Items Health and Mana Restricting Potions

What denominations for restrictions would be fun?

• 5 Hearts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 Hearts

• 15 Hearts

• 20 Hearts

• 1 Mana

• 5 Mana

• Other Health

• Other Mana

• Total voters

Zidane471

Terrarian
Going to be honest, I just could not think of a good title.

So I was reading a thread on later game gear causing early gear to be obsolete after certain points in the game. My play style dictates that I can use older gear if I want to simulate early game fights. For example, I might use adamant gear to fight a mech boss when I get bored grinding Moon Lord. My personal favorite is Pumpkin and Frost Moons with pre 1.3 gear. I'd like to think others do that just for fun as well. With that in mind I had a realization that there are only two things that cannot be restored once altered. These are Mana and Heart crystals.

I introduce the Health and Mana Restriction Potions. (Name is a Work In Progress, naming is not a specialty of mine.)

So the Health Restriction Potion has two variants both lasting 9 minutes. (1 Night)

1 - The New Adventurer Health Restriction Potion - Reverts the players Heart limit to 5, like the start of the game.

My recommended recipe is: (1) Bottled Water, (1) Deathweed, (1) Fireblossom, (1) Vial of Venom.

The reasoning for the Vial of Venom is to simulate a "Toxin" thus creating a poisoned healing potion. Deathweed and Fireblossom represent darkness and the underworld respectively, the closest thing to a "Toxin" in herb form I could find.

2 - The Experienced Adventurer Health Restriction Potion - Reverts the players Heart limit to 20, like before life fruit.

My recommended recipe is: (1) Greater Healing Potion, (1) Deathweed, (1) Fireblossom, (1) Vile of Venom.

The purpose of the ingredients is to simulate a "poisoned" Healing Potion.

Like the Health Restriction Potions the Mana Potion reduces the player's abilities to a minimum and lasts 9 minutes.

3 - The Mana Restriction Potion - Reverts the players Mana limit to 1, like the start of the game.

My recommended recipe is: (1) Bottled Water, (1) Deathweed, (1) Fireblossom, (1) Vial of Venom, (1) Fallen Star.

The reasoning here is simple, Health Restriction + Fallen Star = Mana Restriction.

All 3 of these potions are meant to be in hardmode only but, once in hardmode they are not meant to be hard to get. The primary purpose for all three is to provide extra challenge or to allow players to fight bosses as if it was their first encounter. These are meant to be fun, and players who don't want to use them don't have to.

As a whole they should be easy to implement as they use existing items, and at a basic level work the same as Lifeforce Potion only in reverse. The potion only sets the base for players, so Arcane, Mana Enhancing Gear and Lifeforce Potions still take effect based on the new life/mana limit. Finally, as with any other buff, these can be deactivated at will to restore the player's normal count. Should this happen the player's life/mana will not automatically increase to max, instead it will be where it was when the buff is deactivated.

The only obstacle I have encountered with this idea is specifically for the Experienced Adventurer Health Restriction Potion. Simply put, I don't know of a way to restrict the potions use only to players with at least 20 hearts. Technically speaking, it would be very unlikely that a player gets to and defeats Plantera without at least 20 hearts but, it is possible. And of course, there are editors and imports to deal with. So some mechanism would need to be in place to prevent a player with less than 20 hearts from using the potion to reach 20. Given my limited coding experience I don't know how feasible such a mechanism is.

So that is my idea. Questions, comments and criticism always welcome. Happy Adventuring.

Back
Top Bottom