Biomes & Nature Give The Ocean A Little Love

Should we add new discoveries to the ocean biome.

• Add new stuff to ocean biome like Neptunes castle, or sunken ship etc.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Leave it as it is.

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
The ocean is fine as it is right now.
It has its own items, its own enemies, its own boss, and it is used to summon an event.
It has its own tree type, specials blocks and even an NPC spawn.

As I've already said, The underwater chest is NOT an ocean-specific chest, It can spawn in every other biome provided there's an adequate water source. It does technically have it's own enemies, The problem is It lacks any implications on Hardmode, Or even pre-hardmode for that matter. Yes Duke Fishron is there, But do you see any Hardmode enemies? No.

Even the forest biome gets stronger enemies, The ocean gets none of these. (Any Wraith's or Wandering Eye's that spawn are just carry overs from the Forest Biome).

The point of this from what I've collected, The Ocean Biome simply has no real use in game aside from the slight chance people go there very early on, (Which I highly doubt ever happens without any prior knowledge to what lies at the Ocean Biome), Or at the very end of the game if people simply want to battle Duke Fishron, And as somebody stated is a completely avoidable boss. (I had no idea Duke Fishron even existed until a friend pointed it out to me)

What we want is some ACTUAL use out of the Ocean Biome. "It has it own trees, and NPC". Have fun beating the entire game with Palm wood and a quest NPC.

Last edited:
As I've already said, The underwater chest is NOT an ocean-specific chest, It can spawn in every other biome provided there's an adequate water source. It does technically have it's own enemies, The problem is It lacks any implications on Hardmode, Or even pre-hardmode for that matter. Yes Duke Fishron is there, But do you see any Hardmode enemies? No.

Even the forest biome gets stronger enemies, The ocean gets none of these. (Any that spawn are just carry overs).

The point of this from what I've collected, The Ocean Biome simply has no real use in game aside from the slight chance people go there very early on, (Which I highly doubt ever happens without any prior knowledge to what lies at the Ocean Biome), Or at the very end of the game if people simply want to battle Duke Fishron, And as somebody stated is a completely avoidable boss. (I had no idea Duke Fishron even existed until a friend pointed it out to me)

What we want is some ACTUAL use out of the Ocean Biome. "It has it own trees, and NPC". Have fun beating the entire game with Palm wood and a quest NPC.
Its not that hard...
You can also fully skip the ice biome, so what?
Same for the dungeon, you don't NEED to go there, you go there because you want to.
You can also skip Eye of Cthulhu as long as you have less then 3 NPCs, you can handle with even just two.
Currently the Brain of Cthulhu and the Eater of world can also be skipped if you manage to catch a river shark by fishing.
Speaking of fishing, you don't need that as well, but its pretty much a big deal considering you can skip going underground at all.
Golem is also not a must have, you just don't fight him.

There are a LOT of places that do not require going to or things that are not required doing, these are all EXTENSIONS, so don't use the argument "you don't go there", because the pirate map and the Neptunes shell are kind of a big deal you know, and shark fins also have a nice use.

The Ocean is as good as it is, that's my opinion, and I still don't support this suggestion.

Its not that hard...
You can also fully skip the ice biome, so what?
Same for the dungeon, you don't NEED to go there, you go there because you want to.
You can also skip Eye of Cthulhu as long as you have less then 3 NPCs, you can handle with even just two.
Currently the Brain of Cthulhu and the Eater of world can also be skipped if you manage to catch a river shark by fishing.
Speaking of fishing, you don't need that as well, but its pretty much a big deal considering you can skip going underground at all.
Golem is also not a must have, you just don't fight him.

There are a LOT of places that do not require going to or things that are not required doing, these are all EXTENSIONS, so don't use the argument "you don't go there", because the pirate map and the Neptunes shell are kind of a big deal you know, and shark fins also have a nice use.

The Ocean is as good as it is, that's my opinion, and I still don't support this suggestion.

With that logic we could skip everything entirely because in theory it's possible to beat the Wall of Flesh with a sword that only deals one damage.

The difference with those biomes are that if players choose to explore them, There is some of "Greater reward", Exploring the underground of forest/normal Biomes can grant Heart Crystals and Golden chests with various useful items.

- Snow biome can also grant helpful things like the Blizzard In A Bottle, Or the Snowball Cannon. (I went into hardmode using this turret on my first playthrough of the 1.2 update)

- Dungeon grants access to useful items, On top of Shadow Chests for more useful things.

- The bosses can grant decent loot which can be used for Variant respecs, And "an extra backpack".

The ocean though, It just lacks everything. I mean I'd get that based on the way it currently is, Going underwater briefly to get very good items would be rather easy, But they could implement something like they did with the Desert. Add "Water Temples" underneath that are completely submerged, Players would have to manuver through these for loot at the bottom. Things like the Breathing Reed and Scuba Helmet would help reach the bottom. (Putting some use on items that can be found in the Ocean Biome)

I do agree with you, the ocean structure wise needs some updating. The ocean as a whole though has a fair bit of content.

I say we should add the following
- Making Seaweed (from fishing) placeable and natural spawn
- Mermaids.
- A yellow/bluish/greenish/redish sparkling ore
Those are probably all they need to give it life - Ore - so people will visit it. Mermaids - Probably will have good loot - Seaweed - Nice Decor

I say we should add the following
- Making Seaweed (from fishing) placeable and natural spawn
- Mermaids.
- A yellow/bluish/greenish/redish sparkling ore
Those are probably all they need to give it life - Ore - so people will visit it. Mermaids - Probably will have good loot - Seaweed - Nice Decor

Rather than ore, Killing a Mermaid would drop a Sparkling scale of a random colour. Not sure what you could use them for though.

Not everything needs its own use.
Like I stated before, the Reaver Shark, allows you to skip mining for demonite/Crimtane, and guess where you fish it? In the ocean.
Also not every accessory needs an entire structure to be used, and the breathing reed.flippers are not useless at all.
Why do you need Ice Skates in the underworld? You don't you need it only for the ice biome, same for the things water chests spawn, they give you water related items.

Great reward? Consider the pirate map a greate reward, which may give you the Cutlass, discount card, lucky coin, the coin gun, golden furniture and a crapton of money.

And by decent loot, what do you mean when refering to the Eater of World, Eye of Cthulhu and the Brain of Cthulhu?
They only give you ore and spare you some painful mining, which is later used for more mining, which can easily be replaced by simply fishing.

Also what I said before is not theory, it has been done already, numerous times.

I'd rather have the team focus on the desert biome. The ocean has its own boss, its own invasion, its own type of wood, access to shark fins for the megashark, and its own NPC which has a huge mechanic tied to it that allows you to get good potions. Did I mention the fish you can catch? If anything more gets added to the oceans, it should be purely asthetic, like more backround objects. The desert, ice, and hallow biomes have no bosses at all, so those should get some love first.

I'd rather have the team focus on the desert biome. The ocean has its own boss, its own invasion, its own type of wood, access to shark fins for the megashark, and its own NPC which has a huge mechanic tied to it that allows you to get good potions. Did I mention the fish you can catch? If anything more gets added to the oceans, it should be purely asthetic, like more backround objects. The desert, ice, and hallow biomes have no bosses at all, so those should get some love first.

The hallow and Ice Biome I'm a calling Bs on. While they both don't technically have a boss. (What biome catagory do the three original Hardmode bosses fall under anyways? They could spawn in any biome)

The Ice Biome, On top of enabling unlimited ranged objects to help players early on, The Ice Chests can provide a replacement for the Hermes Boots and Cloud in a Bottle, Two highly used accessories per-hardmode. Even after hardmode, The Ice Biome properly adjusts. Ice Mimics can provide players with better gear, That and Frost Golems with the rather generous ranged armour.

