Game Mechanics GUI Scale Option

PythonGB

Skeletron
Hello fellow Terrarians!

I've found myself wanting to play Terraria in fullscreen mode in 1080p for my YouTube stuffs but I've wound up avoiding it because there's no GUI scale options anywhere. When I say GUI scale, I am, of course, referring to the size of the hotbar, life and mana bars, accessories area, inventory and so on. I feel like they're a bit on the small side if you play Terraria at a resolution larger than 720p (1280 x 720). The reason I'm not the biggest fan of uploading 1080p Terraria is because if people don't have too good of an internet connection and wind up watching the video at a lower resolution, they might have trouble understanding/reading what's in peoples' inventories or how much they have of one item, etc.

I understand there are mods which allow the up-scaling/down-scaling of the user interface but I feel like it'd be a nice addition to the game if there was some sort of toggle button or slider bar which adjusts the size of the user interface for Terraria so, for example, I can play Terraria at 1080p and still have the same size user interface than if I were to run the game at 720p.

I hope I've done a good enough job of explaining my suggestion. I know that the user interface is one of the main aspects the developers are focusing on for 1.3 so I thought this would be a nice, yet (hopefully) simple addition for the game.

Thanks for taking the time to read this my friends! :)

I don't know why this isn't already a thing, really.
seal-of-approval-meme.jpg

I personally think they're large enough as they are, but I don't see why not. You have my support.

They might be if you're sitting close to the screen but as I game in the lounge I have to turn the resolution down.

And while the game looks good on lower resolutions (suits the retro feel) it would be nice, even if only on occasions like boss fights, to switch it up to 1080 sometimes and still be able to see the GUI.

A HUD setting like; 150%, 175%, or 200%, in the settings menu would be awesome.

I definitely agree that there should be an accessible slider to modify the GUI size, and I'm simultaneously asking myself why this actually hasn't yet appeared in the game. When I used to play Minecraft, I found the scale very handy. I'd imagine if this were to be implemented, then it would be a lot more smooth and customizable than simple 'presets'.

They might be if you're sitting close to the screen but as I game in the lounge I have to turn the resolution down.

And while the game looks good on lower resolutions (suits the retro feel) it would be nice, even if only on occasions like boss fights, to switch it up to 1080 sometimes and still be able to see the GUI.

A HUD setting like; 150%, 175%, or 200%, in the settings menu would be awesome.

Yeah, exactly! I feel like I can get more immersed in a game if I'm playing it fullscreen at the highest possible resolution, in my case being 1080p :D

I definitely agree that there should be an accessible slider to modify the GUI size, and I'm simultaneously asking myself why this actually hasn't yet appeared in the game. When I used to play Minecraft, I found the scale very handy. I'd imagine if this were to be implemented, then it would be a lot more smooth and customizable than simple 'presets'.

Yeah, I find that feature useful in Minecraft as well. It's one I use fairly often. :)

Yeah, exactly! I feel like I can get more immersed in a game if I'm playing it fullscreen at the highest possible resolution, in my case being 1080p :D

Yeah, I find that feature useful in Minecraft as well. It's one I use fairly often. :)
Well, you've done a mighty good job of suggesting this. I do really hope this comes to the attention of a developer as this is more of an idea that is extremely necessary and option-based, rather than the occasional weapon idea.

but I'm afraid ill be playing with the GUI scale more than the actual game like i do in Minecraft...
NAAAAHHHH
Personally i don't really think this is super necessary, as i can clearly see everything except for the eyepatch, and i can see your hotbar fine on youtube
I don't really think this needs to be added, sorry

but I'm afraid ill be playing with the GUI scale more than the actual game like i do in Minecraft...
NAAAAHHHH
Personally i don't really think this is super necessary, as i can clearly see everything except for the eyepatch, and i can see your hotbar fine on youtube
It's not just about his YT videos, he's suggesting it for the necessity of others, that's what suggestions normally aim for. As for me, my opinion remains clear.

NAAAAHHHH

That's because I'm recording and playing at 720p Windowed. As I said in the original post, I've avoided upgrading to recording and playing in full 1080p because I feel the GUI is too small and people with lower-end connections might have trouble seeing what's in the inventory and the quantity of each item. Not just YouTubers either, I'm sure other people would find some sort of use from this feature if added. :)

Everyone's entitled to their opinion though, I respect that.

I support this.

After upgrading from a 768p to 1440p monitor, I discovered just how annoyingly small the GUI becomes, so I went back to 768p for Terraria. Not fond of the "is that a copper ore or a copper helmet"? feel of microscopical GUIs.

I support this.

After upgrading from a 768p to 1440p monitor, I discovered just how annoyingly small the GUI becomes, so I went back to 768p for Terraria. Not fond of the "is that a copper ore or a copper helmet"? feel of microscopical GUIs.

Yeah, I agree with that. I just feel that with the increasing resolutions available with monitors today and in future, a GUI scale option would suit nicely :)
[DOUBLEPOST=1421665611][/DOUBLEPOST]
My thoughts exactly.

In the interim, does anybody know of any mods that have this feature?

I believe the Gameiki mod does it. Hero uses it for his LP and has the option of changing how big the GUI is. :)

I actually play terraria on 1080p with no problems whatsoever, but i guess it's because my sight is quite good.
Nonetheless, i totally approve this idea.

It can be a little tiring for your eyes playing like me for too much time....

A very helpful idea. I myself aren't a famous YouTuber like you, so I never really experienced the problem like the way you have.

Quick question: Is your suggestion going to give a font size scale option too? If not, add that if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom