tModLoader Crit Sound Effects

Rai

Terrarian
Is your game lacking that specific sense of satisfactory feedback? Do your critical weapon hits feel just not critical enough?
If that's so, then prepare for your satisfaction to be satisfyingly satisfied with...

Crit Sound Effects! Version 1.3.0.2

This is a very simple mod that I've cooked up to learn the basics of C# and practice my programming skills a bit. It adds randomly selected, unique sound effects for dealing critical hits with both melee and projectile-based weaponry! It also allows you to add your own custom sounds to all crit categories!
For your convenience and for the custom sounds to work, the mod downloads libraries used for audio playing (bass.dll, mandatory) or for your enabled add-ons in the config file (optional).
If you have the mod yet happen to not have an Internet connection on your first launch, please download bass.dll from the mod's GitHub page and put it next to your Terraria.exe.

Current features include:
• Randomized, unique sound effects for dealing critical damage both with melee weaponry and projectile-based stuff!
• Categorized, different sound effects for all different projectiles!
• Original crit sounds for 8 different projectile categories (as well as stabbing with melee weaponry)!
• Possibility to easily add your own sounds! How easily, you ask? Drag-and-drop easily!
• Easter eggs!
Mod Settings Configurator (by Flashkirby99) support.

How do the custom sounds work?
Custom sounds work in a similar fashion as music in Oblivion - just drop as many files as you want into the respective crit category folders! As long as the codec of your sound file is supported, it'll play once you deal a respective crit to an enemy!
The crit sounds are randomly chosen by the code, same as standard crit sounds!
If you have no crit sounds installed, standard crit sounds will play. Having at least one custom crit sound will make only the custom files play.

How do I add my own custom sounds?
Upon the first launch of the game with the mod enabled, in your tModLoader directory (Documents/My Games/Terraria/tModLoader), a "Crit Sounds" folder should appear. Inside it is a "Custom" folder, which contains all the separate crit categories that the code recognizes and plays. Simply drag and drop your audio files into any of these folders, and voila!

My sounds do not work!
Check that your audio files are encoded in a codec supported by BASS or any of the add-ons which you can enable in the config file. The list of codecs is available on the Un4seen Developments' website.

I have an issue/recommendation or I want to contribute to the mod. How can I do that?
If you have an issue or a recommendation for the mod, feel free to leave a forum post or the mod's GitHub page! The GitHub repository is where you can also contribute to the mod directly by offering code changes!
If there's anything else that should be in this FAQ, but currently isn't, feel free to recommend me what to add in this forum thread!

• Projectiles no longer disappear on crit!
  • Moved from Bass.NET to ManagedBass (Fun fact: ManagedBass is also used by Osu!Lazer!),
    • Many thanks to Mathew Sachin!
  • Implemented log4net (no more obsolete spam!),
  • Removed chat commands since they didn't work anyways,
  • Massive code cleanup,
  • New configuration file name - "Crit Sounds v13.json".

Download
The mod is available for download from internal mod browser, from MEGA and is available for download and collaboration on the mod's GitHub page.

The mod can be freely extracted (source code and audio resources included), and the code can be used by anyone freely. Do consider crediting me if you do, though. I won't bite otherwise.

