Switch Game doesn’t seem to be able to handle some things, keeps freezing

MrSinister

Terrarian
I made an account here to report this issue which has been bothering me for a while. I’ve been playing Terraria for years and loving it, and I bought the Switch version a few weeks ago and have been playing nonstop. However, the game just doesn’t seem to be able to handle itself very well. Weapons like the Terra Blade and the Water Bolt that create a lot of particles, as well as bosses like the moon lord and the pillars seem to cause the game to lag occasionally. The biggest problem though, is the freezing. Any boss fight or event I do seems to run the risk of freezing the game, and this can also be brought on by the causes listed previously. This can have the effect of reversing progress. I’m playing on a small expert mode world, and I’ve tried turning autosave off to avoid this, but it still happens nonetheless. I’m not sure if it’s an issue with the Switch’s hardware not being able to handle Terraria, but regardless, it seems like others are having similar issues, so it would be much appreciated if the devs could take a look at this. It’s beginning to make the game unplayable.

I made an account here to report this issue which has been bothering me for a while. I’ve been playing Terraria for years and loving it, and I bought the Switch version a few weeks ago and have been playing nonstop. However, the game just doesn’t seem to be able to handle itself very well. Weapons like the Terra Blade and the Water Bolt that create a lot of particles, as well as bosses like the moon lord and the pillars seem to cause the game to lag occasionally. The biggest problem though, is the freezing. Any boss fight or event I do seems to run the risk of freezing the game, and this can also be brought on by the causes listed previously. This can have the effect of reversing progress. I’m playing on a small expert mode world, and I’ve tried turning autosave off to avoid this, but it still happens nonetheless. I’m not sure if it’s an issue with the Switch’s hardware not being able to handle Terraria, but regardless, it seems like others are having similar issues, so it would be much appreciated if the devs could take a look at this. It’s beginning to make the game unplayable.
Hi there @MrSinister, welcome to the forum. ~:)

There does seem to be some performance issues when there are a lot of particles on the screen based off of what other members are reporting. In the Terraria State of the Game - March 2020 Pipeworks (the team porting the game to console) mentioned “Work over the past few weeks has been focused on performance and stability, especially in high-particle situations” so it’s something on the radar and being worked on that will hopefully be in better working order when the next update releases.

You can see the latest development news here: Terraria State of the Game - April 2020

And you can watch this section for new threads: Console - 505 Games/Pipeworks Studio

I sent this in a bug report ticket to 505games today as I've been having the same issues. The worst outcome (apart from full save data loss) happened today and I just had too. It was the biggest downer lol

"The shadowflame hex doll weapon would crash the game with its primary use. 5 crashes was enough to make me just stop using it and my magic build. It's like there was too much going on or something maybe with the magic effects but I don't know. It was frustrating.

Then I switch to melee, and today I finally managed to craft a terra blade. Best thing ever, chance vs Plantera. Then I grab my platinum and reforge 3 platinum away till its a Legendary Terra Blade. Excited again, the hard paid off. So, it happened to be a blood moon and in my excitement- I decide to go out and smash some stuff with it. And my game crashes after I jump outside and start blasting bolts back and forth. -_-

I figure 'well whatever' I'll just be mindful and not go bonkers with it. Save it for bosses. I shut the game off and go back in. The terrablade is gone from my inventory bar. It is gone from my inventory, my piggybank, my chests, and everything else.
My platinum from reforging it is also gone, as are my true excalibur and true nights edge for crafting it.
It just poofed out of my inventory and I'm about as let down as possible.

I figure there's nothing that can be done- but I'm not going to go back to the game for awhile if its going to not only continuously crash but also rob me of I had in the game thus far.

I at least got the achievement unlock but its just too hard of a bummer for me right now to really process.

If you could please let me know of any issues or things to avoid or... I dunno... Ways to keep this from happening, I'd appreciate it. I absolutely love the game. I have it for every platform but the switch version seems to be the one that I'm having the most trouble with out of all of them... I can't believe something from your inventory could just disappear...

Thanks,
JD"

Then I checked these forums and saw this and the 'particle stability issues' being a thing.
But losing a terra blade on the deal... Ouch

Everyone else be careful!

Back
Top Bottom