

You should be able to modify those settings outside of game through the config/config.json file.

This is found in the same Terraria saves folder where you found the Logs sub-folder, Documents/My Games/Terraria.

If you open it up with any text editor, you can find the following lines:

"Fullscreen": false,
"WindowMaximized": false,
"WindowBorderless": false,
"DisplayWidth": 1600,
"DisplayHeight": 1024,

If you modify these to various settings (True, False, etc) as needed, you can change whether the game will launch in any of these modes on the next launch. From there, we can see if the crashing behavior is any different in the different settings.

ive already tried that but i tried doin it again and yeah still the same issues, booted the game using each method of screen size and loaded up my world then tried tabbing out only for it to crash. logs are all the same

Well, I'm afraid this is something of a dead end here. There's no clues as to what might be the issue.

As a last chance solution, have you tried running Terraria as administrator? Its possible, albeit unlikely, the crash is happening because Terraria is attempting to try to save settings data and your PC is preventing it from doing so.

image (1).png

If this doesn't work, I'll move it to tech support. :(

Alright, going to move the thread. Sorry I don't have anything more helpful to share, but there's very little to work with here. :(

judging by my experience the average wait time on the terraria forums is about 2 weeks god willing so best of luck

yall can just tell me you dont know whats goin on yknow literally any amount of closure here would be fantastic

Back
Top Bottom