Fishing troubles

daimoth

Terrarian
Simply put, I can't catch quest fish. I've caught exactly one quest fish so far, and it wasn't for the active quest. Looking at the wiki, that's not supposed to be possible. I'm using 1.2.4.1, purchased through Steam, unmodified.

Currently, I'm looking for a mirage fish, caught in the underground hallow. So... I've been fishing in an underground hallow for a bit now, well over 100 casts without a mirage fish. Rate of quest fish is supposed to be 1/10, isn't it?

Yes, It shouldn't be that hard to catch a quest fish. If you think that it takes too long, then you don't have the requirements to catch the fish.
most of the problems are a low water level, not the right biome or the day is already over.

If you want quest fish efficiently you're gonna have to either:

1. Make a suitable fishing area.
2. Note any huge and deep bodies of water.

Otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

300 blocks of water is minimum for a good fishing spot, and if you have hardmode, you need some better fishing rods than corruption tiered.

Underground hallow, I've got the pearlstone, crystals everywhere and correct music and background behind me, the depth is appropriate - hell, according to the wiki mirage fish can be caught at any depth, although I am fishing in the underground as the NPC hinted. I am catching fish, so there's enough water there to fish. Do quest fish require extra water? The one quest fish I did catch was in a much smaller body of water than the one I'm using, but again it wasn't the right quest fish.

The pole I'm using is the sitting duck one, which according to the wiki is one of the best fishing poles in the game.

Frankly, this feels like a bug.

Last edited:
300 blocks of water is minimum for a good fishing spot, and if you have hardmode, you need some better fishing rods than corruption tiered.

Only problem is getting hold of one. x-x

The only better Fishing Rods are the Sitting Duck Fishing Rod, Hotline Fishing Rod, Mechanical Rod or Golden Fishing Pole and three of them are completely random. s:

Underground hallow, I've got the pearlstone and correct music behind me, the depth is appropriate - hell, according to the wiki mirage fish can be caught at any depth, although I am fishing in the underground as the NPC hinted. I am catching fish, so there's enough water there to fish. Do quest fish require extra water? The one quest fish I did catch was in a much smaller body of water than the one I'm using. Frankly, it feels like a bug.

Less suitable water tiles gives you less of a chance of finding certain fish. It doesn't count all tiles in the body of water but only the tiles directly below it. The jagged parts on the ends don't 'count'.

This lake is big enough regardless. It is in no way small, or even approaching small. It's not the problem.

Sitting duck rod, mostly butterflies, and the body of water is big enough that not all of it's on the screen at once.

Sitting duck rod, mostly butterflies, and the body of water is big enough that not all of it's on the screen at once.

All I can think of is that you either don't have enough Fishing Power or you're not deep enough for the specific Quest Fish.

I've double checked the depth at the wiki, and I keep a GPS on me. I'm definitely in the underground. But again, the wiki also says that the mirage fish can be caught at any depth. I'm only using the underground because the angler hinted at it.

but that's just this fish.

I'm, like, farming pumpkin moons and frost moons and whatnot, yet I've never been able to complete a single fishing quest.

That's been the plan so far. :confused:

This will be the fifth or sixth time I've attempted to do one of the angler's quests, and I've gone through all my bait trying to catch the fish with every attempt. Really hope the world's not bugged or something.

Otherwise you're going to have a bad time.
It's a bad time regardless. Even before I figured out I couldn't complete fishing quests I hated it, everything from the tedious bait collection, to fretting over lake size, incessantly breaking fishing line (no fishing quests = no high-test line), inventory clutter from opening crates, etc. Speaking of which, why do crates consume bait... ? Why is bait a thing at all? Other games with fishing do without it and nobody bats an eye. It's also one of the least farmable necessities in the game. Even optimized bait farms yield slowly, with truffle farms being the exception. Which is odd considering how much more valuable that bait is. A much better way to add depth to fishing would have been fishing bobbers, which could be kind of like affixes that come in the form of items; right click the bobber, left click on fishing pole. Bam, Cthulu's Unholy Uberbobber applied.

Bit of rant, but yeah, fishing's the worst part of this otherwise great game by a wide margin.

Last edited:
Simply put, I can't catch quest fish. I've caught exactly one quest fish so far, and it wasn't for the active quest. Looking at the wiki, that's not supposed to be possible. I'm using 1.2.4.1, purchased through Steam, unmodified.

