Question Forum Question Thread V2.0 (1.3.1 Edition!)

Remember, when dealing with mechanics, the game doesn't discriminate between friendly and hostile NPCs (unless I've missed something important), so building a trap that only triggers on monsters, but not on townies, is pretty much impossible.

Yeah Well, the buttons have kept me from dying, and I've been making a town NPC trap that puts them back in the house! ;)

I have a question: is there a way to make a stackable, precise long-wait clock? I have ideas for auto harvesting farms, but my problem is I need to make a long, customizable delay system so that it doesn't try to harvest at most every 5 seconds. Also, I need it to be functional in 1.2.4, although Im sure others would welcome a 1.3.1 version. Thanks.

@pbq sorry, but that doesn't help me. Dummies are NOT in 1.2.4(I use mobile). Therefore that design, while interesting, cannot help.

@LavaGamer
Sorry, I don't have any experience with non pc versions. Hoiking in general still works though, doesn't it? You should be able to replace dummy with something similar to this thing.
Capture 2017-03-31 19_08_17.png
Capture 2017-03-31 19_08_27.png

Switch loads npc into the hoik loop, impulse to the wire sends him into different loop, which he immediately comes out of and back into original. Delay varies between 1-2 ticks depending on original position in the loop, but shouldn't matter in this case.
Just make the npc homeless so he doesn't teleport away during night/rain.

@LavaGamer
Sorry, I don't have any experience with non pc versions. Hoiking in general still works though, doesn't it? You should be able to replace dummy with something similar to this thing.
View attachment 164416 View attachment 164417
Switch loads npc into the hoik loop, impulse to the wire sends him into different loop, which he immediately comes out of and back into original. Delay varies between 1-2 ticks depending on original position in the loop, but shouldn't matter in this case.
Just make the npc homeless so he doesn't teleport away during night/rain.
Hoiking is functional in mobile, with a small difference in one direction(I think that you have to slow down when going right so that you don't just smash through a wall). I was going to make this reply be about how that isn't a clock, then I reread and saw the "replace dummy" part. Lol, thanks!
Edit: Also if you go too fast teleports are unable to grab you, could make a machine out of that... *wild ideas*

@LavaGamer
Looked up some youtube videos on mobile hoiks. Don't know if they're just very old info, or if mobile is just so different that stuff I usually use doesn't work. From what I've seen you should still be able to make two teleporters next to each other, with short 1-3 one way hoik track to pressure plate that teleports npc back to the beginning of the track, then have a teleporter under those to teleport him out of it, no matter where his current position is, into a different short track where he'll trigger a plate to turn off the timer and teleport back into original short teleporter/hoik loop. It would be very noisy, but should work.
In theory, you don't even need the short hoik loop, and have npc waiting in a 2x3 room(or inside a wall?) to teleport him into short hoik track to deactivate timer and teleport him back into waiting room. It's just personal preference/bias on my part, because I tend to get stuck in hoik teeth from time to time, and want to immobilize npc as much as possible.
Short version, it should still be possible even on mobile, but I don't have it, so I can't test which things don't work(reliably enough).
Good luck, maybe someone with access to mobile version can be of help.

@pbq
Alrighty then. I actually did some testing yesterday and I couldn't find a way to make an up hoik work. Im sure I just did something wrong but with what I was doing, I actually needed a loading tooth at foot level to propel upwards, but any direction sloping above that ejected me. This calls for: DEDICATED WIRING AREA(and much testing)
edit: Also while messing around I decided to try and make a series of activating timers and it turned up some interesting results. With a huge series of 5 second timers I can actually make what I need without a clock. (probably what a "timer cascade" is but I didn't quite understand that page :p)

I struggle with creating a mechanism that gives signal at night and doesn't at day. Day and night sensors give the signal when day or night starts, so I couldn't think up of anything.

I struggle with creating a mechanism that gives signal at night and doesn't at day. Day and night sensors give the signal when day or night starts, so I couldn't think up of anything.

You could use a rising edge detector to output a signal only when the device turns on. Just connect your sensor to both the faulty lamp and the logic lamp of a faulty lamp gate and use its output as your new signal.

is it possible to toggle a crim/crupt to hallowed biome farm with actuators or does that not remove the actuated block as counting to the biome

is it possible to toggle a crim/crupt to hallowed biome farm with actuators or does that not remove the actuated block as counting to the biome
I remember seeing an advanced key mold farm employing actuation, and I do believe that it does prioritize non actuated blocks when determining biome. Someone double check this if you wish.

Afaik, it doesn't matter if a biome block is actuated or not for the purpose of determining biome.
Just tested with crimstone. I had 199 near my fishing spot, which was surface snow. Added 1 crimstone block, got crimson. Actuated one block, it still was crimson.
@LavaGamer are you sure it wasn't just multi-spawnsurface mob grinder?
edit: this was on pc 1.3.5.3. iirc LavaGamer had mobile version, so that might be completely different

If something had a 1in 3 drop that could be spawned from statues, then it would make a good randomiser
[doublepost=1524011944,1524011534][/doublepost]What are the mechanics of strange plants?

Back
Top Bottom