Other Giving Vanilla Terraria Servers a small facelift

Do you like this suggestion!

• Hey, that's pretty good!

• Well, technically, uh, nah.

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkyCommision

Duke Fishron
At the moment, Vanilla Terraria Servers (downloaded from the forums or ran from the game files) are unreliable.
I administrate and manage an update-seasonal server called TeamTerraria - the primary goal of this server is to provide a vanilla gameplay experience without any mods, plugins, or advantages - completely clean Terraria.
However, through my years of managing the server, I've found that although /kick and (more recently) /ban are available, there is no way to allow other players to do so, meaning that if the host (thanks @Raxdiam) is not online and not aware of what is happening on the vanilla server, this can create devastation for minutes, or even hours until the host is back.
My suggestion provides a simple, yet still vanilla way to manage the server to it's bare minimum.
/HELP
  • All players have access to "/help".
  • This text is shown when a player (not admin or OP) types /help:
/help | Shows this text.
/playing | Tells the amount of people on the server.
/maxplayers | Tells the maximum of players allowed on the server.
/motd | View the Message of the Day.
/diceroll | Rolls a die, between 0-100.
/me | Displays your name, then your message. Usage:
/me <message>
/
clearchat | Erases all lines of chat on your display.
/msg <"playername"> | Sends a private message (no one else can see it but you and them!) to "playername".

ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS

Upon the server being run for the first time, the server console creates an "adminlist.txt" in the folder it is curently in, listing all players that have been given
administrative permissions.
Administrators, in addition to the usual /help, also have these commands available:
/
/admin <"playername"> | Gives "name" adminstrative permissions. Typing /admin <"playername"> again will revoke admin access.
/kick <"playername"> | Disconnects "playername" from the server. They can join back if they wish.
/ban <"playername"> <"seconds"> | Blocks "playername" from the server, never to enter again. They can still join with another character. They will be banned for a number of "seconds" if something is entered in the "seconds" field.
/ipban <"playername"> | Blocks "playername" from the server, never to enter again. They cannot join again unless they use a different computer.
/unban <"playername"> | Lifts the ban on "playername".
/password | Shows the password of the server to you.
/say <"words"> | Says "words" to all players in chat. Your name will have the <Admin> tag before it.

OPERATOR PERMISSIONS

Operators have almost all of the same commands as the commands in the console. Like admins, creating a server for the first time generates "operatorlist.txt" in the
folder it is currently in, listing all operators of the server.
Along with the admin's commands and the usual /help, they have these commands:

/password <"new password"> | Replaces the old password with the "new password".
/version | Prints the version number.
/motd <"motd"> | Replaces the old MOTD with the new "motd".
/say <"words"> | Says "words" to all players in chat. Your name will have the <Operator> tag before it.
/dawn | Changes the world time to 4:30 AM.
/noon | Changes the world time to 12:00 PM.
/dusk | Changes the world time to 7:30 PM.
/midnight | Changes the world time to 12:00 AM.
/settle | Settles all water.

/save | Saves the server world.
/port | Lists the server port.

/exit | Closes the server.
/exit-nosave | Shuts down the server without saving.

PERMS.TXT

Upon first=time server running, it will also create a file called "perms.txt".
Each line has a command, followed by which types of people may use said command.
Partial example.
/help - players, admins, operators
/playing - players, admins, operators
(skip ahead)
/midnight - operators
/port - operators

And so on, and so forth.
That about wraps it up, tell me what you think.

I really need to get this off of my chest.
TShock, at least to me, is extremely unreliable at times.
Though it does provide the power to admin and OP players, set damage caps, and allow mods to be installed, TShock can be unusable in vanilla situations I described at the beginning, such as unpurposely freezing and stoning players due to high damage output. I know that someone out there was abotu to ask about TSHock, and there's your answer.

Last edited:
Maybe instead of having /ban ban the person forever have it as /ban <playername> <number> and have them banned for <number> amount of hours, while having /pban (perma-ban) or something if you want to ban them forever?

Back
Top Bottom