NPCs & Enemies - Dream Seeker - Secret Boss That Appears When Sleeping.

Rexsilion26

Terrarian
I had this idea yesterday, right before I went to sleep.
This is a Secret Boss that is summoned by sleeping in a bed under certain conditions.
-
Let’s look at this idea in more detail below.

- Dream Seeker -

- About the Boss -

The Dream Seeker is a being that hunts those who invade the world of dreams.
It has an abstract form, something surreal only seen in dreams.

-
_2b02e309-1e09-441a-89b8-c189b5051064.jpeg

Made with AI

- About His Invocation -

After the spirits of light and darkness are released (Enter Hardmode), the Dream Seeker will have access to the physical world.
If you don't want to disturb him, avoid sleeping for more than 5 consecutive days.
-
If the player sleeps with
Any Well-fed Effect, the boss will spawn in 1 minute instead of 5 in-game days.

- About His Fight -

The Dream Seeker is a boss available from the beginning of Hardmode, however, that doesn't mean it's easy to beat.
He is an enemy with great power, and it is unlikely that you will beat him before the Mechanical Bosses.
-

His Abilities Are:

The boss moves by flying, similar to the movement of the Empress of Light.
-
He shoots 3 types of projectiles and 1 beam similar to the Moon Lord's one, but weaker.
-
He can make hallucinations of himself, similar to Brain of Chuthulu.
-
He can summon creatures from your nightmares to attack you.
These creatures would be quite strong, the best thing would be to avoid him summoning them.
To do this, you must break the portals he opened before any creature emerges from inside.
-
He can also charge against the player.

- Damage & Health -

I don't know how to balance these things, so I'll just say that my idea is for him to have stats that are 10% higher than Duke Fishroom's.

- About the Boss Loot -

The boss will have 5 drops, a weapon from each class and an accessory.
They are the following:

1 - Eternal Rest

Sword with 140 damage and great speed.
Has the
First Fractal discarded sword skill.

2 - Awakening Sender

Bow with 120 damage and high speed that causes arrows fired to pass through blocks.
(In case that is too OP, the bow would simply launch a Dream Arrow every 5 shots)

3 - Dream Eater Staff

Majic staff that launches a large number of remote-directed projectiles that deal 100 damage.
(Works like the Magic Missile, but by holding left click it will launch projectiles like a machine gun)

4 - Nightmare Evoker

Summons beings from your dreams that deal 80 damage to fight for you.
There would be several variations of these summons and they would come out randomly.

5 - S.L.E.E.P (Expert Drop)

Accessory that allows the user to speed up time twice as fast using the beds (twice what the beds offer).
It also prevents Dream Seeker from being summoned.
Allows you to sleep during events like Eclipse.

In addition to these drops, the boss would also have his trophy and statue, as well as his pet and any other drops that all bosses generally have.

Note: The names are very basic, I know. I couldn't think of anything better, I hear suggestions!

Well, that's my idea.
Comment your opinion!

Last edited:
But how does this boss fight? When are you supposed to face him in progression? What does it look like? What do the drops look like? Also, how exactly do you summon the boss? Is it by spending five in-game days in bed? Because that would make this boss hell to farm. Every attempt would take at least 25 minutes.

This idea is very undercooked. You need to supply more details.

But how does this boss fight? When are you supposed to face him in progression? What does it look like? What do the drops look like? Also, how exactly do you summon the boss? Is it by spending five in-game days in bed? Because that would make this boss hell to farm. Every attempt would take at least 25 minutes.

This idea is very undercooked. You need to supply more details.
I can't describe a battle, I don't have the necessary understanding of it.
-
In terms of progression, it would be recommended to face him after the mechanical bosses.
But nothing stops you from facing him from the beginning of Hardmode.
-
The boss has an abstract appearance, as said in the post.
I'm not good at doing pixel art, so I decided not to make a sprite.
The same applies to the drops.
-
It would really be a problem if we had to lie in bed for 5 days every time we wanted to face it.
Perhaps the waiting time could be reduced if the player sleeps with the well-fed effect.
So the boss will spawn in 1 minute instead of 5 game days.