• Initial public mod release
  • A major code re-write!
    • All player-emmited projectiles are now categorized and separated into seven different categories.
      • Vanilla Terraria only.
      • Modded items have unique crit sounds chosen by their damage type.
    • All categories have unique sound effects.
      • No more yoyos making ranged weaponry sounds!
    • More detailed configuration support (including Mod Settings Configurator)
    • Starting with version 1.1.0, the configuration file, generated in Mod Config, will now bear the latest major revision's version as a suffix to decrease potential problems.
      • Old "Crit Sounds.json" can be safely removed.
  • New original crit sounds!
    • Thanks to the new system, different weapons now have different crit sounds based on their projectiles and damage type.
  • Sounds converted to MP3 to reduce file size.
  • Critical sound scripts for damage taken removed.
  • New code batch for handling customized damage types.
  • Normalized audio volume.
  • Fixed outdated info in mod's internal browser description.
  • Removed legacy code.
  • Community contributions!
    • Added a new easter egg, idea courtesy of MinerTurtle45
  • Minor audio fixes.
  • Custom sounds support is finally here!
    • Add any sounds you want, at any quantity that you want!
    • A wide array of codecs are supported, thanks to the BASS library implementation! (kudos to Un4seen Developments for BASS Audio library and radio42for the BASS.NET Wrapper)
      • Not satisfied with available codecs by default? Easily add more supported codecs by simply switching some variables from "false" to "true" in the configuration file! It's as easy as that!
    • No hassle, just drag and drop your files into the respective crit categories!
    • More info on custom sounds is available in the respective spoiler.
  • Code re-organization.
  • New configuration file name - "Crit Sounds v120.json". Old versions of the config file can be safely removed.
  • New chat commands for reloading config file and re-scanning mod folders for custom sounds.
  • Added the ability to enable BASS add-ons for a wider codec support.
  • Temporary removal of ZXTune support.
  • Volume support for pack-in and custom crit sounds!
    • Can be tweaked in the configuration as well as in the Mod Configurator menu.
  • Channel pan calculation added for custom crit sounds.
  • More detailed Mod Settings Configurator support.
  • New configuration file name - "Crit Sounds v122.json". It's a slight departure from how it used to be, but this was necessary due to new variables being added.
  • Audio resources uploaded to GitHub repository.
  • Support for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of tModLoader!
    • Automatically handles downloading libraries for both versions without needing any manual changes.
  • Addon list trimmed to 4 most popular codecs - FLAC, OPUS, WMA and AAC.
  • Library downloads now use the TLS protocol.
  • New configuration file name - "Crit Sounds v123.json".
  • Projectiles no longer dissapear on crit!
  • Moved from Bass.NET to ManagedBass (Fun fact: ManagedBass is also used by Osu!Lazer!)
  • Implemented log4net (no more obsolete spam!)
  • Removed chat commands since they didn't work anyways.
  • Massive code cleanup
  • New configuration file name - "Crit Sounds v13.json".

Last edited:
A major major MAJOR update is available now for download from the provided link and the internal mod browser! Changelog is featured in the original post, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it!

I'm sorry for being inactive as of late. It is the true prime of exam time in my university.

i didnt hear any crit sound effects...

That's weird. Make sure the mod is installed correctly!
Also, just in case you happen to use any custom mods, the crit sounds featured in this mod (as of version 1.1.0) are normalized based on the volume of vanilla Terraria sounds, so if you have any custom ones, they might be a tad bit too loud and might be drowning the crit sounds.

thorium crossover?(symphonic and radiant crit sounds?)

I'd love to add crit sounds to custom damage types, especially Thorium ones, but I'd have to look deeper and see if I can make it work somehow, since I'm yet to learn how custom damage types work fully. Meanwhile, starting with version 1.1.1, the mod has basic crit support for modded damage types (I've personally tested it with Radiant damage), so I hope this will at least sate that cross-over appetite for at least a bit (I know that it won't for me, not until I'll get proper sounds to work! :p)

Can there be sounds for Minion/Sentry/Alchemy/Mysticism Crits?

Yes! Starting with version 1.1.0, summons now have their own unique sounds (sadly, currently only in Vanilla Terraria with a mod that enables summoned minions to deal crits, though I might look into possibly working around it, if possible)! It is also entirely possible to add custom sound effects to sentries, if you so wish. As for custom damage types from other mods, please see my response to Moon_Man's question right over yours!

Last edited:
Not sure if it's possible, but if it is, The Axe, and only The Axe, should use Kumatora's crit sound from Mother 3. Just as a little easter egg. Like I said, may not be possible, but still.

Not sure if it's possible, but if it is, The Axe, and only The Axe, should use Kumatora's crit sound from Mother 3. Just as a little easter egg. Like I said, may not be possible, but still.
You know, that's actually a pretty damn good idea. It's so good, in fact, that it looks like it's actually part of the newest mod update!
Check out version 1.1.3 for it, and I hope you like it!

For Moon Lord weapons, Stardust weapons, and any Terra weapon (Sword and any modded weapon, including variants (The Three Masterminds, Broken Hopes and Shattered Dreams, and The Uninvited, shall Antiaris update (They're my ideas))), make the Crit sound...

Bruh

Is there a way to put my own customized sounds?
Not as of currently, no. I did have that concept in mind when re-coding the mod, so I'll most likely consider implementing it (implying I'll even figure out how that'll work).

Though, if you really want to, you COULD technically change tModLoader to use the "Stream from cache" audio option and just replace the crit sounds in the ModCache folder.

