Does Lava count as a trap for the sake of statue farming?

ShadowTiger

Duke Fishron
(Thank you for moving the topic here! ^_^ )
Basically, I'm trying to farm (badly) for the Money Trough because I wimped out and am not playing in Expert mode this time. I have a pair of Blood Zombie statues that are quickly and enthusiastically dropping into a very thin layer of lava immediately beneath the statue.

According to the Wiki about it, Blood Zombies from a Statue do not drop items when killed by a trap. I did a Ctrl-F for "lava" on the trap page and didn't see any. But hey, it doesn't mean it's not true.

I know it says they have a factor of 20 chance less to drop items even in the usual tiny chance to drop the Money Trough, but I just let it sit for a full day while farming it automatically and it didn't drop. I have a glass background for a massive amount of tiles in an direction so I know there's no other enemies spawning, not that it matters.

Last edited:
Specifically, the code checks for 'player interaction'. So if a Blood Zombie dies without being affected by a player, which does include being killed by lava or, say, hit by a Falling Star, it prevents them from dropping anything. This for instance is also why enemies killed by lava no longer count towards Tally Counter kills.

I know this is an old :red: post, but in case it helps anyone looking for it: I would recommend as many minions as you can summon combined with a line of lava for the quickest kills

I know this is an old :red: post, but in case it helps anyone looking for it: I would recommend as many minions as you can summon combined with a line of lava for the quickest kills
This. Using the Blade Staff or Sanguine Staff might be the most optimal at that point. I don't think there's any Pre-HM Minions that fly through blocks, so putting a physical minion like Slime Staff or Vampire Frog in a box with statues could also work, as long as they don't fly back to you.

I was about to say that the wiki does clarify lava doesn't work, then I saw that this post actually is rather old, okay.

Fallen stars count as player interaction, actually, and will register kills for tally counter and bestiary. And yeah, for prehardmode statue farming I'd highly recommend Vampire Frog as they can be boxed and kill large numbers of statue enemies for you. You can even statue farm several different enemies at once by lining up all their statues, letting you, say, farm feathers/fins/gladiator armor/gel/stingers all at once.

Back
Top Bottom