Weapons & Equip Gliders

Gaelon

Official Terrarian
A while back, I made a suggestion to add gliders to the game.
Dedicated item slot, or maybe mounts, can't go beyond walking speed on the ground while active, jumping makes you glide in the direction you're facing, etc. The earlygame ones would just be low-control jump extensions and fall damage immunity, while the late game would have dashes, or extra speed, and they'd glide for longer.
At most points in the game, it would just be a novelty, like the pogo stick and kites, but I'd love to see them in the game. This update seems to be good for this kind of thing, so if you like the idea, give it a like, and maybe Red will see it.

You could also make heat-emitting blocks (meteor, hellstone etc.) create thermals that raise you a few tiles higher up in the air.
That sounds brilliant! Seriously, while *I* want these for the novelty, the potential for map builders (or Skyblock) would be huge, and updrafts would really improve the fun there.

you mind spriting some of these.

personally I think something like a Harpy Feather Glider would be cool
I'll see what I can do. The attachment up top is one I sprited, the Ark Sailer. Anyone else can sprite some and put them up, too.

Here's the Harpy Glider. What do you think? Anything else I should try?

Attachments

• Harpy Glider V1.png
    Harpy Glider V1.png
    514 bytes · Views: 25
It would be interesting, like a hardmode version of an umbrella almost

This just looks like the harpy wing then copied and flipped
Essentially. I couldn't put the file from the wiki into my sprite editor, so I just opened two windows and got the colors as close as I could.
I'd tried a more glider-shaped one, but it looked a little... eh. I'm not very practiced.
The Ark Sailer also has the Arkhalis built into the middle of it, and its animation is just the swinging animation from the sword.

Last edited:
This one's a little more original, and definitely more mundane. It would be the first glider, made of silk and wood. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1000002284.png
    1000002284.png
    399 bytes · Views: 14
And here's an alternative early one, made from leather and wood. (Have to fight some Eaters.)

Attachments

• Leather Glider.png
    Leather Glider.png
    508 bytes · Views: 17
There are a few of these glider ideas, but I feel like they could be more interesting than just slow-fall. I'm guessing these suggestions are based on Zelda BOTW and TOTK, so what I'm about to suggest doesn't really line up with that, but it would be fun if they worked like a 'swooping' kind of gliding.
I'm not sure how to explain it, so I'll just give a few examples...
If you played Mario 64, then the Wing Cap.
If you played Minecraft not too many years ago, the Elytra.
Mario Kart 7, the glider. (It's in Mario Kart 8, too, but much less dynamic)
Zelda TOTK, the Wing Zonai Device (without fans attached.)
This would actually be a good fit pre-HM anyway, because it shouldn't be able to give you any extra vertical height. You could dynamically change your speed by diving and rising...
Just take this into consideration, anyway. Probably wouldn't be useful for bosses in this form, but it'd be really fun to explore the world like that.

There are a few of these glider ideas, but I feel like they could be more interesting than just slow-fall. I'm guessing these suggestions are based on Zelda BOTW and TOTK, so what I'm about to suggest doesn't really line up with that, but it would be fun if they worked like a 'swooping' kind of gliding.
I'm not sure how to explain it, so I'll just give a few examples...
If you played Mario 64, then the Wing Cap.
If you played Minecraft not too many years ago, the Elytra.
Mario Kart 7, the glider. (It's in Mario Kart 8, too, but much less dynamic)
Zelda TOTK, the Wing Zonai Device (without fans attached.)
This would actually be a good fit pre-HM anyway, because it shouldn't be able to give you any extra vertical height. You could dynamically change your speed by diving and rising...
Just take this into consideration, anyway. Probably wouldn't be useful for bosses in this form, but it'd be really fun to explore the world like that.
That's the kind of motion I'm thinking, though the more advanced ones would have either straighter flight or better-controlled swooping. And some would have special abilities, but they're more for novelty and fun than for practicality. Admittedly, I don't think this'll make it into the game, but I still want it to.
I haven't played any Zelda newer than Twilight Princess, so it's not BOTW or TOTK. The elytra and Wing Cap are closer to what I was thinking, but not quite right.

This is more evidence of my lack of spriting skills, but what if the Traveling Merchant sold a dragon glider like the ones used in dragon dances? Essentially a kite, but with some gliding. Of course, the glide time would be based off of when it first becomes available.

Attachments

• Dragon Glider .png
    Dragon Glider .png
    306 bytes · Views: 22
Dedicated item slot, or maybe mounts, can't go beyond walking speed on the ground while active, jumping makes you glide in the direction you're facing, etc. The earlygame ones would just be low-control jump extensions and fall damage immunity, while the late game would have dashes, or extra speed, and they'd glide for longer.
At most points in the game, it would just be a novelty, like the pogo stick and kites, but I'd love to see them in the game. This update seems to be good for this kind of thing, so if you like the idea, give it a like, and maybe Red will see it.
Would it work kinda like the umbrella?

Would it work kinda like the umbrella?
Sort of, but with some notable differences. I think, to differentiate between them, the glider would need to fold up/unequip/whatever when you hit a wall. It would be better for long horizontal distances, but it wouldn't be very useful for hellevators and the like. And maybe there would be updrafts from fire blocks, and downdrafts from rain clouds.
I think to control speed, you would need to tilt up and down, similar to the kwad racer. There wouldn't be direct motion control, like with umbrellas and wings.

soooo: Items - Glider: pre hardmode "wings"

Back
Top Bottom