Disappointed with Expert Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight9910

Terrarian
First, it's not balanced. I wanted to start a new character in a new expert world and go through the whole thing normally... but the bosses aren't balanced. At all. Aside from the new AI all they did was double their stats. That's not how balancing works, and as a result I've hit a brick wall. The Eye and Brain were fine, but Skeletron and Wall of Flesh CAN NOT BE BEATEN on Expert, in single player, using only the equipment you can get before fighting them. Even an Unreal Minishark with meteorite bullets, Wrath Potion, Crimtane Armor, and all Menacing accessories still does so little damage you'd be lucky to get him to half health by morning, and even all Warding accessories and max 400 HP can't keep you from getting killed in 4-5 hits.

That's seriously not how balancing works. It is IMPOSSIBLE to single-play through an expert world with a fresh start... and that's not necessarily a bad thing, just... disappointing to me.

Second, there's not enough new loot. There's exactly THIRTEEN things you can get in expert that you can't get in normal... and most of them aren't very good, especially since you can't combine them with anything else so using them means sacrificing a slot that could be spent on something MUCH better. That much, to be fair, could be fixed by making them combinable with other things at the Tinker's Workshop. It would make sense if we could combine, say, the Shield of Cthulhu with the Obsidian or Ankh Shield, or the Brain of Confusion with the Panic/Sweetheart Necklace. So on and so forth.

I get having trouble with Skeletron, but wall of flesh is probably the easiest boss in the game.

Can you really say you gave it an expert short? Did you build a hellbridge, did you get a herb farm and drink potions?
Get hermes boots, a phoenix blaster, or a bees knees bow, there are so many ways to just cheese him.

This is expert mode, you're not supposed to nail it in one go, It's -EXPERT-
Expert mode has been beaten legitimately by someone who deleted their character and world after every death, It's not impossible.

...well, in the name of honesty I guess I should admit that I haven't actually tried fighting the WoFfle in Expert with a fresh character, but Skeletron is proving nigh-impossible to beat.

after you destroy Skeletron's hands he shots homing heads. if there's blocks between you and skeletron, he WON'T shoot the heads. so make a long bridge with some ceilings. when he stops spinning at you go under a ceiling and use a yoyo or something that goes thru walls, then when he starts charging at you quickly get out of the way with the shield of chtulhu

...well, in the name of honesty I guess I should admit that I haven't actually tried fighting the WoFfle in Expert with a fresh character, but Skeletron is proving nigh-impossible to beat.

Sorry if i came across rude.

This video might help you with some insight on skeletron :)

First, it's not balanced. I wanted to start a new character in a new expert world and go through the whole thing normally... but the bosses aren't balanced. At all. Aside from the new AI all they did was double their stats. That's not how balancing works, and as a result I've hit a brick wall. The Eye and Brain were fine, but Skeletron and Wall of Flesh CAN NOT BE BEATEN on Expert, in single player, using only the equipment you can get before fighting them. Even an Unreal Minishark with meteorite bullets, Wrath Potion, Crimtane Armor, and all Menacing accessories still does so little damage you'd be lucky to get him to half health by morning, and even all Warding accessories and max 400 HP can't keep you from getting killed in 4-5 hits.

That's seriously not how balancing works. It is IMPOSSIBLE to single-play through an expert world with a fresh start... and that's not necessarily a bad thing, just... disappointing to me.
Yes you can beat skeletron. Rather easily too. And then theres always the starcannon...
da13d7e34d.png

Frankly, i wayyyy overprepared for that one. (i heard hed sit ontop you while he spins during the second phase. Exaggerations.)

It just perplexes me how people still use the minishark in expert mode, atleast against skeletron. High rate of fire but low damage per hit weapons SUFFER under the increased defense, ofcourse making something die of the death of a thousand cuts is not exactly viable.

I used the bow with hellfire arrows. Did 31 damage each hit. The minishard would do maybe 2 damage per hit, even if it hits five times before i shoot a second arrow.

but Skeletron and Wall of Flesh CAN NOT BE BEATEN on Expert, in single player, using only the equipment you can get before fighting them.

I wish people would stop stating these things as if they were a fact when the only boss that killed me during the first attempt was the moon lord. But that's because I wanted it to kill me, because I couldn't be bothered to fight more after the four pillars.

