Blocks & Decoration Have walls include foreground coverage.

DJFlare84

Mechanic
Imagine you're in a city you've built and the buildings look like they're made of solid wood with the exception of some glass windows. Every so often you see an NPC walking by in one of these windows.

Now, of course, we can't do this in Terraria, because everything is in X-ray vision.

... but we could EASILY make this happen.

The idea? Cause "walls" to include foreground coverage that is seen whenever the player is outside these walls.

Then simply make the walls transparent again when the player is inside!

Thoughts?

Imagine you're in a city you've built and the buildings look like they're made of solid wood with the exception of some glass windows. Every so often you see an NPC walking by in one of these windows.

Now, of course, we can't do this in Terraria, because everything is in X-ray vision.

... but we could EASILY make this happen.

The idea? Cause "walls" to include foreground coverage that is seen whenever the player is outside these walls.

Then simply make the walls transparent again when the player is inside!

Thoughts?
I kinda like this idea :)

I always wanted something like this, but i think it would be weird. I think we would need an entire extra foreground layer for it to work, as I normally add some extra design or patterns using the walls and having them in the outside wouldn't fit.

I always wanted something like this, but i think it would be weird. I think we would need an entire extra foreground layer for it to work, as I normally add some extra design or patterns using the walls and having them in the outside wouldn't fit.
Yeah it pretty much would. The way I imagine it working is that the foreground would only display a tile that matches an existing background tile.

So in perfectly empty space no foreground would be displayed, but say you put down a house with some wooden wall background. Then you'd have a house that displayed a wooden wall foreground anywhere the matching background wall had been placed.

So basically anytime you put down a wall you're also putting up a foreground piece.

It would be the same with naturally generated caves, too. You wouldn't see inside the cave until you actually got close to it (then some of the entrance would become semi transparent to let you know a cave was there), and then you'd walk inside and the foreground would vanish completely.

Terraria is a 2D game where you're supposed to see everything on the screen. It would be cool to see something like this in housing, but definitely not caves.

Maybe this might work if you add a housing option in the housing menu, but I don't see how it could be implemented.

Alright, so let's try and get a clearer concept of what the practice would look like:
  • I build a hollow box that's 11x11 and knocked out a place for a door/enterance. I've placed walls, lights and furniture and it becomes suitable housing.
  • Now under the housing tab where I can check and move and dedicate which NPC lives there I can also find an option to change the visual foreground effect that displays to players outside the house.
  • This tool requires me to select it and I get a hover-over interaction in the same way with moving NPCs but this will copy any tile/bock I click on, making the foreground of the suitable housing I'm standing in changed to a solid fill effect of it.
  • Specific types of things like fences are an exception and will display alone with the foreground fill-in effect.

This seems farcical and probably doesn't met the aesthetics people are trying to go for. A second method could look like this:

• I build a hollow box that's 11x11 and knocked out a place for a door/enterance. I've placed walls, lights and furniture and it becomes suitable housing.
  • Now under the housing tab where I can check and move and dedicate which NPC lives there I can also find an option to change wall placement when I place walls "on top of walls that are part of suitable hosing".
  • Ticking this option changes placement behaviour when I place walls when toggled on so that a second layer of foreground walls are placed.
  • These are only visible when the player is standing out side the hosing and breaking the housing will move these to the background and you need to break these walls to break the over layer behind.
  • Recreating a valid housing will change the behaviour of these back to foreground visual effects.
  • As long as this option is toggled on there's a building visual overlay cue that's similar to when one equips the accessory Ruler or Mechanical Ruler. This will shows which walls on screen have a foreground layer added to them.

The latter seems more apealing albeit tidious because you need to contantly exit to see what it looks like and reenter to change but there's far more control, the foreground don't have to be a solid fill-in of one block type.

Here's the problem with both or any other execution of foreground wall placement though - the coding.

Back
Top Bottom