Resolved Heavy lag when I try to get to my armor collection

Visce

Terrarian
Hello fellow Terrarians,

This is a little complicated to explain so please excuse the long text:
I have built a nice little armor collection in my world, but I can no longer get close to it since the framerate drops to close to zero. If I move my character towards the area the framerate drops from 60to screen stuck. I can now hold the D key to move away and my character will move in tiny steps, which takes him about 2-3minutes. After I leave the area everything is fine again

I sometimes pause with the game for quite some time but I always make copys of the world files so I can say for sure I played the last time on march, 15th 2019. I did not change anything on the system except the current updates that are installed automatically for windows and steam. When I played then I had some minor lags the first time I stepped into the area after I loaded the map. But no problems after that.

Attached is a screenshot from tEdit to show the area I can no longer access. I try to move in the horizontal tunnel below or in the area on the right side.

Sorry system screenshots are in German. I can give you the information you need manually

thank you for reading

Attachments

• screenshot.PNG
    screenshot.PNG
    433.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 149
Hello Visce,

What happens if you stay in the area for a while? Does your framerate recover eventually?

My first assumption is that the lag is caused by the game having to load in all armour sprites, the speed of which is bottlenecked by your hard drive. Once all armours are loaded, the framerate should recover again. If it doesn't, then there seems to be a different problem.

Let me know if you can get your framerate to recover after a while.

Hello Visce,

What happens if you stay in the area for a while? Does your framerate recover eventually?

My first assumption is that the lag is caused by the game having to load in all armour sprites, the speed of which is bottlenecked by your hard drive. Once all armours are loaded, the framerate should recover again. If it doesn't, then there seems to be a different problem.

This is exactly the same issue I had years ago. I've since stopped using mannequins because the lag spikes when loading the armors were huge. Sure, they loaded fine afterwards (for that session!) but having to avoid that area like the plague for fear of lag spikes kind of defeats the purpose of showcasing the armors.

Hello Visce,

Hey,

I teleported my character in the middle via RoD and set a timer. After about 20min I stopped the experiment with no "visible" framerate. Every movement of the mousecursor still took about 10-20sec

When I built this area I played with this base for around 4months and never had any major issues. It confuses me, that I have some now

Hm, that's odd.

Could you open Task Manager while in that zone and check your CPU, memory and disk usage? Are any of them excessively high?

Do you regularly defrag your harddisk? If that doesn't help, I'm getting the feeling your harddisk might have problems. It might be worth it to check it by going to the Explorer, right-clicking the drive letter, clicking properties, tools tab, and clicking the Check option. (Defragmentation is here as well.)

I had slowdowns too, although not that extreme of course. The game needed to load for a number of seconds every time I passed one of my mannequin rooms. It's undoubtedly the same for everyone with mechanical harddrives.
I bought SSDs some years back, and the problem disappeared like snow on the sun. Recommended, if you can spare the money!

Do you regularly defrag your harddisk? If that doesn't help, I'm getting the feeling your harddisk might have problems. It might be worth it to check it by going to the Explorer, right-clicking the drive letter, clicking properties, tools tab, and clicking the Check option. (Defragmentation is here as well.)

I had slowdowns too, although not that extreme of course. The game needed to load for a number of seconds every time I passed one of my mannequin rooms. It's undoubtedly the same for everyone with mechanical harddrives.
I bought SSDs some years back, and the problem disappeared like snow on the sun. Recommended, if you can spare the money!

Thank you very much! Since I activated automatic defrag I actually never manually did this. So I almost forgot about defrag issues.

I just had it manually defrag my drive and the game runs smooth.

We can mark it solved

Back
Top Bottom