Hallow Pronunciation - It's not Hollow, right?

Terrablitz

Terrarian
I've been ticked off again and again by people pronouncing Hallow as Hollow. It's clearly Hal - Oh, and that is the only pronunciation that is correct, according to Google. This begs the question, why are people choosing to say Hollow over the correct pronunciation? Hallow means holy, and the Hallow biome is holy, as it is the opposite of the Corruption, which is unholy. It is not hollow.

Please tell me why this pronunciation was even used in the first place.

I assume accent? People say words wrong all the time, or get sayings wrong, and that's sometimes how language evolves.

Like, people say could care less, when the correct version is couldn't care less.

It could also technically be considered an allusion to the nature of the Hallow, though I doubt it's intentional.

I guess it’s like how most people seem to pronounce Boise wrong. And sometimes once you get used to saying it wrong it’s hard to stop. I still pronounce hallow wrong half the time even though I know it’s incorrect. Old habits die hard.

I've been ticked off again and again by people pronouncing Hallow as Hollow. It's clearly Hal - Oh, and that is the only pronunciation that is correct, according to Google. This begs the question, why are people choosing to say Hollow over the correct pronunciation? Hallow means holy, and the Hallow biome is holy, as it is the opposite of the Corruption, which is unholy. It is not hollow.

Please tell me why this pronunciation was even used in the first place.
maybe bri'ish people?

It's derivative of Hallowed, so you'd pronounce it like you would the start of Halloween, however you choose to pronounce that.

The reason people say Hollow is because Hollow is what you get if you say Hallow without annunciating properly. The same reason people say "Ey.:

Back
Top Bottom