Game runs in "Slow motion" or low fps?

Sorry to bump this thread a month after the most recent reply, but it's been over a year since 1.3 released and I'm still having this issue. I've looked everywhere (twice) and still can't find a fix. Does anyone know if there are any known fixes for this issue?
I lag on ANY multiplayer server I join, steam or IP. Hosting also causes the problem. The only way I can play is by disabling frame skip, but that makes my game run in super slow-motion.
I've tried deleting the config in documents, reinstalling basically everything related to Terraria I could find, setting the priority to high, disabling the steam cloud, and changing all of my options around.
I can't do the Nvidia thing because I'm using AMD.
My brothers can run the game perfectly fine in singleplayer and multiplayer.

Any help?
You need to provide your computer specs, and you can set everything via AMD Catalyst.

Alright, here's my specs from dxdiag and system information. Tell me if you need anything else from it:

Name: AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics
Processor: AMD E-2 1800 APU with Radeon(tm) graphics - 1.70GHz
4 GB Ram (2,037 mb?)
Chip: AMD Radeon HD 7340 Graphics (0x9808)
64 Bit OS / Processor
Internal DAC (400MHz)
Version 13.251.9001.1001
Generic PnP Monitor

Also, how can I set settings through AMD Catalyst?
Make sure you are using the latest version of .NET.

Whenever I try to install .NET framework 4.6.2 it gives me the message "The parameter is incorrect." and fails.

TRy 4.6.2 instead, and if this fails then your system is corrupted and cannot install a proper version of .NET at this time. There is no fix/workaround yet, and the only solution is to install windows on a clean harddrive.

"Patch won't change. Looks like they rised requirements. Now they destroyed the game for "no super computer" players."
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz.
  • Memory: 512MB.
  • Hard Disk Space: 200MB.
  • Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 1.1.
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater.
Really? That's a hard requirement to meet? Is your system from 1998?

I assume you meant 4.6.1 - I just tried that and it also failed (with the same message).
I'm not really willing to install windows on a clean hard drive so I guess I'll have to wait it out and hope a fix comes around eventually so I can play terraria again.
On the bright side, I tried terraria multiplayer and suddenly if nothing is happening then I can get 10-15 FPS, so that's a bit better.

Also, I don't know if it's relevant, but there are two windows updates that constantly install each time I start up my computer (KB3063843 & KB2990967)

No I did mean download 4.6.2 and install it: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53345

"Patch won't change. Looks like they rised requirements. Now they destroyed the game for "no super computer" players."
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz.
  • Memory: 512MB.
  • Hard Disk Space: 200MB.
  • Video Card: 128mb Video Memory, capable of Shader Model 1.1.
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater.
Really? That's a hard requirement to meet? Is your system from 1998?

The requirements have changed twice over the years actually, and his computer does pass the minimum. APUs though are not something I would consider a reliable performance boost.

I guess you're right. It didn't fix things.
It's a bit disappointing though. I'd like to be able to play terraria multiplayer again but I feel like I'm at a dead end.
I have been trying to tackle this issue since it first showed up, and I myself was a victim to it. I decided to install windows on a clean harddrive and the problem resolves itself. This sadly, is the only fix at the moment. However, you should double check all settings of your graphic card and delete the json files if you haven't done so.

Yeah, tried it again and it didn't help.
How long does reinstalling windows on a clean hard drive take?

Can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour to complete, this doesn't include drivers and additional software you will need later to use the computer completely.

I've tried the frame skip option and it helps, but it's not great. Once things get hectic, like blood moon/solar eclipse or several bosses, then things drop to 5fps. Usually my fps is around 40 on single player but then drops to 20 on multiplayer, and 5 or less during those hectic times.

I've got 3gigs of ram with 1.8GHz cpu, ATI Radeon 2600HD
Running at the lowest resolution possible, 1024x600
updating .net framework to 4.6.2 right now tho, hoping that helps.
nope not even a little, first time i booted up 1.3.3 and i used a new character and world. had 10 fps single player :/

Last edited:
I've tried the frame skip option and it helps, but it's not great. Once things get hectic, like blood moon/solar eclipse or several bosses, then things drop to 5fps. Usually my fps is around 40 on single player but then drops to 20 on multiplayer, and 5 or less during those hectic times.

I've got 3gigs of ram with 1.8GHz cpu, ATI Radeon 2600HD
Running at the lowest resolution possible, 1024x600
updating .net framework to 4.6.2 right now tho, hoping that helps.
nope not even a little, first time i booted up 1.3.3 and i used a new character and world. had 10 fps single player :/
You do not meet the requirements for max settings, this is why you have issues.

I'm experiencing issues as well, from time to time my game just drop to 30fps, it can happen between 1min-3hours and then I have to restart Terraria for it to run at 60fps again.

i7 5820k
16GB DDR4
Radeon HD6970
W10

I had the same issue when I had a i7 950, 12GB DDR3,the same graphic card and W7 and then W10.
Very strange...

You do not meet the requirements for max settings, this is why you have issues.
Lowest resolution possible, everything as low as I can get it. If you read my previous posts in this thread you'll see where I said that on my first day of playing the game it was running at 60 fps just fine.

Hello.
My PC config is AMD Phenom II x4 925 running at 3.4 GHz with 8 GB RAM and GTX650 2 GB VRAM. Using up-to-date Windows 10 x64 and latest Nvdia drivers.
Terraria is SLOW even when I set low image quality. Changing multicore lighting option does nothing to fps.
Changing light type to anything that is not "white" or "color" drops fps even more.
I tried to play with frameskip option on or off, when its off the game's playback is slow but when its on I have framerate drop to something about 40 fps.
This occurs when my "fortress" is on the screen.
I though maybe I overdid something with lights but then I removed a lot, and that changed nothing.
I asked my friend to visit my world and check the performance, and he says its fine. His PC specs are about the same, maybe a little bit lower. I also visited his world and its also showed lags.

I also tried replacing my GTX650 with GT240 and with integrated AMD 3000 GPU but there wasn't really a big difference. Intergated is slower, of course, but still playable if I lower the resolution to something about 720p...

How it looks: it not just stable 40-45 frames per second, animations and screen scroll is "jerky", actually 40, even 30 fps can give you pretty smooth gameplay, but in my situation its very hard to play at all. Especially when some hardcore game event is coming...

And gameplay become smooth when I walk away from my "fortress" for about 1-2 screens.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

p.s. I checked temperatures, hard drives, coolers, background processes, viruses... Nothing. And please note, the game runs smoothly when I'm away from "home".
So its like too many objects or something... I don't know what's happening.
Here is a screenshot. I don't think its too complex to render...
Capture 2016-10-31 18_53_57.png

Hello again.
I decided to install Mint Linux and try the game there.
At first it was also a bit jerky but when I enabled Compiz and set quality to low it started to give something about 50-60 fps.
Too bad I hate linux :)

Last edited:
It would be nice if someone from the team actually had any input.
As of now it's just a collaboration or users with issues that no one has any answer for(except the obvious regular performance issues).
It's not like it should lag with a 2015 i7, Radeon 6970 with 16RAM....

i found out that if i turn off battery saver on my computer the game speeds up to normal speed and i dont even need frame skip

This is good to know. Added to my documents.

Most of the time, its settings that cause the drop, and these settings can be things just like this or others. I suggest you scope out all your settings from graphic cards to system setting before anything. This is why we ask for all your information.

Back
Top Bottom