Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Controller (please specify type)
Whenever I press the dpad button I want for the item shortcut, the item flickers briefly in the slot but won't stay there. If I play on tModLoader (v1.3.5.3) the dpad hotbar works correctly, but on both the official Terraria client (v1.4.3.6) and alpha tModLoader (v1.4.3.6) this problem persists. This is using an XBox 360 controller. I have tested the controller and used another to rule out the controller being faulty.

Hi, i have the same problem.

Steam, windows 10, vanilla 1.4.3.6

I'm using a ps4 controller, checked the correct options in settings for the dpad symbol to be present in the menu. The image flickers in the assigned dpad slot then disappears and doesn't stay assigned.

Also how do you open the beastiary only using the controller?

And is there any way to move the character using the controller when the inventory is open? The key bindings would indicate it's a possibility.

Ta.

Edit: Finbar64 - I have found a cheap work round, if you select the item you want to assign to hot bar then press the dpad direction at exactly the same time you place the item back in its inventory slot, the item will bind, sometimes it takes a few seconds of button mashing for it to work.

Last edited:
Cheers CP566, that's a good work around! I haven't figured out how to open the bestiary with the controller either and I don't think it's possible to move with the inventory open unfortunately. The best I've managed is clicking in on the right thumbstick which allows you to hold and use items from the inventory, but as soon as you cancel using that item it goes back to not being able to move again.

ok this seems to be common problem
found another thread too

Trying to place items on the d-pad hotbar just makes them flicker for a second and disappear

Credit to neonkanto for this gif from that thread: I'm also using a PS4 controller and this is exactly the same issue i'm having.

Hi, i have the same problem.

Steam, windows 10, vanilla 1.4.3.6

I'm using a ps4 controller, checked the correct options in settings for the dpad symbol to be present in the menu. The image flickers in the assigned dpad slot then disappears and doesn't stay assigned.

Also how do you open the beastiary only using the controller?

And is there any way to move the character using the controller when the inventory is open? The key bindings would indicate it's a possibility.

Ta.

Edit: Finbar64 - I have found a cheap work round, if you select the item you want to assign to hot bar then press the dpad direction at exactly the same time you place the item back in its inventory slot, the item will bind, sometimes it takes a few seconds of button mashing for it to work.
I have absolutely no idea what you had to have been doing to figure that out, but god alive thank you! That's been making the game damn near unplayable for me for ages now, cause I use that function literally all the time. Again, thank you! -C×C.

Necro thread needs bump. My friend and I were playing together, he's on a Windows laptop and I'm on my Steam Deck. We both experienced this behavior this week.

I've reproduced this issue and we are going to try to look into it for one of the hotfixes after 1.4.4 :)

Back
Top Bottom