Working as Designed Frost Moon achievement is awarded on 15th round, but not Christmas

mathbrush

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
In 1.4, the devs added in Halloween and Christmas spawning in if you defeat the respective moon.

Pumpkin Moon spawns Halloween on round 15, its final round.

Frost Moon is unusual in that it has 20 rounds, but rounds 16-20 are 'bonus rounds'. This is confirmed by the achievement for defeating Frost Moon being awarded on round 15.

However, the Christmas season will not spawn on round 15. I believe that this is unintended behavior, as reaching round 20 is generally impossible without exploits such as the Headless Horseman Blade mob farm.

Generally impossible to reach round 20?

Definitely not the case. I can bring this up for discussion, but round 20 is relatively simple to reach with a decent arena and solid gear.

I'll have to try it with an arena, then. When I do it with endgame armor and Zenith, not enough bosses spawn for me to get to round 20 (there are several-second gaps between them), so I wonder if I need an arena to kill the ground troops faster. It's hard, too, because all 'Frost Moon round 20' videos either use the Headless Horseman trick or patched exploits like slime bounce.

@TomatoBoy are you sure? Something weird may have happened to mine then. I unlocked Halloween after round 15 of Pumpkin Moon (it was really fun!), but I got to round 17 a couple of times in Frost Moon without Christmas unlocking as far as I could tell. If it worked for you and not me, it might be a bug and I could try to reproduce it.

Last edited:
I'll have to try it with an arena, then. When I do it with endgame armor and Zenith, not enough bosses spawn for me to get to round 20 (there are several-second gaps between them), so I wonder if I need an arena to kill the ground troops faster. It's hard, too, because all 'Frost Moon round 20' videos either use the Headless Horseman trick or patched exploits like slime bounce.

@TomatoBoy are you sure? Something weird may have happened to mine then. I unlocked Halloween after round 15 of Pumpkin Moon (it was really fun!), but I got to round 17 a couple of times in Frost Moon without Christmas unlocking as far as I could tell. If it worked for you and not me, it might be a bug and I could try to reproduce it.
I haven't beaten the frost moon yet, so I may be wrong. I have gotten Halloween though.

I've literally never used Headless Horseman trick to get to round 20.

What difficulty are you on?

End-game armor + Zenith should be an absolute cakewalk to get to round 20, at least on normal.

EDIT: Just to fact-check myself, I rolled out to a nearby flat arena (no buffs or anything, just a flat desert with no caves) with Solar Armor + Zenith and a non-optimized loadout. No buffs, just a couple accessories, no prefixes on anything, didn't even do Battle Potion/Water Candle. I hit Wave 20 at 11:49 PM. This was on Expert, mind you, I'm sure Master may be a bit more challenging, but then again, I was not optimized by any means, I could have had a better arena, buffs, prefixes, accessories.

Last edited:
Thank you, it turned I was just stupid. The flat arena actually made things work for me. Before, I was just chasing Ice Queens around and not getting any points from Yetis; standing still made killing monsters much faster.

Thanks, and in the future I'll ask for help instead of reporting things like this as bugs. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom