Switch Enemies spawning in base.

Amanita-Kamui

Terrarian
I've played mostly on PC and i had no problems preventing enemies spawning where i didn't want them. On Switch however they do spawn in my base when it's out of my vision, this limits how big my base can be and i'm forced to build small bases that i can see everything inside my base even if i'm in a corner of the base. Bug or feature? Will this be fixed in 1.4?

I've played mostly on PC and i had no problems preventing enemies spawning where i didn't want them. On Switch however they do spawn in my base when it's out of my vision, this limits how big my base can be and i'm forced to build small bases that i can see everything inside my base even if i'm in a corner of the base. Bug or feature? Will this be fixed in 1.4?
when you say inside base, do you mean like inside a house?
did you light up the area around the base? An area with lots of light usually make the spawn rate of monsters much less.

Inside a house = surrounded by blocks, background with walls. I also have npc's in one of the bases where i had enemies spawn.

First picture they spawned where i'm standing.
Second picture they spawn often on the sides (bottom floor where i have lava, only Demon eye's, and had a zombie spawn in the middle of the pyramid/base too.

I have lightsources around the first picture, i have never read that lightsources decrease spawnrate? I've only read that NPC, Peace Candle, Sunflower and where you build the base affect the spawn rates.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
Inside a house = surrounded by blocks, background with walls. I also have npc's in one of the bases where i had enemies spawn.

First picture they spawned where i'm standing.
Second picture they spawn often on the sides (bottom floor where i have lava, only Demon eye's, and had a zombie spawn in the middle of the pyramid/base too.

I have lightsources around the first picture, i have never read that lightsources decrease spawnrate? I've only read that NPC, Peace Candle, Sunflower and where you build the base affect the spawn rates.

View attachment 338100
View attachment 338101
Hi there @Amanita-Kamui welcome to the forums. :)

Enemies can't spawn in front of player-placed back walls. But looking at your pictures there looks to be many spots surrounding your base that would still allow enemies to spawn. I think it's more likely that they are spawning like normal (in front of no walls, or in front of walls that were not placed by the player) and then walking into your base.

An area with lots of light usually make the spawn rate of monsters much less.
No, lights don't affect enemy spawn rate in Terraria. That may be something in Minecraft that exists and people confuse that with Terraria. `:)

Hello and thank you.

Yes they can spawn outside my base but how does that explain them being inside? Maybe in first pic they spawned because where the railroad is there are toggled red-wire blocks and the bottom part isnt blocked, but the enemy was 1 story down.

Second pic they were in the middle and the walls are completely blocked (red wire too). Where the railroads are i have doors in between so they would've spawned in that little room of that was the issue but they did not.

Hello and thank you.

Yes they can spawn outside my base but how does that explain them being inside? Maybe in first pic they spawned because where the railroad is there are toggled red-wire blocks and the bottom part isnt blocked, but the enemy was 1 story down.

Second pic they were in the middle and the walls are completely blocked (red wire too). Where the railroads are i have doors in between so they would've spawned in that little room of that was the issue but they did not.
Where you have the empty space to account for the minecart track, I would imagine that enemies, especially slimes or demon eyes would hoik through there and then just go down platforms within your base.

It was a zombie in the surface base and a skeleton in the caverns base. The door would be open from the railroad tracks in the caverns base if the skeleton spawned there and opened it (if they can? still the door was closed when i saw him) but he was in the middle of the building where i have player-placed walls. I still see no reason for them spawning except that they CAN spawn in front of player-placed walls as long as your vision isn't there.

I also had a demon eye spawn in the surface base on the sides where i have lava, there is no way to get there except to push the button to open the blocks with actuators.

It was a zombie in the surface base and a skeleton in the caverns base. The door would be open from the railroad tracks in the caverns base if the skeleton spawned there and opened it (if they can? still the door was closed when i saw him) but he was in the middle of the building where i have player-placed walls. I still see no reason for them spawning except that they CAN spawn in front of player-placed walls as long as your vision isn't there.

I also had a demon eye spawn in the surface base on the sides where i have lava, there is no way to get there except to push the button to open the blocks with actuators.
Are your pressure plates red? Enemies can activate red pressure plates.

I would do a test of a rectangle with blocks fully enclosing the house (no minecart tracks, no actuated blocks), player placed walls, and then go off screen. Set a timer, and go back to see if there are any enemies in the enclosed box. As far as I can remember, there haven’t been any reports of this on Switch, and if it was the case I would think it would be a more widespread problem.

I’m not saying you’re not being affected with the spawns. :) I believe you. Just trying to troubleshoot if there is something specific in your base set up causing the problem.

I'm using pressure plates that only players can toggle and buttons that mobs cannot interact with.

The first picture (Underground base) has been resolved, found a hole in the wall in the helevator.
The second picture (Surface base) is still a mystery, i removed the lava and the actuator blocks being on top of the lava. The walls are intact and no holes If i close the left actuator-door i'm not able to place NPC's there since it says there is no entry or something similar. The only thing that has spawned here is Demon eyes.

First picture:
Actuator blocks over lava is inactivated and it is in this state/picture the Demon eyes spawned.

Second picture:
Actuator bridge over lava is extended, also the left door is opened (actuators)

Third picture:
I removed the lava and the actuator bridge over the lava, i will see if i get any spawns from these conditions.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
A Purple Slime spawned in the room when the actuator doors were closed. I have now been playing with the actuator door opened and i haven't had any issues with enemies spawning.

Enemies can spawn in a room where you have no access (blocks blocking) on the surface layer, even with player placed walls. Maybe the mobs can spawn anyway if the unreachable room is less than certain Block x Block size?

Attachments

• 20210910_193907.jpg
    20210910_193907.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom