PC Hello and ... did I make a Booboo ?

Negator

Terrarian
Hi

Just discovered Terraria this Christmas, had on my steam account for years, never played seriously until now.... WOW ! What a game !!!

But after playing normal mode on a large world for a few days I noticed I would have to trash all my nice building work on a Normal world map to move to an Expert world map, which would cheese me off. So I figured I would just restart on an expert map. Sure, King Slime, Cthulhu and EoW were a bit harder but nothing that a bit of patience and arena building tech couldn't solve.

But I am now at Skeletron (I am still following the Guide's help " Find the Dungeon") and he is a lot harder - I am not out of ideas yet but I am now wondering if Expert worlds are supposed to be played with loot from the end-game of Normal worlds. There are a couple of vids on the internet that seem to say its possible but I am a just normal keen gamer rather than some console ace.

So, did I make a mistake completely restarting on Expert world so soon ?

And if not, should I be ignoring the guide ? (which I have already been doing to some extent to build my Hellevator amongst other things).

Happy New Year.

Skeletron is indeed one of the more difficult Expert Mode bosses, and you are supposed to beat him with contemporary gear (nothing is stopping you from importing end-game gear, but where's the satisfaction in that? :) ). I have tried and failed countless of times, and you really need to work out a strategy to beat him. I don't know if you want to figure one out yourself, because otherwise I could always give you mine (or someone else could give you theirs, there are probably plenty in the Guide subforum).

Also, if you have some previous experience with a playthrough (which you have), you can generally ignore the guide, although sometimes he might say something you didn't know yet.

Ehem. For those of us who find bosses to be slightly(or extremely) more daunting than expected, it is recommended to get gears above the bosses' tier, whenever possible. I don't mean bringing endgame items into a new game, but rather jumping tiers in accordance to the game mechanics.

For PHM bosses, hell-tier equipment works perfectly against them, and technically you don't have to even beat a single boss to get them, other than Shadow Chest items. All you have to do is either fish a Reaver Shark, or kill enough Creepers from BoC, or EoW segments to make the evil-tier pickaxe, either of which will allow you to mine hellstones. And in hell, getting the Demon Scythe is like getting a free pass to nearly all bosses(you'll still need to dodge and have the correct setup, but it'll take off quiet a bit of burden). Of course, surviving in Expert Hell is a different trial by fire entirely.

No advices for HM cause I haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet.

Thx for the fast responses:merchantsmile:

(nothing is stopping you from importing end-game gear, but where's the satisfaction in that? :) ).

Not in my head, not yet anyway.... And I have no objection to posting strats (in hidden/spoiler tags if they exist on this forum), but i hope I won't need them.

it is recommended to get gears above the bosses' tier, whenever possible. I don't mean bringing endgame items into a new game, but rather jumping tiers in accordance to the game mechanics.

Looks like I'm off exploring then. I already have the Shadow gear and pickaxe. Maybe my hellevator wasn't just a folly after all, and that jungle looks interesting too ....

A suggestion is to have a full playthrough of normal world before trying expert, the hardmode of a normal world is not easy, let alone which in expert.

For the skeletron, in my opinion, it's one of the most difficult boss in expert pre-hardmode world (harder than wall of flesh), so you'll need some well preparation. Like using Molen armor, all buffs available, lots of platforms for dodging etc. Also, the bee mount for queen bee and the Shield of Cthulhu would be helpful. For the weapons, I recommand The Bee's Knee, Molten Fury or Space Gun, the Star Cannon could also be used if you have more than 300 Fallen Star to spare.

In addition, you can bypass it and fight it at hardmode when you have Titanium Armor and Daedalus Stormbow with Holy Arrow.

A suggestion is to have a full playthrough of normal world before trying expert

Unfortunately I expected to take a while on my Normal Playthrough and I don't think I would have been happy doing all that exploring and building ( I've been using large maps) only to trash it all to move to an Expert mode world.

Of course that may have been a dumb move, and I could be playing this all wrong, hence the reason I posted this thread in the first place.