I have suggestions for the name, "dream this" and "dream that" sounds lazy

Dream Eater Staff (Sum Weapon)

Nightmare Evoker (Magic Weapon)

The Heaviest Sleeper (A Hammer, Melee Weapon)

Awakening Sender (Range Weapon)

S.L.E.E.P (Sleep Like Everything Ends Promptly) (Accessory)

S.L.E.E.P's description: "Big and Bigger, Biggest Dreamer!"

I have suggestions for the name, "dream this" and "dream that" sounds lazy

Dream Eater Staff (Sum Weapon)

Nightmare Evoker (Magic Weapon)

The Heaviest Sleeper (A Hammer, Melee Weapon)

Awakening Sender (Range Weapon)

S.L.E.E.P (Sleep Like Everything Ends Promptly) (Accessory)

S.L.E.E.P's description: "Big and Bigger, Biggest Dreamer!"
I liked it!
I'll edit the post adding your suggestion, if you have any problems with that, just let me know.

No problem! This is your suggestion post, I'm just giving you some ideas!

I just have more ideas

The Nightmare Evoker attacks are like the Nightglow, but with more range and less damage, is like "Nightmare purchasing enemies"

The Heaviest Sleeper can do damage to a random enemy when hit an enemies, the hammer is attacking their minds

Awakening Sender arrows could act like Chlorophyte Bullets

Dream Eater Minion could be attack like the Blade Staff, but instead of ignore defense, it heals you (a reference to Dream Eater Move from PKM)

S.L.E.E.P. could give you bonuses when you sleep, more you sleep, more bonuses you obtain, if you sleep an entire day you obtain a endless buff until die or put off (I'm not remember the word) the accessory

Last edited:
First impressions, the damage stats are a bit wacky.

300 damage for contact damage is a lot. For reference, the destroyer head does 420 contact damage in master, which is supposed to be something that you barely ever get hit by. Phantasmal death ray in expert mode does 300, another attack intended to do massive chunks of damage. Giving this 300 contact damage is a lot when you compare it to other contact damage values, especially when the 300 damage isnt specified on which difficulty that damage is being dealt out.

Another damage stat that sticks out is 500 damage on the charge. Very few enemies do this much damage, to the point where ML death ray does 50 less damage than this. The fact that this is just a generic attack and not a "super attack" per se, along with the fact that this boss is intended for post mech, means that the damage stats are massively inflated for those 2 attacks.

As for other stuff, I can't really critique it since you didn't give much information aside from the name of the attacks and the drops.

First impressions, the damage stats are a bit wacky.

300 damage for contact damage is a lot. For reference, the destroyer head does 420 contact damage in master, which is supposed to be something that you barely ever get hit by. Phantasmal death ray in expert mode does 300, another attack intended to do massive chunks of damage. Giving this 300 contact damage is a lot when you compare it to other contact damage values, especially when the 300 damage isnt specified on which difficulty that damage is being dealt out.

Another damage stat that sticks out is 500 damage on the charge. Very few enemies do this much damage, to the point where ML death ray does 50 less damage than this. The fact that this is just a generic attack and not a "super attack" per se, along with the fact that this boss is intended for post mech, means that the damage stats are massively inflated for those 2 attacks.

As for other stuff, I can't really critique it since you didn't give much information aside from the name of the attacks and the drops.
Thank you for letting me know. I don't really know much about balancing.
Generally I wouldn't even put stats, but people always end up asking, so I put some value that I think might be ok.
I based it on Dule Fishroom's stats, simply increasing them.

I love general idea of a nightmare boss but I have a few suggestions

1.maybe he could summon real enemies not illusions, would make a fight kinda unique as for now only cultist summons strong enemies, rest of the bosses just summon very weak and forgatable minions
This would still fit into whole idea of a boss as physical manifestation of dream

2. The dmg of the weapons should be adjusted to reasonably fit into meta, can't give exact values as it would require a lot of testing, I don't have time for this now

3. This is a personal one, I'd like him to drop a whip, as main summoner item, we can never have enough of these (yes i know that more is coming in the update, i still hold this point)
Could be called something like 'eternal rest' and apply some nasty debuff that lowers defence as you know making enemies defenceles on account of their nightmares manifesting for them

Back
Top Bottom