Game Mechanics Do you guys think that summoner is viable after 1.4.1?

Jamm__

Terrarian
Now, summoner is my favorite class, but i need to admit that there are problems, lack of damage, low defense, not alot of accessible weapons, ai problems ect. now I think that 1.4.1 fixed some of these, for lack of damage, I think that hardmode is fine but prehardmode sucked, but now, you have the flinx staff and flinx fur coat, giving you two of them, and we cant not talk about obsidian armor, its genuinely overpowered with the damage and speed of whips, and for accessibility, the blade staff (which used to have a 2 percent drop rate) now drops from queen slime at a common rate, the pygmy staff is immediately accessible right when he arrives after the queen bee. So what do you guys think of it? I really like the changes and think that summoner is a really powerful class now.

Imo summoners have always been viable. Just gotta know how to play the class. Now in 1.4.1 summoners are very much viable, perhaps being better than the other classes.

Summoner is a much more viable class after the drop of 1.4 and especially 1.4.1. Overall I’d say its tied with Mage, slightly weaker than Ranged and slightly better than Melee. I’m not going to go in depth on it because I’ve done it a million times, but flinx gear, whip range buffs + flask compatiability, pre-hm whip autoswing and pygmy necklace and obtainability buffs etc. all go a long way.

A lot of people still don’t really understand Summoner’s ability, making assumptions based off how good the class was in like 1.3.5.

One thing Summoner does need more of is variety and more options, but that’s unrelated to the class’s viability as a whole.

Last edited:
honestly my opinion as a whole is that its been viable, and you explained it better than me lmao

Summoners isn't very viable, its not obsolite but not very strong, considering you have to grind a lot, and a lot of armor and weapons aren't as good as they should be during their point in the game (excluding terraprisma and obsidian armor because they are way too op)
I wouldn't say its viable viable, but definitely better than melee class, which i think needs some support.

despite its problems I still think that summoner is really fun, especially with whips and the challenge of dodging every attack coming at you.

(knowing i said this ima get a lot of hate combined with notis slapped in my face)
lmao
I still have gripes with the class, I had a journey mode summoner run to nullify the grinding, and the old ones army on master mode was really hard, so i switched to ranged for a bit and i obliterated it.(that run is also where my pfp is from)

lmao
I still have gripes with the class, I had a journey mode summoner run to nullify the grinding, and the old ones army on master mode was really hard, so i switched to ranged for a bit and i obliterated it.

Old One’s Army is just cheap to begin with. The enemies are too strong for just how many you have to deal with at once and the minibosses have too much health for how long you have to kill them (except Dark Mage, who you can basically ignore).

Also were you using sentries? Summoner gear naturally buffs sentries without needing to dive into tavernkeep armor and helps massively.

Old One’s Army is just cheap to begin with. The enemies are too strong for just how many you have to deal with at once and the minibosses have too much health for how long you have to kill them (except Dark Mage, who you can basically ignore).

Also were you using Sentries? Summoner gear naturally buffs sentries without needing to dive into tavernkeep armor and helps massively.
i was using sentries, I always want to beat the ooa before hardmode as it helps my wof fight, although with obsidian armor I dont think i need too.

i was using sentries, I always want to beat the ooa before hardmode as it helps my wof fight, although with obsidian armor I dont think i need too.

Yeah, resummoning ballista is kind of an outdated strategy. Spinal Tap can easily tear Wall of Flesh a new one with Obsidian Armor, even more so if you get yourself Feral Claws for autoswing. I’d argue it’s tied with necro armor + hive pack + beenades for the best way ti kill the Wall.

Yeah, resummoning ballista is kind of an outdated strategy. Spinal Tap can easily tear Wall of Flesh a new one with Obsidian Armor, even more so if you get yourself Feral Claws for autoswing. I’d argue it’s tied with necro armor + hive pack + beenades for the best way ti kill the Wall.
yeah summoning in prehardmode got improved really well, although I think that summoner is really good in all stages of the game in multiplayer, because i think that the class ranking changes a lot in multiplayer

yeah summoning in prehardmode got improved really well, although I think that summoner is really good in all stages of the game in multiplayer, because i think that the class ranking changes a lot in multiplayer

I don’t think Summoner has a real weak point anymore, except for Queen Slime and the very start of the game (pre-Flinx). For the rest of the game, it’s pretty consistently powerful, although other classes may be better at stages (Ranged for mechs, Mage for post-golem for example) Summoner is definitely able to pull its weight consistently well the entire game.

I don’t think Summoner has a real weak point anymore, except for Queen Slime and the very start of the game (pre-Flinx). For the rest of the game, it’s pretty consistently powerful, although other classes may be better at stages (Ranged for mechs, Mage for post-golem for example) Summoner is definitely able to pull its weight consistently well the entire game.
I always use a ranged weapon before i get flinx gear, shows how overpowered the class is.

I always use a ranged weapon before i get flinx gear, shows how overpowered the class is.

Yeah, as I said earlier Ranged is probably the strongest class for a lot of the game. It seems a lot of the weapons were balanced without the extra damage from ammo in mind, like the early game bows seem to be built without minding that you can get frostburn arrows for another 5 base damage over wooden, for example.

Yeah, as I said earlier Ranged is probably the strongest class for a lot of the game. It seems a lot of the weapons were balanced without the extra damage from ammo in mind, like the early game bows seem to be built without minding that you can get frostburn arrows for another 5 base damage over wooden, for example.
i think that ranged is a jack of all trades master of all class
your only semi weak trait is crowd control and the Daedalus stormbow has one of the best crowd control capabilities in the game.

i think that ranged is a jack of all trades master of all class
your only semi weak trait is crowd control and the Daedalus stormbow has one of the best crowd control capabilities in the game.
eventide with most arrows, choropthye and luminite and wooden and holy
tsunami with holy

Back
Top Bottom