Map-Adventure Escape room: Obelus #1

I managed to craft the giant ruby before I had to quit for the day. I'm excited to see what happens next.
This map is challenging and high-quality, I've been waiting a while for a good puzzle map that uses 1.4.4 mechanics.

TIL the phrase "feature-creeping" and i relate to it so hard that i briefly broke the fabric of space time and reality because i do this way too much lmao
so yeah thanks for introducing me to that lol 👍

I just beat it! Nothing like a good puzzle map to make me feel smarter than I actually am. That was probably a little over 2 hours of playtime.
Hoping for a sequel because the title has '1' in it and the ending was kind of anticlimactic.
Whole thing was definitely thoroughly tested, I found only 2 problems but they didn't halt progression.
Portal gun station in the dropper area will continue to fire forever, making portals kind of annoying to use. You can exit and re-enter the map to get it to stop though.
During the end sequence, the Shroomite Digging Claws were just out of reach and fell out of the area. I also got sniped by Torch God right after but that might've been my fault for not using the Torch God's Favor.

I just beat it! Nothing like a good puzzle map to make me feel smarter than I actually am. That was probably a little over 2 hours of playtime.
Hoping for a sequel because the title has '1' in it and the ending was kind of anticlimactic.
Whole thing was definitely thoroughly tested, I found only 2 problems but they didn't halt progression.
Portal gun station in the dropper area will continue to fire forever, making portals kind of annoying to use. You can exit and re-enter the map to get it to stop though.
During the end sequence, the Shroomite Digging Claws were just out of reach and fell out of the area. I also got sniped by Torch God right after but that might've been my fault for not using the Torch God's Favor.
Portal gun station can also be re-aimed, but the claw is a problem.
Unfortunately it's rather tedious to change the Workshop entry, so I'll only re-post it if I have a significant list of fixes to make. Please tell me of any new problems as they arise.

Last edited:
Having played through the map, what puzzles and elements were your favorite?
Which ones do you never want to have to do again?
What would you like to see in my next project?
Which visuals did you like, which ones could use some work?
Did you enjoy the thematic elements?
What puzzles/effects should I try to add?
How could the map be improved?
Any other suggestions, notes, etc.?

Please mark your response as a spoiler to avoid spoiling.
I'm just trying to get ideas now before I do too much work on #2, It won't be done soon.

Having played through the map, what puzzles and elements were your favorite?
I thought a few of them were particularly creative, like the invisible maze where you must use the shadowbeam staff to see the path.
Which ones do you never want to have to do again?
The dropper was really hard at least. Master difficulty making respawn time super high made it a lot more frustrating, but I don't know if there's much to do about that.
What would you like to see in my next project?
Hoping to see the story continue.
Which visuals did you like, which ones could use some work?
I liked the sort of dungeon/tech theme, but some areas were too dark.
Did you enjoy the thematic elements?
Yes
What puzzles/effects should I try to add?
Maybe something that utilizes the fishing rod/Shimmer interaction?
How could the map be improved?
It's not very clear that you're meant to run past the Shimmer after it begins falling at the very beginning of the map. I had to restart the map because I didn't know what I was doing and just went past when the Shimmer was deactivated.
Any other suggestions, notes, etc.?
If the map will take a while, keep in mind that the release of 1.4.5 (which might have useful new mechanics) is ever approaching, however I personally wouldn't count on it to release very soon.

I thought a few of them were particularly creative, like the invisible maze where you must use the shadowbeam staff to see the path.

The dropper was really hard at least. Master difficulty making respawn time super high made it a lot more frustrating, but I don't know if there's much to do about that.

Hoping to see the story continue.

I liked the sort of dungeon/tech theme, but some areas were too dark.

Yes

Maybe something that utilizes the fishing rod/Shimmer interaction?

It's not very clear that you're meant to run past the Shimmer after it begins falling at the very beginning of the map. I had to restart the map because I didn't know what I was doing and just went past when the Shimmer was deactivated.

If the map will take a while, keep in mind that the release of 1.4.5 (which might have useful new mechanics) is ever approaching, however I personally wouldn't count on it to release very soon.
Thanks for reminding me about the fishing rod thing.
I completely forgot about it but it has significant potential.

Back
Top Bottom