Currently, I'm looking for a mirage fish, caught in the underground hallow. So... I've been fishing in an underground hallow for a bit now, well over 100 casts without a mirage fish. Rate of quest fish is supposed to be 1/10, isn't it?
i have the same problem

Try to make a screen of a random fishing area you're using. Maybe something causes the problems.

Also I have one question. Are you submerged by water when fishing (full or partially)? If yes, don't do it. You have to get out of the water to fish correctly. Were you fishing any other items except for the quest fish?

Is your Angler still alive? Maybe that would cause the problem, but I dunno if it affects the quest fish.

Your either having the worst luck in the world or it's a bug. In 1.3 I have at least 50 quests done, if not more. So, here's what you need. Go outside of your house at night, make sure there is a lot of NPCs around so monsters don't spawn. Get. Fireflies. They are by far the easiest to get as they spawn in huge packs and spawn commonly around NPCs at night.

Other than that, it's all RNG pretty much. The anglers quest changes as soon as it turns to the next day, or 4:30am. So, you should be able to check what time it is if you have a GPS. Make sure your lake is at least 300 blocks of water if not more. How you can tell is if you don't catch any seaweed, tin cans, or old shoes.

Bring fishing potions along with you for help. Bring as much bait as possible as well as your best Rod. Light the place up and have minions so the monsters don't bother you. And if you are catching the junk stuff from a lake, it is either too small or is not set up correctly.

The game measures pools of water from the surface down. So if you create a huge underground river with an entrance for fishing above the river itself, your doing it wrong. Make it either a square or a large surface area and smaller as it goes down. The more water the better.

Lastly, just make sure to hope for the best. Fish for as long as possible, refresh your potions, bring any fishing accessories, have minions deal with the monsters, bring as much bait and your best Rod, and get there as fast as you can. The quest at dawn only lasts 30 minutes of real life time. Pray to the RNG gods and get there as fast as you can, and if the time gets to 4:30am, the quest has changed.

Hope this helps you.

EDIT: a clear inventory always helps. You'll catch a lot and you need room for al the stuff.

I had a lot of trouble getting the quest fish to drop when I first started. And here's what I finally figured out: no matter where you think you are...snow biome, Hallow, ocean etc...you need to pay very close attention to the color of the water you are fishing in. It's based on where you are standing when you cast. A few steps to the left or right, up or down can change the biome completely. For example, for the longest time I was trying to catch a fish that needed a snow biome, surface area to be caught. I thought I had all the right conditions: Large lake to fish in....check. Snowing in the background, obviously a snow biome....check. Decent bait, decent fishing rod...check. Depth was...well, the surface...check. I fished for nearly an hour before just giving up. This was occurring with a few other quest fish and was making the whole situation frustrating beyond belief. What the quest giver doesn't tell you is that sometimes the biome he wants the fish out of must be free of corruption, crimson, and hallow. All of which run pretty rampant after activating hardmode.

I had a thought after that, I'd just bought a whole set of water fountains from the witch doctor (fancy!). Each one when you turn them on correspond to the color of the biome water they represent. Take a look for yourself http://terraria.wiki.gg/Fountain . Using that as a guide, I discovered I was attempting to fish up my snow biome, surface quest fish out of corrupted water. It was definitely purple, not the clear ice blue of snow biome/forest waters that the quest giver was secretly wanting /le sigh. The clentaminator works well to clear up these issues. Get the solution you need and use it on the area you need to fish in to change the water to the color needed for the quest fish http://terraria.wiki.gg/Clentaminator and http://terraria.wiki.gg/Solution . Or if worse comes to worse, use a bunch of purification powders from the Dryad http://terraria.wiki.gg/Thrown_Powder . After paying close attention to the color of the water I'm trying to get the quest fish out of, in addition to following the depth guidelines, making sure I get it caught and turned in before 4:30 am reset, and even with the crappiest gear/pole/bait/body of water...it never took more than 5 minutes to catch a quest fish again. Here's another guide that specifically lists the background biomes needed for quest fish http://terraria.wiki.gg/Fishing .

Also fyi, you may not be able to hold more than one quest fish in your inventory at once, but you sure can toss unlimited ones into chests or better yet the Money Trough if you have one http://terraria.wiki.gg/Money_Trough . Stock up on a few and the next time the quest guy asks for that particular quest fish you'll already have it...EZPZ and take the day off :sigh::D Good luck all!

Back
Top Bottom