Game Mechanics Fixing the Spike Exploit

Snickerbobble

The Painter
Hey all, small suggestion this time.

With the addition of more tiers and armor, spikes have become the new hellstone exploit. A player can wear beetle defense armor and with the use of one iron skin potion, this grants them 81 defense- enough to negate the 40 damage from spikes down to 1. No need to focus on a high defense build with all Warding modifiers, a player can sit grappled down and take steady 1 damage with a high damage/crit build with Menacing/Lucky. I believe this should be fixed, as it puts the player in god mode without any fancy wired contraptions, just a single spike placed with some healing stations present.

A debuff might not make as much sense as the burning of the hellstone, so I simply suggest: Let spikes and wooden spikes pierce defense. To compensate, their damages could be reduced by 5 and 10, respectively.

To those who might say "Let them exploit if they want"... this would kill the exploit as well as keeping spikes a hazard in the Hardmode Dungeon. With extra health and further damage negation, spikes become less deadly later on, as even mages can walk over a row of them without much loss, so they would remain dangerous with this piercing defense idea. This could also allow miniature biomes as spoiled by Redigit to have weaker variants of Spikes (for example this idea's splinters) without being even easier to exploit with players with less defense.

That's it, feel free to show support or voice how much you hate this idea. :dryadsmile:

Last edited:
Personally, I think the spike abuse should be fixed. No offense to people who make magnificent arenas build around this, but it feels like very unintended behaviour to me.
So I like your idea. :)

I do wonder where your delicous avatar went though. :(

I thought more of percentage damage. something like 5-10% off max HP, so you'll not be able to keep hurting yourself.
this may be weird though, because spikes will hurt you more the more lives you have, Ah well, just an idea.

Of course is should pierce... It's a frickin' giant spike! However I believe a composite damage approach would be nicer to players who aren't exploiting this. So Spike block currently deal 40 damage, 20 of that pierces at set value and the other 20 can be reduced down to 1 with armour. The armour would still require players to have a defence of 81~

Wooden Spike blocks do 60, so apply same concept, they need 121~ to take 31 damage per second. This means players don't suffer dispite all their efforts of gathering high tiers of armour, but they can't explote the spikes.

They are already crying. Spikes no longer give invincibility frames. See 1.3.0.5.
Ohhh, I see, I missed that one.
I knew that in 1.3.0.6. the Moon Lord's attacks started to follow their own immunity cooldowns, but I didn't know that spikes were fixed too previously.

This should be also applied to Blazing Wheels and Spike Balls. They become useless.
Well, they're classified as enemies, just like Angry Bones and Dark Casters which also do one damage. Meant to challenge pre-hardmode, not hardmode. They shouldn't have armor penetration.

Well, they're classified as enemies, just like Angry Bones and Dark Casters which also do one damage. Meant to challenge pre-hardmode, not hardmode. They shouldn't have armor penetration.
An enemy that you can't kill and doesn't follow you around to kill you but still makes an area dangerous is called a hazard or a trap. Traps != enemies, and those guys never got a hardmode counterpart, they're only dangerous on the first dungeon raids. (same thing goes for current spikes).

An enemy that you can't kill and doesn't follow you around to kill you but still makes an area dangerous is called a hazard or a trap. Traps != enemies, and those guys never got a hardmode counterpart, they're only dangerous on the first dungeon raids. (same thing goes for current spikes).
The area should be more hazardous for the first dungeon raid since one of the player's main goals is to explore. After Plantera, it's more a matter of farming enemies, so the terrain shouldn't be as hazardous.

They removed the spike's export because people were exploiting the Moon Lord. So spikes check for other damage sources first before damaging you.

Back
Top Bottom