Portfolio/Multi-Topic Encyclopaedia Terraria: Central Thread Hub

Crashtronaut

Terrarian
image.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT AGAIN
*crash* *boom* -well, here we go.

Great, now I'm stuck here with all of these freaks, I'm not-

Oh, uhh, hi! I'm CRASHTRONAUT, and I bring great knowledge from far stars. Secrets of the universe anyone? Oh god please don't eat me just take the book

<end pointless sketch>

One of the things that I enjoy most about Terraria is it's rich mixture of fantasy, technology, and the ambiguous "backstory" of the bosses, Corruption/Crimson, and many other things.

The forums have produced a lot of cool literature about terraria, but what about this:

An optional, In-game item, to give players insight into the mysteries of terraria's items, without breaking the ambiguity of the overarching "story". (Leave it for the writers we have here :) )

ladies, Gentlemen, Paladins, Forest Spirits, and all residents of Terraria, I present to you;

ENCYCLOPAEDIA TERRARIA
image.jpg

*Sprite credit to @Pinelord , transparent version coming soon.​

I cannot decide how it will be found, so here are five possibilities. (All are subject to change, and alternate methods will be considered)

It could be found by fishing as "junk" (only in small pools of water, with a 1/100 chance
It could be dropped from an enemy. Example:

Skeletal Scribe
image.jpg

(Sprite courtesy of @Pinelord )

Spawns uncommonly in the dungeon (think mother slime)

Caster enemy, looks like a skeleton with a book in hand (possibly robe?)

32 dmg- fires non-piercing books that bounce once

120 max life,
100% KB resist
5 defense

Drops:
Encyclopaedia Terraria:
1/40 (2.5%)

Books:
2-5, 100% chance.
In case you needed more books:p
it could be crafted with
1 book,
1 soul of light,
1 soul of night
3 cursed flames/ichor
3 crystal shards

At a bookshelf
(This also gates it until hardmode)
It could be dropped by the wall of flesh (or wall of shadow, wall of steel, lol)

garunteed on the first kill, along with one of the emblems or weapons, and after has a 1/15 chance to drop

This method assumes that WOF drop rates, loot tables, and mechanics are not changed in any way in 1.3
it would be dropped from the WOF with a relatively low drop chance (think 1/50, a la the binoculars.

4a or 4b? Depends on how useful/overpowered the information within turns out to be.
FUNCTION: A.K.A. hooo boy here come the fiddly bits

When used, a interface resembling an open page will open, (Taking up the vast majority of the screen)
And a message would quickly be written in cursive,(over about 1 second)

"Of what do you wish to learn?"

Below this is a search bar, where anything could be typed in, some examples include:

"Corruption"
"Jungle Spores"
"Spell Tome"
"Eye of Cthulhu"
"Chaos Elemental"
"Dirt Block"
"Broken Hero Sword"
Etc. infinum

The page would be covered with terra-green runes for a moment (fade in, fade out) then the page featuring the searched topic would appear. (If a nonexistent item or misspelled word is searched, then the tunes turn red before fading, and the cursive tells you:
"that does not in exist in the parameters of the known universe")

This uses a direct search bar instead of tabs or sections because it is more specific and less cluttered. Most importantly however, is that it stops players from searching for details on items that they have never seen or heard of from their guide (he is still relevant you see :happy:)

You are a Budding Terrarian.
This means that if you give iron to your guide, and it shows a recipe involving something called a "soul of night"

"huh, what is this, 'sounds magical and cool!"

So you open up your Encyclopaedia, and ask to learn about the souls. You learn of the powerful creatures of evil, deep below the corruption, and of a guardian deeper still that keeps these powerful materials shut away.

"But crashtronaut, is this just a glorified wiki? You have not even showed us how the contents of the book are useful or add to the lore of terraria!"

HUSH YOU BARBARIAN
-I mean, have patience forum-goer, for I will share my ideas for item descriptions shortly, in subsequent posts.

As there are a preposterous amount of items, monsters, bosses, blocks, equipment units, and biomes in terraria, it will take a long-:red: time to make cool and/or helpful descriptions for all of them. I will make a reserved post for each of the aforementioned categories and I will add more descriptions as often as I can.

Please leave feedback, as this is a large, complicated, and ultimately useless idea, and I would like to know how to improve it, my style of
Suggestion, and overall ability to make interesting content.

I leave you the book and my ship. I hope that you like at least one of them.
image.jpg

Last edited:
(Reserved for enemies/NPCs)

Should I simply create posts throughout this thread to edit, or make new threads for each section and make this thread a hub? (I.E. Encyclopaedia terraria, <bosses> as a separate thread)

another alternative method to obtain could be to make it a wall of flesh drop. that also gates it for hardmode :p

it's definitely a neat idea, i know that there's another thread somewhere on the forum about something like this. i strongly feel that it would be a very helpful addition to be honest. as it stands, i find myself harassing the guide endlessly for crafting recipes, but wouldn't it be great to include more information than just "how it's made"? i'd love to have access to something that contains a "beastiary" (listing of monsters, their locations and their loot drops), and so on. in a nutshell, you have my support.

another alternative method to obtain could be to make it a wall of flesh drop. that also gates it for hardmode :p

it's definitely a neat idea, i know that there's another thread somewhere on the forum about something like this. i strongly feel that it would be a very helpful addition to be honest. as it stands, i find myself harassing the guide endlessly for crafting recipes, but wouldn't it be great to include more information than just "how it's made"? i'd love to have access to something that contains a "beastiary" (listing of monsters, their locations and their loot drops), and so on. in a nutshell, you have my support.
Thanks very much, that is the exact reaction I was hoping for :D

I have a lot of ideas for actual "page" content, so I'm glad that you like the basic idea

I'll add the WOF drop option to the main post, seems like a good way to gate it until hardmode. (100% drop first kill I think, I'd hate to grind it even more)

You did it!

I love the idea of an encyclopaedia of all items, blocks, enemies, etc. in Terraria. It fulfils my completionist desires.

While it can list everything in the game, I don't think the player should be able to see details until they've gotten it. E.g. Enemy stats not filled in until at least one of that enemy has been defeated, blocks / items don't have details until the player has had at least one in their inventory. Torture me with a percentage bar showing how many entries are filled! :)

But it could still say how to get it / where to find it / how to make it (as applicable) before it's found.

You did it!

I love the idea of an encyclopaedia of all items, blocks, enemies, etc. in Terraria. It fulfils my completionist desires.

While it can list everything in the game, I don't think the player should be able to see details until they've gotten it. E.g. Enemy stats not filled in until at least one of that enemy has been defeated, blocks / items don't have details until the player has had at least one in their inventory. Torture me with a percentage bar showing how many entries are filled! :)

But it could still say how to get it / where to find it / how to make it (as applicable) before it's found.
Thanks! Once again impeccable criticism.

Love the percentage bar idea, will add to main post :)

I like the idea of it giving you more information once you have actually encountered something (you have walked into the hardmode crimson, it gives you all available information; you can search "missile launcher" and have it only give a basic description and a hint to the dungeon, then stats and more lore when obtained; search corruptor and it gives 1-2 sentences description, slay one and you learn lore and stats

Thanks @Sigma90 , couldn't have done it without you

Last edited:
Yes, I am a barbarian, I admit it (but I very good looking one :dryadwink:). This is actually not as bad a idea as you think it is. This would allow people to not rely on the wiki so much. Support!

Thanks everybody, I'll add/modify according to your suggestions tomorrow.

I will also begin work on the actual entries, and request that this thread be moved to "portfolios" to serve as a hub for the separate threads.

I hope to publish the basic "items" thread within the next couple of days, to kind of stretch my legs when engaging in all of the lorecrafting that I will be doing in the near future for bosses, weapons, etc.

I will also add a poll to this thread if possible :happy:

Soon you will be able to open the first few pages of the encyclopaedia terraria.

Last edited:
This is amazing! I like the idea of the Skeletal Scribe, but I also like the Wall of Flesh idea (due to his association with the Scribe). As for the entries, I think you should have a main post for each category, with a link to it from here. For example, Bosses, Weapons, NPCs, Critters, Ores, Fish, etc.

This is amazing! I like the idea of the Skeletal Scribe, but I also like the Wall of Flesh idea (due to his association with the Scribe). As for the entries, I think you should have a main post for each category, with a link to it from here. For example, Bosses, Weapons, NPCs, Critters, Ores, Fish, etc.
Thanks for the feedback! I am going away for about a week with no internet access so the first one will have to wait a bit longer than expected.

Back
Top Bottom