Games that disappointed you the most?

Kaiju

Skeletron
With the current quality of a lot of titles being pushed out today, I'm surprised this thread wasn't made already.

For me, I'd say Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, Godzilla for the Ps4, and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage.

THPS5 was a train wreck, and I'm sad that the THPS series has to go out with a game like that (Tony Hawk's contract with Activision to make games ends this year). I really hope that people just return the game instead of waiting out for it to be fixed, because it won't. No matter how much Robomodo tries, they cannot fix the game. The free DLC Activision is releasing isn't worth it either. Playing as Lil Wayne? What the hell?

Godzilla was the reason I bought my PS4, along with Bloodborne. I was optimistic about it, since the trilogy of Godzilla games before it were so good (Destroy All Monsters: Melee, Save the Earth, Unleashed), how could they mess it up? They already have a decent formula to build off.
They did. First off, who thought it was a good idea for Godzilla's tail to clip through buildings? When you turn around in a group of buildings or something, anything your tail hits should get damaged or destroyed. Or at least, have it collide with them. The graphics were mediocre, and at the best were on the level of early XBOX 360 and PS3 games. The movement of Godzilla is abysmal as well. I understand they were trying to translate his movement in movies to controls, but that was a god awful idea. The only way to get around is to constantly use the charging attack, since Godzilla moves around at the speed of molasses. What was wrong with the movement in the fighting games before it? I thought that there would be at least one redeeming factor to it, maybe I could use it as a party game. Here comes the most unforgivable of the sins of this game: no local multiplayer. It's hard to put in to words how bizarre it is to leave a feature like this out. Do people interact so little with each other in real life that local multiplayer needs to be fazed out?

After all that, I don't feel like explaining in detail Fist of the North Star. I just can't fathom how the source material and the gameplay style didn't mesh with each other. It sucks.

- Doom 3. ID Software went on and on about how awesome it was going to be to have a "better Doom" but instead delivered a sub par-for-its-time Doom 1 which replaced "bad" 2D graphics with worse 3D graphics, added new mechanics which only made the game more annoying, not more challenging ("Sorry imps, can't shoot at you because my oxygen meter is being a :red: again and I gotta run for the airlock!") and a generally forgettable overall experience.

- Dynasty Warriors 6. Not a bad game in itself, but after Dynasty Warriors 4 and 5 and Samurai Warriors 2 for PC, I was expecting another good DW game but got a game where combat was watered down and the plot was a trainwreck - only actually enjoyable part of the game was to have Lu Bu's story mode, where he jumped into the most important battles in the game and screwed around with both sides of the battle, and ended up fighting "everyone" at the same time in the final battle. But still, Lu Bu was so OP in that game, even when he was a PC, that those stages were just amusing because of the dialogue, not the challenge.

- Skullgirls. Heard a lot of good things about this game, about how it "redefined" fighting games or how it brought "fresh ideas." When I played it, however, I found out it was yet another Street Fighter clone not being honest with itself, and what it "added" was neither fresh, nor did it redefine a thing as far as beat'em up games go.

- Daikatana. The best example of why games should not be thrown into the hype mill if you know you're going to take a :red:load of time to develop them. It took them many years to develop a game that would have been ground-breaking and innovating if it had been released the year it was started.

Probably, as of now (and off the top of my head) the only ones I can really think of is Elder Scrolls: Online, and Destiny.

Elder Scrolls: Online could have been a great game. However, I feel the multiplayer style the went for wasn't the right one. The Elder Scrolls formula could work really well in a smaller-scale Co-Op game (maybe 4 players max), but instead they went for an MMO. It didn't really work. It lacked the freedom of being able to pick up everything and mess with everything to your heart's content (I loved collecting things in Skyrim and Oblivion), the story was a bit 'meh' (although the writing was better than Skyrim), the PvP was unbalanced (It's unlocked at level 10, and it's the highest tier area in the game), so you had to go through practically the whole game in order to have a chance, the weapons are unbalanced (Bows are useless. Bows were my favourite weapon), and some strategies don't even work (if an enemy loses you or runs too far from where it started, it regains all health, and is invulnerable while it runs away to where it started, meaning stealth doesn't work). And then there's the classic "MMO grind" thing. It wouldn't be all that long of a game, if each of the campaigns weren't littered with level-blocks that you have to grind for days to remove. They didn't follow the Elder Scrolls formula, and it just doesn't work as an Elder Scrolls game because of it. Also, no Bethesda glitches or Bethesda mountain climbing to be found here.

Destiny, well, I'm sure most of you know why. Great game, for the short time it lasted. The gameplay is fine, but the game is short as hell. I wanted to play it more, but the fact it was all grinding for the "best items" (Which is a crap system to go for in a game like this), with excessive RNG. Even then, the multiplayer PvP was limited, to say the least. Limited map choice, and there's "best items", which throws off any balancing. And then, of course, there's the elephant in the room: the game was unfinished when it was released. Even if the DLC fixes all that, I'm not buying it. If the game had more content on release, I would have loved it. But, at this point, I'm not going to touch it for a fair while now.

Skyrim. I heard from everyone that it was great, even my brother said it was great, so I bought it on Steam and played it, but I found myself growing bored in the first couple hours. And that was after I fixed the graphics enough that I could look at it without feeling physically ill. Dunno why I could never get into it, maybe it just starts off really slow and gets better later (I've managed to get through plenty of other games that are like that, though), but I just cannot feel invested in it at all.

Star wars: the force unleashed 2

Amazing gameplay, incredible graphics, but took about 2 hours to beat. I think that's the definition of a dissapointment.

Duke Nukem Forever.

The trailer looked amazing.
The game was Sonic 06 with Duke Nukem poorly taped onto it.

(Nintendo DS) Lego star wars part 4, 5 and 6 (sorry, can't remember the name of it)

This game...its beyond glitchy...I can't even do a level without it glitching, meaning that I couldnt complete it 100% (not even safe from glitches on the main title screen o_O )

Back
Top Bottom