Is this a good suggestion?

• No. And you stink.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm e-mailing it to Red right naow!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Elzébio

Official Terrarian
Right now, banners are mostly collectives. They give off a bonus to efectiveness in combat against the monster they represent, but i feel like there's more that can still be done on them. Seeing as they drop every 50 kills on the same type of enemy, i think it's fitting we use it to reduce mind-numbing gridding that plagues some items.
In adittion to increasing effectiveness in combat, it should increase drop rates on rare items- such as:

Paladin_Banner.png
Pladin Banner - +50% damage aginst and 25% less damage taken from paladin, +5% drop chance on Paladin's Hammer (from 6,67% to 11,67%) and Paladin's Shield (from 10% to 15%)

By doing this, you reduce the time required to get that item that just keeps escaping your grasp, without scoffing completely the effort to acquire it.
Of course, this effect wouldn't stack in deffinetly, capping at a maximum +15% drop chance, while having no effect on monsters who have no rare items or enemies that have 100% chance of dropping a random item out of a pool (bosses). On expert mode, i expect it would be expectable to buff the effects, but personally i feel it would be too game-breaking, as base drop chances are already higher on that mode.
I.e. the very Paladin's Shield mentioned above, while it has 10% drop chance on normal mode, it goes up to 15% on expert mode.

Here's the thing: if you're going to offer a flat bonus to drop chance, it's going to have very different results for different enemies. We should not just consider the idea of wanting just the one instance of a rare item, but also the possibility of farming more common items for cash, not forgetting that getting coins from enemies is already easier just because of the stat bonuses from the banner.

Take for instance a Solar Eclipse. Vampires always drop 50 silver coins, Broken Bat Wings (2.5 Gold coins) at a rate of 2.5%, and Moon Stones (6 Gold coins) at a rate of 2.86% (or 4.29% in Expert Mode, but let's consider normal mode for now). The banner makes them easier to kill (which increases the general profit from a Solar Eclipse because it speeds up the kills per second), but also increases the drop chances of its unique items to 7.5%, almost tripling them. Stacking that up to 15% means a sextuple increase, which is pretty significant if you can shred through Solar Eclipse enemies at a decent pace (which isn't that hard if you have all enemies).

This suggestion is meant to give the player a bonus against a temporary problem, but ends up giving a permanent bonus as well. That's why I can't really vote in favour of it.

Back
Top Bottom