The Hallow Biome is does have those Souls of Light, And the Rainbow Gun assuming you've been able to find a key. It's a pain at first to traverse, But once you've acquired Cobalt armour (Or you may not even need that if you managed to acquire something like a Demon Scythe or Minishark), You can easily stock up on souls and gets a decent set of items. Just requires a little boss killing.

The desert on the other hand, It's basically where the Ocean is at. Desert has the Pyramid-tomb thing which can grant players items early on, And the ocean biome has an NPC. That's really it, Both are lacking after that point. Only real differences is the Desert is capable of spawning hardmode enemies, Although they really aren't anything substantial. And the ocean is capable of spawning bosses, But again that's not until end-game.

(And the Cactus do count as biome-specific tree like Palm wood)

The Desert in Hardmode has a bit more adventure. We have Scorpions (Which I think we should turn them a bit bigger and agressive) We have Vultures, We have Antlions and Mummies. We are lacking things visually, we have plenty of stuff we can get in desert.

From normal, Dark, and Light Mummies:
Mummy Banner
Mummy costume
From normal Mummies:

Fast Clock
From Dark Mummies:

Dark Shard
Megaphone
Blindfold
From Light Mummies:

Light Shard
Megaphone
Trifold Map
From Shadow Mummies:

Shadow Mummy Banner
Console_only.png

Dark Shard

From Antlions:
Antlion Banner
Antlion Mandible
From Vulture:

Vulture Banner
From vegetation:

Cactus
Waterleaf
From the terrain:

Sand Block
Ebonsand Block
Crimsand Block
Pearlsand Block

The Desert in Hardmode has a bit more adventure. We have Scorpions (Which I think we should turn them a bit bigger and agressive) We have Vultures, We have Antlions and Mummies. We are lacking things visually, we have plenty of stuff we can get in desert.

From normal, Dark, and Light Mummies:
Mummy Banner
Mummy costume
From normal Mummies:

Fast Clock
From Dark Mummies:

Dark Shard
Megaphone
Blindfold
From Light Mummies:

Light Shard
Megaphone
Trifold Map
From Shadow Mummies:

Shadow Mummy Banner
Console_only.png

Dark Shard

From Antlions:
Antlion Banner
Antlion Mandible
From Vulture:

Vulture Banner
From vegetation:

Cactus
Waterleaf
From the terrain:

Sand Block
Ebonsand Block
Crimsand Block
Pearlsand Block
Most of those items can be found easier in other places, and the ones that can't are pretty useless. Dao of pow is ok I guess, but it gets outdated quick. Also, even though pyramids sound cool, I have spent 300 hours playing this game and have never found a single pyramid. I guess antilion mandibles can make mining potions, but that's all. So yeah, the desert needs more content.

Most of those items can be found easier in other places, and the ones that can't are pretty useless. Dao of pow is ok I guess, but it gets outdated quick. Also, even though pyramids sound cool, I have spent 300 hours playing this game and have never found a single pyramid. I guess antilion mandibles can make mining potions, but that's all. So yeah, the desert needs more content.

That thing was pretty awesome before 1.2, Same goes for the Sand Gun. Used to the fastest method of spreading Corruption or Hallow. Shame they are outdated, I still rather like the Sandgun.

Do you also think making the ocean biome bigger would help to add these structures and such because the ocean biome are very very small and real life oceans are pretty big, the ocean biome is more of a tropical pond.

I think that the Ocean needs better music. If I remember, it's just the forest theme in the game. They should make it really Jamaican/Hawain themed.

I think that the Ocean needs better music. If I remember, it's just the forest theme in the game. They should make it really Jamaican/Hawain themed.
Yeah I just realized it doesn't have its own music every other biome has their own music.

Uhh, have you ever even been to the ocean? It has its own music that is one of my favorite songs in the game!
The music isn't that much different from the others it seems like it could be better, and make it seem you"re on a beach. Or Hawaii music. You know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom