[Curiousity] 'Mushroom rain' and other spontaneous drops from actuated (grass) blocks.

ZeroGravitas

The Destroyer
Some of you probably saw me post a gif about this phenomena to the sub-reddit the other day, clearly showing a glowing blue mushroom spawning and immediately popping off an actuated mushroom grass block. Taken while inspecting @PapaBear 's compact fishing complex build (first world version):
The trick is that the blocks must be at surface height or above.

Is this better known than I realised? It seems like it didn't happen in 1.2.4.1, back when I was messing around more with such things. In an old video by Hero it looks like they just grew as normal, but didn't pop off. But @HappyDays sees the same effect as me, in a video he released the same day as my Reddit post, but didn't comment (hence I wondered if it wasn't surprising, already known...?).

Anyway, this isn't a huge find. Mostly it just seems to mean that you can make a more compact blue mushroom auto-farm by simply leaving your blocks actuated. AFK it by standing underneath, adding a minecart track whatever. Only really useful for shroomite armour (and mushroom building materials). But interesting because the mushroom spawn rate will be constantly maxed out, rather than tapering off to an asymptote, as the surface space fills up with growth.

Beyond the 'shroom rain: obviously these setups drop blue mushroom grass seeds
Mushroom_Grass_Seeds.png
(which might have been helpful, if they had any use (on PC) that the blue solution couldn't cover).

It turns out jungle grass
Jungle_grass.png
will do the same trick. Not nearly as dramatically bountiful, but it will rain down the following:
Jungle_Grass_Seeds.png
jungle grass seeds,
Jungle_Rose.png
jungle roses ,
Grubby.png
Grubby,
Sluggy.png
Sluggy and
Buggy.png
Buggy. So potential AFK bait farming, although spawn rate seems pretty poor. Bushes will not appear while surface is actuated (to background), nor trees, etc, obviously. I don't know about planterra bulbs, although I would have though @DicemanX would have observed something in one of his builds if they spontaneously appeared and popped...

I've not seen anything drop from any other the other grasses:
Grass.png
regular,
Hallowed_grass.png
hallowed,
Crimson_grass.png
crimson,
Corrupt_grass.png
corrupt.

Cropper2016-02-21-04-50-18-8364944.jpg I tested big, T-Edited columns of differing row spacings, placed surface height, up to space, although testing was fairly brief. So I've probably missed something along the way. Other stuff 'grows' on various, seemingly inert block types (in hardmode, etc), and not tested any of those. Certainly seems likely that there will be other weird effects like this lurking within the game still..... :happy:

Last edited:
I don't know about planterra bulbs, although I would have though @DicemanX would have observed something in one of his builds if they spontaneously appeared and popped...

I never tried to see if bulbs can spawn on actuated jungle grass, but I do know that they can remain unbroken even if the jungle grass is actuated into the background to try to break the bulbs (they usually get destroyed when you try to deactuate the blocks).

Wouldn't matter much though, because when a bulb is destroyed it won't spawn plantera unless the player is close enough to the bulb. I once tested what the minimum distances were, but I forgot where I posted that info.

I do know that they can remain unbroken even if the jungle grass is actuated into the background
My experience is that actuating a whole bunch of jungle grass blocks will only break 1 bush per switch flip, oddly. Maybe that is when your bulbs stayed intact? I would make a slightly simpler Plantera farm, if the blocks could just stay permanently actuated, and just auto-starts (although then you need knock-back detection, etc, anyway, to know when the fights underway). Will bulbs spawn on-screen anyway? [Edit: oh, but of course they don't spawn at surface level at all, right? D'uh.]

Last edited:
I thought this was well known actually. This happens in mobile as well so it isnt related to 1.3.

Let me think... Right! The event is as follows!

All seedlings spawn as normal on actuated grass with the exception of trees (jungle) which do not spawn and cannot exist on actuated blocks.

Once spawned, the seedlings are automatically destroyed. Vines and thorns are preserved and not destroyed.

Mushrooms spawn fully grown and thus fall off naturally.

Herbs spawn in infant state and are as such destroyed upon spawning without any yield.

Dye items did not drop back then so im not sure whether they would drop as item or not spawn like trees.

Grass spawns and is destroyed automatically, spawning critters with some chance.

Jungle Bushes follow the same rule as trees and dont spawn.

Crystals... dont remember right now but i think they did spawn as well... dont remember if they fell or remained attached.

Thats about it i think...
Basically, think of the state the item spawns in and whether being destroyed inmediately drops an item. Things that prevent actuation such as trees do not spawn because their requirement is a solid block.

My experience is that actuating a whole bunch of jungle grass blocks will only break 1 bush per switch flip, oddly. Maybe that is when your bulbs stayed intact? I would make a slightly simpler Plantera farm, if the blocks could just stay permanently actuated, and just auto-starts (although then you need knock-back detection, etc, anyway, to know when the fights underway). Will bulbs spawn on-screen anyway? [Edit: oh, but of course they don't spawn at surface level at all, right? D'uh.]

Actually it was Vazilin who discovered that if you have a lot of 2x3 sized plants on a stretch of jungle grass, then actuating the ground below will not guarantee the breaking of the bulb - in fact actuating and deactuating the blocks multiple times might still have no effect.

However, if the jungle grass blocks are staggered so that no 2x3 plants can grow, it will guarantee breakage of the blub either on the actuation or the subsequent deactuation. Here's an example of how to stagger the blocks:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...osses-and-events-with-no-starting-gear.40490/

I had noticed that mushrooms were popping off the actuated mushroom grass in my fishing complex but thought that was just incidental. But, wow! I let my little actuated mushroom farm alone for an hour or two and collected almost 400 mushrooms when I came back. Not sure what I'll do with all those mushrooms but good discovery @ZeroGravitas.

I played around with a similar actuated jungle (with 3 row spacing rather than 2) but the results were a bit disappointing as the spawn rate is very low. After a couple of hours I had collected 35 jungle grass seeds, about 30 or so of the grubby, stubby, buggies and a handful of jungle roses. I did notice that I also got a single sky blue flower so apparently that dye plant can spawn on actuated blocks.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I built one of @DicemanX's old Plantera farms by hand, which was an interesting exercise in making it grow with only 60 or so seeds. I forgot to de-actuate the farm one time and left it actuated for days before going back and noticing my mistake and also that there were no Plantera bulbs. I do not think that the bulbs will appear on actuated jungle grass.

Last edited:
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I built one of @DicemanX's old Plantera farms by hand, which was an interesting exercise in making it grow with only 60 or so seeds. I forgot to de-actuate the farm one time and left it actuated for days before going back and noticing my mistake and also that there were no Plantera bulbs. I do not think that the bulbs will appear on actuated jungle grass.

Perhaps they instantly broke upon spawning? Unless you were nearby when they broke plantera wouldn't spawn. We could use free cam mode to check this out - for instance, I could record a session while AFK with the camera focused on the artificial jungle to see if any bulbs (or hearts) would spawn!

Mostly it just seems to mean that you can make a more compact blue mushroom auto-farm by simply leaving your blocks actuated.

What did you have in mind to compress the farm? I'm assuming that the mushrooms cannot grow if there are any actuated blocks directly above the surfaces - is that correct? If so, the farm sizes should be the same, and it's probably just better to go with deactuated surfaces so you don't have to collect the mushrooms before exiting your game unless you're OK with losing the drops.

What I was actually thinking of is making it into some sort of game in which you try to catch all the falling mushrooms before they fall past you. The "points" would correspond to the number of mushrooms you catch before time expires (when time expires it could automatically deactuate a ceiling and prevent any further mushrooms from falling). You could add various obstacles that need to be disabled by shooting certain critters or pulling certain levers.

I also got a single sky blue flower
Ah, I did too, but was suspicious that I fluffed it up somehow; could it be that it just spawned in quickly when you had the grass de-actuated to solid?
I do not think that the bulbs will appear on actuated jungle grass.
Yeah, my silly mistake is that the actuated blocks would have to above 0 depth for it to pop off (and be relevant to this thread) anyway, and bulbs shouldn't appear above underground. But by all means, double check around the issue!:D
We could use free cam mode to check this out

What did you have in mind to compress the farm?
I meant that the entirety of the grass surface will always be growing at full rate, seeing as no grown plants take up it's space. Hence you needn't build as much growing space, to get the same production rate. Plus you wouldn't have to keep checking back, just once before you leave game. Or have the mushrooms hoiked and dropped onto the spawn point, along with your fallen stars...
making it into some sort of game
By all means, lol. Make that mushroom harvesting more challenging! Have the ones you miss swept into the lava... :p

This is really a helpful (bug) feature in the game :D Makes farming for Shroomite armor easier

Regarding the lack of any Plantera blubs on actuated jungle grass..

Perhaps they instantly broke upon spawning? Unless you were nearby when they broke plantera wouldn't spawn. We could use free cam mode to check this out - for instance, I could record a session while AFK with the camera focused on the artificial jungle to see if any bulbs (or hearts) would spawn!

I just copied over my old farm from 1.2.4.1 days, actuated the jungle grass and then just sat there within the farm for about 6 hours. I wasn't ever attacked by Plantera during that time because (1) I didn't die and (2) there weren't any treasure bags left lying about. I had a Dragon and a Raven protecting me during this time AFK.

2n6c9cG.png

After the 6 hours I got almost 2 platinum from Dragon kills but, interestingly, not a single drop from the jungle grass-- not even many (if any) hanging vines. I think that this particular configuration of a bunch of 2-grass blocks doesn't produce anything when actuated, which isn't the case with unbroken rows of actuated jungle grass (so perhaps a Plantera bulb would spawn there?)

EDIT 8/24/2019 - Changed image so it is hosted by Imgur rather than TinyPic, which is shutting down.

Last edited:
Actuated grass blocks need to be above surface level. Should have written that in the title, sorry.

The trick is that the blocks must be at surface height or above.

I missed that from your first post. Oh, well, spawning Plantera bulbs needs to be below 0' Surface anyway. I was too low to get drops from the jungle grass and apparently Plantera bulbs don't spawn on actuated jungle grass.

Back
Top Bottom