Second, there's not enough new loot.

And if there were lots of new loot in Expert Mode, less skilled people would :red: all day about how they are being treated unfairly and feel left out in comparison to veterans.

Heck, that's already happened.

It just perplexes me how people still use the minishark in expert mode, atleast against skeletron. High rate of fire but low damage per hit weapons SUFFER under the increased damage, ofcourse making something die of the death of a thousand cuts is not exactly viable.

The Minishark by itself is not too great. However, paired with Shark Tooth necklace, silver bullets and later on the line Necro Armour, it's definitely a beast. Until you get the Phoenix Blaster, that is.

Second, there's not enough new loot. There's exactly THIRTEEN things you can get in expert that you can't get in normal... and most of them aren't very good, especially since you can't combine them with anything else so using them means sacrificing a slot that could be spent on something MUCH better. That much, to be fair, could be fixed by making them combinable with other things at the Tinker's Workshop. It would make sense if we could combine, say, the Shield of Cthulhu with the Obsidian or Ankh Shield, or the Brain of Confusion with the Panic/Sweetheart Necklace. So on and so forth.
Suuuure. Skeletron is impossible. *glances over at Skeletron Trophy on wall*
Wall of Flesh will be tough, but fun.
Little bit of advice, using Normal Mode strategies in Expert Mode will get you killed. Gotta adapt.

the bosses are NOT impossible, play smarter not harder, build an arena, prepare and you can and will beat them, I killed skeletron using a minecart track+ the minishark+meteorite bullets and using fossil armour, take out his hands and he becomes a squish ball (no defence) and as for wof, again I used a minecart track, and beat him solo, so no they are not impossible.

if you cant beat him using one method, try using another, there is ALWAYS a way

These bosses are difficult but they are not impossible. How much preperation have you done? There are a lot of ingame recources that you can use... are you using them? Have you went to both corruption and crismon worlds before hand? Have you done any fishing, upgrading gear, or even finding all possible gear you could use? Expert is for players that have an idea of what recources are already in the game, how to move well and how to take advantage of the game mechanics for themselves.

Maybe your simply not good enough yet?

First, it's not balanced. I wanted to start a new character in a new expert world and go through the whole thing normally... but the bosses aren't balanced. At all. Aside from the new AI all they did was double their stats. That's not how balancing works, and as a result I've hit a brick wall. The Eye and Brain were fine, but Skeletron and Wall of Flesh CAN NOT BE BEATEN on Expert, in single player, using only the equipment you can get before fighting them. Even an Unreal Minishark

You realize you can't get the unreal prefix for the minishark, because it has no knockback right?
[DOUBLEPOST=1436881717,1436881685][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't complain, you also got a really good light pet out of that treasure bag.
A light pet that is effectively useless because by the time you get it there's no point to it existing

Don't complain, you also got a really good light pet out of that treasure bag.
Can't stop me now, honey. Also tentacle is not really good since you rock a glowing armor at that point anyway.
Actually, in hindsight, most expert items are rather useless or rendered so by other items or stupid limitations, but that's a whole different topic.

There's also several problems with balancing, most notably hardmode HP doubling and "new" armor system being rendered useless by overly inflated damage numbers; but chalk up those to me being a nitpicky bastard.

You don't even need to go to hell for Skeletron, I used Bee's Knees and Beenades with a Hive Pack and Sharktooth Necklace and he went down so fast that by 10 PM I was already inside the Dungeon.

Bees are scary.

You don't even need to go to hell for Skeletron, I used Bee's Knees and Beenades with a Hive Pack and Sharktooth Necklace and he went down so fast that by 10 PM I was already inside the Dungeon.

Bees are scary.
Sharktooth necklace...... WHY DID I FORGET THIS WAS A THING! ugh I used a demonic minishark to fight expert skeletron, and the whole fight was me doing 1 point of damage per shot

Sharktooth necklace...... WHY DID I FORGET THIS WAS A THING! ugh I used a demonic minishark to fight expert skeletron, and the whole fight was me doing 1 point of damage per shot
I tried the minishark but I'm really bad at aiming, so I prefer a combination of large hitbox projectiles and homing attacks - at least for enemies like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom