Do you think that Terraria is dying?

Is Terraria dying?

• Yes

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 86.5%

• Total voters
Back in 1.1.1, when we all thought Terraria had posted its final update (and it had been this way for a long time), there were still numerous PvP/freebuild servers with a loyal following. Terraria is the type of game whose fanbase does not die out. As a non-linear, creative sandbox game with enormous replayability, it has always been known as one of the best returns for $10 around, so final update or not, I think we have little to worry about.

You know, I prefer having good Terraria updates rather a new game that "look like" Terraria, (even if T:OW would have been a cool game)
In my opinion it won't die as it has infinite possibilities of gaming ! And many Mods are developing which helps the game a lot !
I am not leaving this game <3

Back in 1.1.1, when we all thought Terraria had posted its final update (and it had been this way for a long time), there were still numerous PvP/freebuild servers with a loyal following. Terraria is the type of game whose fanbase does not die out. As a non-linear, creative sandbox game with enormous replayability, it has always been known as one of the best returns for $10 around, so final update or not, I think we have little to worry about.

Yeah, but the fanbase I think has decreased since the release of 1.3.

So when 1.4 does roll around, if the fanbase is small enough, it will be the final update.

I'm pretty sure the final update is rapidly approaching. The updates are great and all, but they don't do enough to bring enough players to make up for the ones leaving. And with T:OW being cancelled, I'm already seeing a lot of people here, on Twitter and Facebook, even in fan groups, saying their goodbyes. I wouldn't doubt it if 1.3.6 will be the final one.

That being said, I don't want to be misunderstood, so I'll make this clear: I love Terraria and hope it keeps going strong. I look forward to whatever Re-Logic does next, and I still have high hopes for a "Terraria 2" or spiritual successor. But the player drop off lately has been pretty high and a lot of people were still waiting for T:OW news as pretty much the only thing that kept them around. Sad to see, but for me personally, Imma keep grinding away to take down Moonlord over and over.

They'll have to make 1.4 be the same kind of update that 1.3 was. Unfortunatly they have said that moon lord will be the final boss which may ultimately be the downfall.
[doublepost=1523664595,1523664365][/doublepost]I feel like it's been way to long since 1.3.5 with no 1.3.6 though, so I do feel they have planned something great for us.

I gotta say, the votes are encouraging so far. A game survives as long as it's community, and the community is standing behind this game quite a bit. Makes me happy cause dang it I'm done with this game yet lol

Not even close to dying, we have a huge modding community and servers too... And the update isnt that far away, either!

If by 'dying', you mean that Terraria's playerbase is going to vanish, then no: Terraria consistently hits high player counts, and has been for years. Terraria is at no danger of dying, and the news about T:OW is unlikely to change that.

If by 'dying' you mean the final update is near, then personally, yes, I think it is, but 'dying' is the last term I'd use to describe it. Terraria is not in beta: as far as I'm concerned, every version since 1.1 could have been considered a complete and finished game (and the only reason I don't include 1.0 in that range is because I never played it) for all means and purposes. To call a game that is no longer updated because it is in a place where it no longer needs to be a 'dead' game makes no sense to me.

Terraria may be dying in popularity, but us people in the forums and the actual fan base will most likely stay around for quite a long time.

Yeah, but the fanbase I think has decreased since the release of 1.3.

So when 1.4 does roll around, if the fanbase is small enough, it will be the final update.

Popularity for a game rises and falls. When new content is released, you'll see an influx of players returning to play Terraria. When updates begin to slow down, the playerbase dwindles. This happens for every game over time.

I don't think Terraria is dead or dying (I wonder why these are such buzzwords). People will come and go. Having almost 30,000 people play the game on a daily basis from Steam alone is actually rather impressive - most indie and even major titles hope to achieve something like that years after it's been released.

Terraria is my most played game on Steam, and I haven't seriously delved into it since the last update. Other games are released that catch my attention, and I want time to play them, too. That doesn't mean I won't ever return to it for casual fun in the future, as I have done many times in the past.

Personally, I think it's timeless. It's a game I've come back to so many times over the years, which is something I only ever do for games made 20+ years ago.

Never!!! I would still be playing terraria if it was stuck in 1.1!!!!!

EDIT: well, maybe not, but still! Terraria will never die!

Terraria dying? That sounds like an unloving Shiloh Shepherd (IMPOSSIBLE). For me, Terraria's deathbed is many more updates (bug fixes or not) off.
Terraria is awesome!

In terms of updates, yes Terraria is kinda dying, but for a game as packed and filled with content as this there's just so much you can cram in until you just cant anymore.

But in terms of players? We still have a rather consistent and high player count on Steam and whenever you mention is still placed in high regard. What we are losing is exposure, there's just not much to say about Terraria right now that hasn't been done a year ago not to mention Terraria is a REALLY old game. In comparison Terraria on average gets a higher playercount than Starbound, Stardew Valley and Raft. All of which are much newer, have massive popularity due to it being fresh and an influx of new content creators and youtubers giving it exposure online. Some day Terraria might die but it ain't gonna be anywhere soon.

I think a game like Terraria is too unique to ever die. There aren't many games where you get the freedom to explore a world, dig, hunt for items, build almost anything you like, feature a nice combat system with lots of weapons, have epic boss fights, fool around, and have great multiplayer fun. Although there are games that tried (and failed).
I think Re-Logic did everything just right for the game to be so popular, gameplay, graphics, music, the whole package. If they do eventually create a new Terraria, I think they'll have a huge challenge on their hands to make it an even better experience.

So, no, I don't think this game will die anytime soon. For as long as it'll run on future operating systems, people will keep playing it.

Back
Top Bottom