Did I do anything wrong?

DRMAJORI

Pixel Pirate
I've been trying so hard to do fishing quests in an expert hardmode world, with pretty much all the fishing-related items (Except the ones you get from the Angler) and still not hooking a single quest fish. I think I'm in the right biomes for the quest fishes that the angler said. I can spend 3 in game days fishing non-stop and not get any quest fishes, since new quests shows up before I even get to complete the current quest. Please help, I really want the cell phone.

Well I wouldn't know the exact specifics for the number of tiles of water for a fishing spot without penalties (think its around 300 tiles of water and even less for honey) if fishing power is the issue. Do you have a the depth meter in your inventory? If so then when you go for a quest from the angler, make sure your at the depth the quest fish is located (sky, surface, underground, cavern) and the biome its in(underground forest, underground jungle, ocean, corruption/crimson, hollow). Also make sure that neither of the two evils are within range of where your fishing unless specified by the angler. PS: have a gold or platinum watch with you so you can tell when a new quest shows up(you have till 4:30AM to get the quest fish)

Could you post each of your fishing spots? They may just not be large enough and are cutting into your fishing power, causing you to roll for quest fish less often.

Make sure you're using a strong enough set of fishing equipment as well - Craft whatever your world evil's fishing rod is and use Enchanted Nightcrawlers (Worm + Fallen Star by hand) as a minimum. If the Traveling Merchant shows up with a Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole, pick one up as well to carry you up until you get the Golden Fishing Rod.

Even with every situation just right though, it's possible to just have horrible luck - I've seen friends spend six minutes fishing before getting their quest fish, while everyone around them gets it immediately.

Could you post each of your fishing spots? They may just not be large enough and are cutting into your fishing power, causing you to roll for quest fish less often.

Make sure you're using a strong enough set of fishing equipment as well - Craft whatever your world evil's fishing rod is and use Enchanted Nightcrawlers (Worm + Fallen Star by hand) as a minimum. If the Traveling Merchant shows up with a Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole, pick one up as well to carry you up until you get the Golden Fishing Rod.

Even with every situation just right though, it's possible to just have horrible luck - I've seen friends spend six minutes fishing before getting their quest fish, while everyone around them gets it immediately.
Thank you for giving me the tips.
I believe my fishing spots have enough water, I use the drill containment to dig up a pretty big hole and filled it with water buckets, and I'm pretty sure I was in the right biomes, but I could be wrong. I had the sitting duck pole, used master bait (sounds a bit wrong when you say it out loud ~:D) and both sonar and fishing potion. Like you said, it could be bad luck, and I'm just not that lucky kind of person. But before 1.3, I did not have this big of a trouble getting the quest fish, in fact, with lower equipments.

Well the only thing I can think of is that the pools of water are in-caved at the bottom or misshaped enough that the game isn't counting several tiles of water thus giving you a penalty to fishing power. I can't really explain it:dryadconfused: but the Terraria wiki does have a picture explaining what I'm talking about when you search fishing in general. Also if possible you should obtain the Fishermans Pocket Guide as it essentially tells you the amount of fishing power overall in any lakes.

Well the only thing I can think of is that the pools of water are in-caved at the bottom or misshaped enough that the game isn't counting several tiles of water thus giving you a penalty to fishing power. I can't really explain it:dryadconfused: but the Terraria wiki does have a picture explaining what I'm talking about when you search fishing in general. Also if possible you should obtain the Fishermans Pocket Guide as it essentially tells you the amount of fishing power overall in any lakes.
Thank you for your reply.
I visited the terraria fishing wiki, and the stuff on there are really helpful. And the thing is, you can only get the pocket guide through completing the fishing quests which I'm currently unable to do.

Glad it helped:dryadhappy:. Although the Pocket Guide is angler reward exclusive, I'm pretty sure renovating one of the surface lakes you use may help in getting it. PS: If you get a quest fish, take it out of your inventory so you can catch another. Storing multiple quest fish can alleviate long fishing sessions meaning faster angler rewards.

Glad it helped:dryadhappy:. Although the Pocket Guide is angler reward exclusive, I'm pretty sure renovating one of the surface lakes you use may help in getting it. PS: If you get a quest fish, take it out of your inventory so you can catch another. Storing multiple quest fish can alleviate long fishing sessions meaning faster angler rewards.
I never thought of doing that!

Back
Top Bottom