Does anyone use the right shift key?

Do you?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Neigh.

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Idk, just something random to ask. Broke it last weekend playing Geometry dash. I never used it in my life, other than playing Captain Claw, a 1999 game.

Looking at my work keyboard right now, the right Shift key has lost most of its writing and is pretty badly smudged. The left Shift key has only a slight marking on it and the writing is undamaged. I noticed that while typing this response, I only used the right Shift key. Either it's right hand presses Shift and left hand enters a key (e.g. S) or right hand's fingers can access both Shift and the key (e.g. I).

Left Shift key is used for highlighting text via the keyboard and for gaming. Obviously I don't do gaming at work. (Lies!)

Then again, I am a programmer and most of our important keys -- ( ) { } + " -- are located near the right Shift key. So it probably depends on your keyboard fluency, layout and usage.

Then again, I am a programmer and most of our important keys -- ( ) { } + " -- are located near the right Shift key. So it probably depends on your keyboard fluency, layout and usage.
Oh right!
Now I remember, I actually use Right-shift a lot!
I just don't think about it while typing, but I'm actually using it for almost everything.
Right shift for 'Enter' , '()','{}', and almost every capital.

in fact, I think I'm only using L-shift when I'm gaming, lol.

I never use the right shift/alt/ctrl keys. Coding, writing, gaming, etc, I always use the left-side keys, even when typing the thousands of {}, (), "", <>, ?, _, +, and | characters that I must type in any given month. Same thing when copy/pasting things as my right hand is on the mouse. I'm an avid user of the home row and while the left shift is directly adjacent to the A key, the right shift requires arching my pinkie over the quote key to reach. Thinking back, I may have used the right side keys when playing Doom or Wolfenstein, but that was so long ago I can't be sure.

What sigma said about programming, also I use it for binds. I use pretty much every key on my keyboard no matter what I do. I even got a gaming keyboard that gives me 20 more key bind slots.

As an added bonus, the numpad is less than a hand's width away.

Last edited:
WAIT THERE'S A RIGHT SHIFT KEY.
error 472 please restart your mind.
rebooting
rebooting
Succesfully restarted your mind.
I NEVER KNEW THAT WHAT
I guess I never noticed that... interesting.
I think it's because once I knew where the enter button was I never really looked at it again and could use it without loooking really

My right Shift key is the shiniest key on my keyboard. It never gets used.
Even the right Control and Alt key are sometimes touched when doing a Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I feel sad for that Shift key now. Although at least it has a distant friend called Scroll Lock.

Even the right Control and Alt key are sometimes touched when doing a Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I feel sad for that Shift key now. Although at least it has a distant friend called Scroll Lock.
WAIT RIGHT ALT AND CTRL KEYS????????? WTF IS SCROLL LOCK??????? AAAAAAHHHHHH
RED ALERT RED ALERT SELF DESTRUCT HAS BEEN ACTIVATED MIND WILL BLOW IN 10 MINUTES.

Haven't done much programming, but even in what little I did I never used RShift. Can't think of any games I've played where I use it either.

Although it's still probably used more than that one number pad on the far right of my keyboard.

Who uses the right shift key? #lefttwix

Attachments

• 0ecdaebf65950ae8b6dac761c38f2fce_400x400.jpeg
    0ecdaebf65950ae8b6dac761c38f2fce_400x400.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 187

Agreed #lefttwix

Back
Top Bottom