**REPORTED** Game Crashes in Multiplayer When Certain Items Are Used on Mismatched FPS Settings

Raw the Rawest

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Edit: Game crashes in multiplayer when playing with friends on different FPS settings (240 FPS player playing with 60 FPS player), when certain items/weapons (such as Zenith) are being used and mostly occurs during boss fights or invasions.

I've been playing Terraria: Labor of Love multiplayer with a couple friends for a few days now and my game occasionally crashes unexpectedly, and it's getting a bit annoying to spend a few minutes reopening the game and entering the world each time it occurs.

I really don't know what's causing the crashes, but I find that it usually occurs when fighting bosses. (Crashed on separate occasions during fighting 2 Queen Bees, Wall of Flesh, Skeletron Prime, Queen Slime and the Twins so far.)

I've attached my client-crashlog.txt to this post for reading.

Attachments

• client-crashlog.txt
    31.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I haven't been using any resource packs whatsoever.
Thank you for confirming. I've forwarded your report to the developers to check. At the time of writing, this issue hasn't been reported by other players so it may take a bit to track down what's going on.

If you could please also check and confirm the server you're connecting to has no mods, etc., that would be good. Also, is it affecting only you, or do other players connecting to the server have the same issue?

Thank you for confirming. I've forwarded your report to the developers to check. At the time of writing, this issue hasn't been reported by other players so it may take a bit to track down what's going on.

If you could please also check and confirm the server you're connecting to has no mods, etc., that would be good. Also, is it affecting only you, or do other players connecting to the server have the same issue?
Small update: I've crashed a few more times since then, once to Hardmode Goblin Army and twice to Pumpkin Moon (both Wave 17).

I've been hosting my world with the "Host and Play" option under multiplayer and my friends join me through Steam, not a dedicated(?) server.

I've been playing with no mods on the server whatsoever.

Each time I crash, Terraria closes and opens a Terraria: Error window which has displayed each error in the client-crashlog.txt thus far. My friends haven't crashed, they simply get disconnected shortly thereafter with the message "Lost connection" and are sent back to the main menu when my game closes.

If this crash has to do with textures/animation, then I will mention that since not having played for a few years and playing on my new PC and monitors, I've had to turn off frame skip on my 240hz monitor otherwise gameplay looks quite choppy. This causes some ingame animations to play really fast, such as dropped coin spinning, cloud parralax on windy days, inferno potion buff's rotary flames, souls of ight items, and fishing bait flickering beside the cursor when holding a fishing rod.

Attachments

• client-crashlog.txt
    43.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
i mean the character equipment. game items that can be equipped are commonly referred to as equipment
Apologies for giving you the wrong information. My character's equipment has changed between crashes, but I'll show you my character's current inventory & equipment.

I've been mainly using melee items pre-hardmode and ranged in hardmode, and most recently chlorophyte ranged gear and weapons (including chlorophyte shotbow and chlorophyte arrows). I'm also usually buffed with a lot of buffs.

20221010151450.jpg

I've also experienced random crashes (the whole computer freezes). Running Windows 10, Steam, Terraria 1.4.4.5, Autosave enabled.
Usually once per day about 30-60 minutes after launching the game turning on my computer, it just freezes. Audio continues for a few seconds and then stops. Keyboard and mouse becomes unresponsive (ctrl-alt-del has no effect). Have to hold power button to turn off pc. No problem launching the game the second time.

Edit: Seems to not happen if I alt-tab back and forth between Terraria and browser. But happens again if I don't alt-tab for 30+ minutes.

Edit: Just had another crash 30~ minutes after boot. Without Terraria running. Might just be my computer having some other issues.

Last edited:
Seems to be an issue with the game not using HiDef graphics profile under some strange conditions.
The game seems to set the graphics profile to Reach (which is what causes this bug) when the width is less than or equal to 1920 and the height is less than or equal to 1200.
This only occurs on windows.

I also have this exact same crash, and it seems to be happening more frequently when I progressed into HM.
Terraria version 1.4.4.5, no mods, no resourcepacks or anything, just vanilla Terraria.
It is very annoying as it happens most frequently with events or boss fights going on, to the point where it just makes me want to stop playing at all :\.

GPU: RX 6600XT
CPU: i5-13600K
I don't know if it's relevant but I play at 144 fps.

I've been playing Terraria: Labor of Love multiplayer with a couple friends for a few days now and my game occasionally crashes unexpectedly, and it's getting a bit annoying to spend a few minutes reopening the game and entering the world each time it occurs.

I really don't know what's causing the crashes, but I find that it usually occurs when fighting bosses. (Crashed on separate occasions during fighting 2 Queen Bees, Wall of Flesh, Skeletron Prime, Queen Slime and the Twins so far.)

I've attached my client-crashlog.txt to this post for reading.

@Raw the Rawest can you try obtaining a Joja Cola and turning it into the Dryad? We have reason to suspect the crash might be related to the special animation system for this crossover item.

@Raw the Rawest can you try obtaining a Joja Cola and turning it into the Dryad? We have reason to suspect the crash might be related to the special animation system for this crossover item.
I turned Joja Cola in to the Dryad on all frame skip settings in singleplayer and multiplayer without anyone present and all was normal. Same for when one of my friends turned it in as well when I was with him before. Please let me know if you'd like me to try again but with my friends present and have them turn in Joja Cola as well.

I spoke to another person in a YouTube video's comments section and they get the exact same crash in multiplayer when playing at 144+ FPS with frame skip off with their friend playing at 60 FPS, of which mostly occurs during boss fights or invasions. They said "if you turn off frame skip in multiplayer and you and your friend don’t have matching framerates it can crash the game. A friend of mine was using zenith at 60 fps and my computer would crash when on 144+ fps. This also can happen with the starlight."

I tested this and got my friend with his settings playing at 60 FPS with frame skip off to constantly swing Zenith during Pumpkin Moon and we managed to crash my game twice. This crash can still occur with other weapons though as I previously crashed several times before without Zenith present.

In my case, I've been playing at 240 FPS with frame skip off while both my friends play at 60 FPS with frame skip off. (One was playing with frame skip on but turned it off before the 2 crashes I just mentioned.)

Attachments

• client-crashlog.txt
    49.1 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom