tModLoader Faster Start

Gortart

Terrarian
I love Terraria but Terraria's early game is very tedious. Faster Start adds "Survival Kit" that gives new players some items to speed up the early game. They include:
  • Wooden Boomerang/Copper bow/Topaz Staff[Ice Boomerang/Tungsten bow/Ruby Staff] -weapon
  • Survival Pickaxe and Survival Hamaxe(both are decent earlygame tools with limited combat abilities)
  • Cloud in a Bottle[Sandstorm in a Bottle] -bottle
  • Emerald Hook
  • Iron armor[Tungsten Armor] -armor
  • Hermes/Flurry/Sailfish boots
  • A Life Crystal, 2 Mana Crystal[2, 4 crystals] -health/mana
  • 15 Lesser Healing Potion
  • Ice/Magic Mirror
  • Money Trough
  • 50 torches
  • 10-minute Fresh Start buff(combined effects of swiftness, mining, builder and spelunker potions, immediately given when the player opens the kit)
1 of 4 categories of items will be upgraded to items in the brackets.

This mod should be compatable with every mod except fast start(or any mod that deletes starting items). Tested with thorium, fargo's mutant, reduced grinding and all 3 mods added their starting/respawning item correctly.

I made this mod because the original fast start mod deletes other mods' starting items.

Search "faster start" in the mod browser to download this mod or download it from github.

Let me know if you encounter a bug or an issue. I will try my best to fix it.
Initial Release

Fixed incompatibility with calamity mod.
Added wood, torch and builder potion to starting items.

Fixed incompatibility with calamity mod.(again)

Added spelunker potion to starting items.

The mod no longer spams error log and slow down mod loading.

The player no longer gets blowpipe/paintball gun for bonus weapon. They instead get copper bow/tungsten bow.

The mod now uses ModPlayer.SetupStartInventory(IList<Item>, bool) instead of deprecated ModPlayer.SetupStartInventory(IList<Item>).

Added mod icon.

Migrated to tmodloader 0.11.5

The mod now includes source code.

The mod now uses a bag to give starting items, which should eliminate most mod conflict.(Bag sprite is from GeorGui icon set)

Changed starter bag to survival kit with a new sprite.
Added survival pickaxe/hamaxe.
Added fresh start buff.
Removed some of the starting items that are generally redundant.
Changed the random bonuses to balance them out a bit.

Updated to tModloader 1.4.3

Updated to tModloader 1.4.4

Last edited:
When playing in expert difficulty with Calamity Mod enabled you don't get all three armour pieces when you start because one of them gets replaced by the Revengeance potion.

What are your thoughts about building-related things? A stack of wood, 30 acorns, some build potions, and maybe some of the Traveling Merchants building-related stuff, like the brick layer and cement mixer? I always go for those whenever possible.

When playing in expert difficulty with Calamity Mod enabled you don't get all three armour pieces when you start because one of them gets replaced by the Revengeance potion.
It is now fixed. Thanks for your report.
What are your thoughts about building-related things? A stack of wood, 30 acorns, some build potions, and maybe some of the Traveling Merchants building-related stuff, like the brick layer and cement mixer? I always go for those whenever possible.
I added some wood, torch and builder potions. I think giving acorns would be little pointless(it's not like acorns are hard to gather). Giving brick layer as starting item doesn't feel right to me because all of the other starting items are technically pre-anything.

I love this, because I wanna do YouTube and I cannot commentate on the beginning of the game. But can we have Spelunker Potions be a thing also? Like the Starter Bags from Calamity. Because that'll be a much faster and more random start than being given any of the chest loot or whatever.

I love this, because I wanna do YouTube and I cannot commentate on the beginning of the game. But can we have Spelunker Potions be a thing also? Like the Starter Bags from Calamity. Because that'll be a much faster and more random start than being given any of the chest loot or whatever.
It's kind of too much at this point but eh. I added 5 spelunker potions to the starting items.

Add an option to go completely insane and just draw a pool of say, 15 random items. Might start with a shortsword. Might start with an S.D.M.G.... lol

Content update after over a year!
This update adds new starter pick/hamaxe and starter buff which should clutter up your inventory less. It also removes some of the items that were pretty redundant like zombie arms.

Back
Top Bottom