Crushing Pumpkin Moon and all 3 Mechanical Bosses using an easy-to-build Cannonball Arena

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
When it comes to Pumpkin Moon autofarming, the Omega Farm is a very effective way of grinding for money and gear:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...inal-wave-at-10-30pm-42-platinum-night.17682/

However, the Omega Farm is more of a late-game farm once the player has gathered a lot of resources and has all the best gear. This guide is for a Pumpkin Moon farm that is much easier to build and can be built in early hardmode as soon as the pirate NPC becomes available. It's also a farm that can be built using resources from one world only, instead of requiring one to visit multiple worlds to farm for Spear Traps. I already posted a guide to the cannonball arena previously, but this cannonball arena is much improved and the video showcases the power of the cannon a lot better.

The Cannonball Arena in Action:

I do two farming funs. In the first run I use the cannon only with mid-range gear equipped, and I manage to reach the final wave at 11:09pm since the cannon is incredibly powerful. In the second farming run I use a combination of the cannon and ravens, and reach a final wave time of 10:17pm. The good summoner gear can be obtained in the first cannonball run, so all subsequent farming runs can use ravens for better yields per night.

Schematics:

6918F51A683A3D16B36719F2CD7696B9EB4F9709

AB0198CAF1939F1C91A4E6EDDD0FD922586BE123

How the Farm Works:

The player moves to the platform at the top and pulls the lever to deactuate the dungeon spike immediately below the platform and activate the 5-second timer to begin alternating the spawn surfaces. At 7:30pm the player initiates the Pumpkin Moon and starts firing the cannon straight up by holding down the left mouse button. When the Mourning Woods arrive in wave 4, the player drops down onto the dungeon spike, whose damage will block most of the projectile and contact damage from Mourning Woods and Pumpkings. Once the night is over the player drops down to the spawn surface and hits the switch to the right, summoning a merchant to sell of excess gear (the bottom blue wire leads to a teleporter in the merchant's house).

Important dimensions:

The topmost spawn surface should be at least 36 tiles from the dungeon spike to ensure spawns. Lava has to extend at least 84 tiles to the left and right of the player position to block unwanted spawns. The spawn surface should be enclosed by side walls at least 8 tiles high to contain the Headless Horsemen during the Pumpkin moon event.

Notes:

The spawn surfaces alternate every 5 seconds to cause hearts, coins, and spooky wood to drop into the lava and get destroyed. This is necessary since the Mourning Woods will drop a ton of hearts during the entire event, and the item cap of 400 will be reached very quickly, causing some of the valuable drops to disappear.

The cannon isn't capable of critical strikes, and boosts to damage from gear have no effect on cannon damage. Warding is the best reforge on accessories.

The cannon requires around 1700 cannonballs per Pumpkin Moon event, which will cost over 2 platinum. This is worth the investment since the yield from the event will be around 20 platinum.

The player should aim for over 60 defense to minimize damage from the dungeon spike. Trash accessories can be used so that it doesn't cost very much to reforge them all to Warding, although at least one of those accessories should be the Cross Necklace. A shield should be equipped as well (a Cobalt Shield from the dungeon works perfectly fine). An Ironskin Potion can be consumed to boost defense if necessary.

Once the summoner gear is acquired, the player can follow the ideal protocol to generate the strongest minions possible and boost defense as much as possible:

Protocol for summoning the most powerful minions:

1) Put on Spooky set, Celestial Stone, Avenger Emblem, Hercules Beetle, Papyrus Scarab, Necromantic Scroll (all Menacing)
2) Drink Summon Potion (+1 minion), Wrath Potion (+10% minion damage), and eat Pumpkin Pie (+5% minion damage)
3) Summon 7 Ravens using a Ruthless Raven Staff
4) Swap in Pygmy Necklace (Menacing) for Celestial Stone and summon 8th minion
5) Swap in Tiki set for Spooky set and summon 9th minion

Extended Protocol to increase Defense:

6) Swap in a Warding Cross Necklace and a Warding Paladin Shield (or any other shield) for the Menacing Avenger Emblem and Menacing Hercules Beetle
7) Exchange Menacing versions of Papyrus Scarab, Necromantic Scroll, and Pygmy Necklace for Warding versions

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBcXZPdDVUNzEzcm8/view?usp=sharing

Is the spike still relevant for 1.3? Because I think when I stand on the spike it doesn't make me invincible instead I am taking damage from both pumpking and the spike. When I checked out the wiki it states this in the history section:
"1.3.0.5: Spike damage is kept separate from other damage when factoring immunity, preventing abuse of invincibility frames."

Also is it possible to integrate a hoik conveyer belt to hoik up all the hearts and coins?

Is the spike still relevant for 1.3? Because I think when I stand on the spike it doesn't make me invincible instead I am taking damage from both pumpking and the spike. When I checked out the wiki it states this in the history section:
"1.3.0.5: Spike damage is kept separate from other damage when factoring immunity, preventing abuse of invincibility frames."

This arena now only works on console, not on PC. However it can be modified so that it uses an alternate invincibility trick instead of using the spike.

Also is it possible to integrate a hoik conveyer belt to hoik up all the hearts and coins?

Yes, you can certainly do this.

Hmm... Too bad. Can you tell me how you take images in game with such large dimensions, because I would like to show you something I added to your farm. I take on the invincibility from minor mobs but, don't know why, they get killed somehow during wave 15. I think you may find the flaw in it.

Hmm... Too bad. Can you tell me how you take images in game with such large dimensions, because I would like to show you something I added to your farm. I take on the invincibility from minor mobs but, don't know why, they get killed somehow during wave 15. I think you may find the flaw in it.

To take a large pic, activate camera mode (its right where the housing and equipment buttons are on the right). Here are the details:

http://terraria.wiki.gg/Camera_mode

When in camera mode go into frame mode, open the mini-map and frame what you want to take a picture of, and then take the pic. Click the folder icon to open the folder with that pic.

Here is the thing, nothing much but still a thing:
YvmTXNE.jpg

egZwHYh.jpg

IIf you don't bother to make it then here's the description. Instead of a spike I have a monster box which I have named the immortality box because with enough defense and regeneration one cannot lose more than 2 health. I have that actuated roof because earlier ther was a crab statue so it was needed to contain them. I didnt remove it because I use this arena for the martian invasion, to block the death ray from the saucer. On its left is a house to make my spawn point, nothing much to bother about. Below is the same thing as in your arena just with some slight adjustments for my personal taste.

Last edited:
Yes, it does. It's a little more difficult to get to the final wave on mobile/console though.
Just tried it out today, It worked! Ive also noticed that when wearing the jack o' lantern mask while wearing shroomite gear, the particles from the mask will still be visible when cloaked. Interesting huh?

So I just built this farm and it's working like a charm against the Pumpkin Moon. I was wondering if anyone of you have tested it on the Frost Moon? It'd be pretty sweet if it works against that event aswell :) Thanks.

Well, I needed something to survive the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon on 3DS, let's hope I get decent loot! XD

Also, built it replacing the slab blocks with Living Wood, the Slab Wall with Pearlwood Wall, and the Gray Brick Wall with Planked Wood. Looks rather nice! Even used Spooky Wood platforms to make the look feel complete, and Wood Fences in place of the Iron Fence toppers.

I love all your intricate designs, and thanks for providing the world to try these out. This one, on the other hand, intrigued me by its simplicity. I had not seen the note that this doesn't work anymore in 1.3 on PC when I tried it, so my char died on Wave 12 during the first attempt, and the rest of the night in town was dreary. For whatever reason, slime-based invicibility methods seem not to work on my char, either, so I just decided to hook up a different spawn point from a sky island house and just make it back to the fray after a rebuff and healing, using your generous supplies.

One question though: For whatever reason, the arena works fine during the last waves, and Wave 15 could theoretically still last forever. Is this due to so many Pumpkings attacking and dying at the same time?

