Items EDIT: Make Strange Plants More Common

Flubman

Terrarian
Making Strange Plants HM-exclusive has proven to be one of the least-popular Journey's End changes. Strange Plants are fun to collect, and they're tied to what is arguably the Dye Trader's main function: selling special dyes. They also look neat and are fun to play fashion with. But with the aforementioned change, players can only participate in this for roughly half the game, which isn't enough time to easily collect enough plants to see all the dyes. I understand this change was made to prevent players from selling the dyes and breaking PHM's economy, but I think a better solution is to simply lower the sell value of special dyes. I don't think this will hurt HM's economy, either, because, from my experience, players generally don't like to see special dyes because they're cool and hard to replace.

What do other people think?

EDIT: I'm a moron. Apparently, the real reason that this change was made is because people were using special dyes and ONLY special dyes. It was also done to enhance the game's progression by adding progression to vanity. I sympathize with these reasons, so I'm not gonna argue against them. HOWEVER, I still think that there are too many dyes to collect and not enough time to collect them. To remedy this, I propose making Strange Plants more common.

EDIT 2: If making Strange Plant more common would hurt the economy, I'd say that players would accept a sell value decrease if that meant being able to get more special dyes.

Last edited:
I've seen this suggestion a few times already, and I threw in my support each time. And I'll do it again.
The plants themselves are also just nice decorations, and there's enough of that locked behind hardmode already (I'm saying this as the person who needed so many hardmode blocks for a prehardmode building project that I had to start a second run that rushed to post-moon lord just to be able to access all of those blocks...).

EDIT: I'm a moron. Apparently, the real reason that this change was made is because people were using special dyes and ONLY special dyes. It was also done to enhance the game's progression by adding progression to vanity. I sympathize with these reasons, so I'm not gonna argue against them. HOWEVER, I still think that there are too many dyes to collect and not enough time to collect them. To remedy this, I propose making Strange Plants more common.
People use special dyes? Honestly I think most of them look weird... I usually hunt down squids in the ocean for Black dye. LOL

True though, I feel like I don't see strange plants nearly as often after the HM change.

I suggest that you add many more types of strange plants, matching the amount of special dyes you can get from the dye trader. The different special plants grow in different biomes and places. Every day (unlimited amount since the dye trader is not snarky like the angler) you can ask for a quest of the dye trader. If you get the specific strange plant, you will get that color. Quests shall reset eight times per day, so you do not have to hunt all the time for strange plants and can wait till he wants to give you for previous collected strange plants the needed dye. Unlike the angler you may hold with no limit strange plants in your inventory.

Back
Top Bottom