I know there is not supposed to be a wrong way to play Terraria, but if there is I'm the one likely to find it ;-)

For skeleton, the key component is a huge arena. Make sure you have a running space of around 400 blocks and multiple platforms to dodge its attacks. Hermes boots or the bunny mount are a necessity. For armor, you should be wearing hellstone. The bee's knees coupled with a hive pack will take out skeletron's hands pretty quickly so you can weaken its head. When skeletron's head spins, it is actually most vulnerable for it provides an easy target. Just run across your arena shooting the bow behind you. The cursed skulls he shoots can be hard to dodge. The best strategy I've come across is to jump/fly upward repeatedly while constantly moving. Make sure you have these potions: archery, iron skin, regen, bowl of soup, endurance, speed, and rage/wrath.

My preparation for this battle (might help you too):

Armor: Meteor Armor
I had this armor since it was the easiest to craft. Feel free to get Molten Armor if you want more defense.

Main weapons: The Bee's Knees with normal arrows or Molten Fury with frostburn arrows, Star Cannon (get at least 150 stars)
Secondary weapons: Bee Gun, Space Gun

Arena: I prefer an arena made out of 3-5 platforms, they should be 100 blocks wide, but feel free to make longer. Put campfires, heart lanterns for regen and star lanterns if you need faster mana regen (for magic weapons). You can make a cage just to be safe from fall damage, since it might occur during the battle.

Accessories: at least Spectre Boots (Lightning Boots are recommended), Cloud in a balloon (makes dodging a bit easier but it's not a must), band of regeneration (or mana regeneration band if you're mage), Hive Pack (if you use any bee-related weapon), Shield Of Cthulhu (helps a lot during the battle). You can use some other accessories you'd like. I reforged them to Warding (3 of them) and Menacing (2 of them).

During the battle, just dodge around and try to jump over his arms. If he's going to hit you, dash with the shield to avoid him. Use the bow to destroy one of his hands. If you can't get The Bee's Knees, get any other good bow. I suggest frostburn arrows for other bows. You can use the Space Gun or Bee Gun to attack his hands or his head.

Once it starts shooting homing skulls, switch to the Star Cannon. With a good supply of stars you'll deal large amounts of damage to him. However farming stars takes a lot of time and you'll spend a few nights on collecting these.

Thx for the tips.

So far I have been downstairs to get some Molten Armour and I am now exploring the jungle. I already have spectre boots.

Some interesting weapon choices being mentioned as I presently use musket. Space gun looks interesting and star cannon looks out there but I don't like the idea of using a bunch of stars and then failing :( - maybe I should get star cannon to finish the job quick once I get his health down a chunk.

No mention of Minishark ?? how come ?

I have a few Cthulhu Shields but I'm not well versed in using it.

Minishark
With its low base damage and boosted enemy stats in Expert, you won't get more than single digits per shot. It's quite a waste of resource, especially against bosses and anything with half decent defense.

Star Cannon is good, but only if you can afford the expensive ammo, stars.

Double tap when you're about to get hit. When you dash, you are invulnerable.

Thx for the tips.

So far I have been downstairs to get some Molten Armour and I am now exploring the jungle. I already have spectre boots.

Some interesting weapon choices being mentioned as I presently use musket. Space gun looks interesting and star cannon looks out there but I don't like the idea of using a bunch of stars and then failing :( - maybe I should get star cannon to finish the job quick once I get his health down a chunk.

No mention of Minishark ?? how come ?

The musket won't get you very far. I reccomend the bee's knees since the ammo is low-cost but highly damaging.

I tried and failed with most of the above weapons (except star cannon) - kept stun-locked by the head after taking out the hands.

I even tried the so-called OP meteor set (with pistol) and could not even use it to take out the hands,probably because loss of speed compared to the molten set.

I got fed up going from my base to the dungeon to try new strats so I built a sky-rail to the dungeon from my house.

Then I extended the railway to inside my boss arena at the dungeon, making a simple long bouncy loop.

Then I killed Skeletron first time (with Bees Knees and Demon Scythe) and now I have to take loads of potions I brought back to my house ;-))

LOL :D- why walk anywhere ?

Thx for the tips guys.

I tried and failed with most of the above weapons (except star cannon) - kept stun-locked by the head after taking out the hands.

My first expert fight was a double kill (both of us died in the same time, but as my character is softcore, I can simply come back and retrieve the loot).

From then on, I normally fight it at hardmode with at least Titanium Tier.

I'm softcore too.

While starting (almost) on an expert seemed like it might be mad for me, playing anything but softcore will be definitely INSANE for me except for maybe some rogue-like forays just for kicks.

I plan to put many construction hours into my nice large map...

Back
Top Bottom