EDIT: It's time for a change, my dudes! I've released an experimental build of the mod, titled Version 1.2.0, available in the OP's spoiler, that has custom audio support!

Last edited:
A major major MAJOR update is available now for download from the provided link and the internal mod browser! Changelog is featured in the original post, and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it!

I'm sorry for being inactive as of late. It is the true prime of exam time in my university.

That's weird. Make sure the mod is installed correctly!
Also, just in case you happen to use any custom mods, the crit sounds featured in this mod (as of version 1.1.0) are normalized based on the volume of vanilla Terraria sounds, so if you have any custom ones, they might be a tad bit too loud and might be drowning the crit sounds.

I'd love to add crit sounds to custom damage types, especially Thorium ones, but I'd have to look deeper and see if I can make it work somehow, since I'm yet to learn how custom damage types work fully. Meanwhile, starting with version 1.1.1, the mod has basic crit support for modded damage types (I've personally tested it with Radiant damage), so I hope this will at least sate that cross-over appetite for at least a bit (I know that it won't for me, not until I'll get proper sounds to work! :p)

Yes! Starting with version 1.1.0, summons now have their own unique sounds (sadly, currently only in Vanilla Terraria with a mod that enables summoned minions to deal crits, though I might look into possibly working around it, if possible)! It is also entirely possible to add custom sound effects to sentries, if you so wish. As for custom damage types from other mods, please see my response to Moon_Man's question right over yours!

ahhh now it works now...yea they might be something that was Drowning it out but i see the newer update i can clearly hear then hun <3

Ever wanted to hear your best friend scream at you loudly every time you poked someone with an arrow? Ever wanted endless memes to spout out from every stab you make with a blunt wooden shortsword? Well, worry no more, for I've introduced experimental builds!

The current experimental build has a major addition to my mod - custom sound support! Easily add as many sounds as you want from a wide array of supported codecs by just dropping your sound files into respective sound categories! More info and download links are available in the respective spoiler in the original post, and even more info is available on the experimental build's GitHub page, also provided in the spoiler! I hope you all enjoy it!

Do note that the experimental build requires you to have bass.dll installed next to your Terraria.exe for mods to work properly. This may be subject to change in the future experimental builds. Oh, and as per experimental build tradition, do expect many, many bugs! That's just part of the process :p.

It's been a wild ride, these past numerous days, but it is finally here!

The experimental build has been migrated to the stable build, and now everyone can get to enjoy version 1.2.1, and what does that mean? That means custom sound support, baby!

More info is available in the OP and my post right before this one!

Hi. I love your mod and your sound design. But meh, you said the volume is normalized at the classic terraria's hit sound level but since it's using a wider frequency range, it is still too loud. Could you please make a volume config into your .json config file or give us your sounds in order to lower the volume manually and use them as custom ? Thank you !

It's been a wild ride, these past numerous days, but it is finally here!

The experimental build has been migrated to the stable build, and now everyone can get to enjoy version 1.2.1, and what does that mean? That means custom sound support, baby!

More info is available in the OP and my post right before this one!
:D :D :D :D THX

Hi. I love your mod and your sound design. But meh, you said the volume is normalized at the classic terraria's hit sound level but since it's using a wider frequency range, it is still too loud. Could you please make a volume config into your .json config file or give us your sounds in order to lower the volume manually and use them as custom ? Thank you !

Ah, sorry about that!

I'm happy to report that the new update, v1.2.2.1, contains volume sliders for built-in and custom sounds, as well as other small additions! Check them out either from the config file, or from Mod Settings Configurator's menu!

Aside from that, I've also made audio resources freely available both when extracting the mod internally or from the mod's GitHub repository!

Ah, sorry about that!

I'm happy to report that the new update, v1.2.2.1, contains volume sliders for built-in and custom sounds, as well as other small additions! Check them out either from the config file, or from Mod Settings Configurator's menu!

Aside from that, I've also made audio resources freely available both when extracting the mod internally or from the mod's GitHub repository!
I love you,

cordially,
:)

I'm downloading for one reason...if the "PING" from Smash bros isn't here i will be very sad XD. Good mod man

So i decided to use Tsunami + holy Arrows and Decided to hit enemies in the temple and for some reason this appeared in the Chat while using your mod
rz7edgJ.png

Are you able to explain what this is?

Back
Top Bottom