Useful addition?

• Hell yes.

Votes: 47 90.4%
  • Hell no.

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
As always, I'm going to explain my train of thought that led me coming up with this idea, and how it branched out to solve multiple problems.

I started with this: "The Imp Staff is too easy to get". Maybe I needed to require a different crafting ingredient... because it's possible, though astronomically unlikely, that you can obtain the Imp Staff without having to kill the little punks.

What other problems will I be addressing today?

Without the Demolitionist, Hellfire Arrows are nonrenewable.

You don't have to forge anything in the depths of hell because you can take a Hellforge with you.

And grinding Hellstone is like hell. In a North Californian's terms, it's hella bad.

I present to you... the Hell Cinder. (Imagine Baconfry shoving a fistful of glowing coals in front of you... ouch.)

281zgya.jpg
Thanks Alpha_StevO!

Dropped from Lava Slimes and Hellbats (20%), Fire Imps, Demons, and Voodoo Demons (33%). Also dropped when cutting down Flaming Trees, which require a Molten Hamaxe or better. And are bomb-immune, duh. Flaming Trees will naturally spawn in Hell, and drop 1-2 Obsidian Acorns when cut down, as well as Hell Cinders. Obsidian Acorns are planted on Ash blocks and grow rather slowly, and the full-grown tree tends to be quirlte short.

Material.

First of all, I'm changing the recipe for the Imp Staff. Not just 17 Hellstone bars... I'm going to include 8 Hell Cinders in the recipe.

And we're going to lower the Hellstone Bar requirement for Molten equipment, replacing it partially with Hell Cinders.

What else?

Furnace + 15 Hell Cinders = Hellforge.
"But wait! What's the point? Can't I just mine one of those omnipresent Hellforges and take it home?"

Not anymore, you can't. Muahahaha. I'm going to make it so you can't break a Hellforge without Molten or higher. Also bomb immunity. Duh. And some sort of immunity granted to blocks underneath Hellforges, or else what's the point, right? This is so your first Hellstone bars will be smelted at the source, in the Underworld. Doesn't that feel right to you?

Unless you want to go through the effort of farming cinders to make a Hellforge yourself. Enjoy the grind.
(Actually, I'm debating with myself on whether to even add this.)

Finally: Hell Cinder + 33 Wooden Arrows = 33 Hellfire Arrows. Scrapping the old Hellstone recipe, because with the Demolitionist around, no one will be crafting those pre-Hardmode. Bars too valuable, man.

And Flask of Fire will be with Hell Cinders, too. Just going through the motions.

Now they're renewable. Look.

Any more uses? Anything else you can think of? Feedback is the greatest gift you can bestow, so hit me.

I do like the idea of a new tree type, but you could simply make hellforges unbreakable unless you have a molten pick or better, as well as destructible blocks beneath it. Demo man doesn't sell hellfire arrows in pre-hardmode, so hellstone bars are fine for the recipe, I think.

I do like the idea of a new tree type,
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/ashwood-tree.635/
This is where I took the idea after seeing this thread on TO. (Would you mind updating the main post, Baconfry? :))
you could simply make hellforges unbreakable unless you have a molten pick or better, as well as destructible blocks beneath it.
I'm going to make it so you can't break a Hellforge without Molten or higher. Also bomb immunity. Duh. And some sort of immunity granted to blocks underneath Hellforges, or else what's the point, right?
Demo man doesn't sell hellfire arrows in pre-hardmode, so hellstone bars are fine for the recipe, I think.
There's still the problem of "Why craft them at all in HM when I can sell a Bar and buy twice as many?"

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/ashwood-tree.635/
This is where I took the idea after seeing this thread on TO. (Would you mind updating the main post, Baconfry? :))

There's still the problem of "Why craft them at all in HM when I can sell a Bar and buy twice as many?"
A simple change in sell value can change that, much like how chains need a sell value change as you can now make 30 times as much with the same amount of material.

The main reasoning is that mining for Hellstone is tedious and boring, so adding a secondary ingredient to the Molten set gives us an excuse to reduce the number of bars required.

After that, changing crafting recipes to be renewable is something we may as well add.

I feel like Hellstone should be a component in crafting Hellforges, what with the whole brick upgrade and everything. I say 15 Hellstone +15 Hell Cinders + Furnace = Hellforge. I chose 15 because it's half as much as required for Adamantite or Titanium Forges.

2-3 obsidian skin potions.
Because they usually forgot those? Beats me. With one pot you can get around 200 or so of the ore. Usually done(all items that needs the ores) in less than half an hour of solid picking.

Not a bad idea. Got any sprites upcoming for the tree?

I like it and agree that the staff is a but too easy to get. I also like that hell cinder sprite.

I usually don't even use obsidianskin potions.. I just go into the obsidian buildings and mine the two nearest rows/columns from the obsidian bricks that are hellstone. Safe, cheap, and efficient.

Unless you want to go through the effort of farming cinders to make a Hellforge yourself. Enjoy the grind.
I honestly don't think it'd be very grind-y to make one... Unless of course the cinders burn in lava, in which case I'd just forge stuff at a pre-made hellforge...

...?... You're the one who suggested it...
That was last year, though... while it would be neat, I'm admitting that it's something that we could go without, and I would be fine with not having that feature. It's not an integral part of the suggestion.

How much would the Hell Cinders sell for? I guess it must be low enough that using them to craft Hellfire Arrows is more efficient that selling it to buy said arrows.

Back
Top Bottom