Last edited:
When it comes to Pumpkin Moon autofarming, the Omega Farm is a very effective way of grinding for money and gear:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...inal-wave-at-10-30pm-42-platinum-night.17682/

However, the Omega Farm is more of a late-game farm once the player has gathered a lot of resources and has all the best gear. This guide is for a Pumpkin Moon farm that is much easier to build and can be built in early hardmode as soon as the pirate NPC becomes available. It's also a farm that can be built using resources from one world only, instead of requiring one to visit multiple worlds to farm for Spear Traps. I already posted a guide to the cannonball arena previously, but this cannonball arena is much improved and the video showcases the power of the cannon a lot better.

The Cannonball Arena in Action:

I do two farming funs. In the first run I use the cannon only with mid-range gear equipped, and I manage to reach the final wave at 11:09pm since the cannon is incredibly powerful. In the second farming run I use a combination of the cannon and ravens, and reach a final wave time of 10:17pm. The good summoner gear can be obtained in the first cannonball run, so all subsequent farming runs can use ravens for better yields per night.

Schematics:

6918F51A683A3D16B36719F2CD7696B9EB4F9709

AB0198CAF1939F1C91A4E6EDDD0FD922586BE123

How the Farm Works:

The player moves to the platform at the top and pulls the lever to deactuate the dungeon spike immediately below the platform and activate the 5-second timer to begin alternating the spawn surfaces. At 7:30pm the player initiates the Pumpkin Moon and starts firing the cannon straight up by holding down the left mouse button. When the Mourning Woods arrive in wave 4, the player drops down onto the dungeon spike, whose damage will block most of the projectile and contact damage from Mourning Woods and Pumpkings. Once the night is over the player drops down to the spawn surface and hits the switch to the right, summoning a merchant to sell of excess gear (the bottom blue wire leads to a teleporter in the merchant's house).

Important dimensions:

The topmost spawn surface should be at least 36 tiles from the dungeon spike to ensure spawns. Lava has to extend at least 84 tiles to the left and right of the player position to block unwanted spawns. The spawn surface should be enclosed by side walls at least 8 tiles high to contain the Headless Horsemen during the Pumpkin moon event.

Notes:

The spawn surfaces alternate every 5 seconds to cause hearts, coins, and spooky wood to drop into the lava and get destroyed. This is necessary since the Mourning Woods will drop a ton of hearts during the entire event, and the item cap of 400 will be reached very quickly, causing some of the valuable drops to disappear.

The cannon isn't capable of critical strikes, and boosts to damage from gear have no effect on cannon damage. Warding is the best reforge on accessories.

The cannon requires around 1700 cannonballs per Pumpkin Moon event, which will cost over 2 platinum. This is worth the investment since the yield from the event will be around 20 platinum.

The player should aim for over 60 defense to minimize damage from the dungeon spike. Trash accessories can be used so that it doesn't cost very much to reforge them all to Warding, although at least one of those accessories should be the Cross Necklace. A shield should be equipped as well (a Cobalt Shield from the dungeon works perfectly fine). An Ironskin Potion can be consumed to boost defense if necessary.

Once the summoner gear is acquired, the player can follow the ideal protocol to generate the strongest minions possible and boost defense as much as possible:

Protocol for summoning the most powerful minions:

1) Put on Spooky set, Celestial Stone, Avenger Emblem, Hercules Beetle, Papyrus Scarab, Necromantic Scroll (all Menacing)
2) Drink Summon Potion (+1 minion), Wrath Potion (+10% minion damage), and eat Pumpkin Pie (+5% minion damage)
3) Summon 7 Ravens using a Ruthless Raven Staff
4) Swap in Pygmy Necklace (Menacing) for Celestial Stone and summon 8th minion
5) Swap in Tiki set for Spooky set and summon 9th minion

Extended Protocol to increase Defense:

6) Swap in a Warding Cross Necklace and a Warding Paladin Shield (or any other shield) for the Menacing Avenger Emblem and Menacing Hercules Beetle
7) Exchange Menacing versions of Papyrus Scarab, Necromantic Scroll, and Pygmy Necklace for Warding versions

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBcXZPdDVUNzEzcm8/view?usp=sharing
How come the background walls at the spawn surface don't prevent mobs from spawning?

Back
Top Bottom